‘Star Trek 3′: Roberto Orci Wants to Direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree with Dennis and BillJ, among others.

The plot wasn't hard to understand. It wasn't unnecessarily convoluted. It was, in my pedestrian opinion, a decent Star Trek movie. That's why I watched it, why I own it, and why I will continue to have in rotation on my personal video playing machine thingy.

The only part I really don't care for is Spock's scream, and I can get around that. Not a dealbreaker for me.

I tend to take these movies for what they are: entertainment. I read the threads here hoping to find little pieces of things I might have missed. Things that will make the next viewing more enjoyable.

What really bothers me is the attitude of some that these discussions must be conducted with someone's idea of structured rules. Strawman? Please. Take it back to Debate Club.

We're real people with real opinions, likes and dislikes. I don't think we should have to back up every opinion or random memory or offhand comment with 27 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

Every thread seems to deteriorate to the same complaints over and over and over. Ok, I get it. These movies are not perfect. They never have been and they never will be. Roddenberry's "vision" was not perfect. Berman and company were not perfect. None of the productions from TOS through STID are perfect. But they are Star Trek, and that's what I want to see.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

And you know perfectly well that is not what I'm talking about. You don't need to "fill a movie with exposition" to have a plot that makes sense and fits together without your audience needing to rewrite its basics for you.

Again, come on. You're pretty clearly smart enough for me to know that you know that. If you want to agree to disagree I'm fine with that, but don't resort to playing dumb like that.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

What he said. :techman:

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. As I've said, Khan not beaming up Kirk bothers me a lot, but my guess is the writers wrote themselves into a corner. If they have Khan beam Kirk up, too, it's end of story. So, they change his motivation. Some bought it, some didn't. And, it's not like it's kept me from watching TWOK a few times a year for the last thirty years, either. (Damn! The movie is over thirty years old?!)

When someone comes across the perfect movie, please post it here.

6. BigJake

Someone telling you why they don't like something is not them telling you you're wrong to like something. How can it be you don't grasp that? It isn't complicated, honestly.

... aaand now expecting a plot to make sense is demanding "the perfect movie." Yep. That'll do.

7. BillJ

If it was you simply explaining and debating what didn't work for you that would be one thing. But like I said in a prior post, you have went from claiming the Abrams films aren't aging well to Abrams making campy Trek films to how the plot "objectively" doesn't work.

You've been on a campaign for quite a while to tear down Into Darkness. The thing is I can't tell if you're being serious or if you're simply doing it for shits and giggles.

This is the thing that bothers me the most. People comparing Star Trek Into Darkness with a "Star Trek" that never existed to begin with.

8. BigJake

Welcome to life. Sometimes things you like will have actual flaws. :shrug:

9. BillJ

Like most of the seven-hundred hours of Star Trek?

I'm watching "The Trouble with Tribbles" right now. No way Cyrano Jones gets aboard a Federation facility with a Tribble. No way Kirk would be as flippant about the grain and Baris authority.

Still one of the top episodes of Trek.

10. BigJake

I honestly don't care whether it "bothers" you that I expect someone's responses to me to be relevant to something I actually said, sorry.

"Why Do You Keep On Having Opinions" is also pretty weak sauce. A conversation happened in which questions were asked and answered. You can choose to be part of that or not, not everyone is an Arguer and that's cool, but it's really not up to you to lecture other people about whether they should be having arguments.

I mean, you can try as you please, just don't expect it to be convincing. You're on a public forum, for God's sake.

11. BillJ

No one minds you having opinions (we all do). Where it has begun to rub me wrong way is when you present them as some immutable fact.

12. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that's ... ok. Because you're good enough, and smart enough, and doggone it, people like you. :lol:

So it's ok for people to have opinions, but not ok to have opinions about people having opinions, even when they're the same opinions over and over and over? Ok, fine. that's your opinion. :)

13. BigJake

Far as I can tell my opinions "begun to rub you the wrong way" from like my second post here in the fall. :lol: Which is cool, after all there's only so much I can (or will) do about that.

14. BillJ

Sometimes I find you a fairly intelligent poster. But other times you simply try too hard and it shows. :techman:

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Star Trek Into Darkness was a superb film.

I had a lot of issues going into it because people had basically spoiled half the damn thing for me in the weeks leading up to the film, but once I got past that I found the story, the characterization and the film itself as a whole to be quite satisfying, relevant to what's going on in the world today and more importantly entertaining.

Now, you guys can debate this till you're blue (or green) in the face, but that's my take on it. Critically and financially, it seems to be the case as well.

Based on that alone, I have complete faith that Bob Orci, a fan, will do a fine job with the third installment. Any other fretting, concern, ballyhooing, or crying about it is entirely premature and unnecessary.

16. BillJ

This.

17. BigJake

Oh, we're all quite agreed on that. Why do you think we're occupying ourselves with our eleven-gajillionth go-round about plot holes in STID? ;)

18. BillJ

I just watched Kirk and Spock make a laser out of a piece of bed frame, a couple of transponders and a 40-watt light bulb. MacGyver has got nothing on these guys! :lol:

Watching "Patterns of Force" which, honestly, is just a plain bad episode. But the chemistry between Shatner and Nimoy make it worthwhile. I see that same budding chemistry between Pine and Quinto and I think it's great.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No. The film's plot makes more than enough sense for the majority of viewers to understand what's going on. Really. It does. You want incoherent? Watch the theatrical release of Highlander 2. And calling me a liar upthread? Fuck off. Just because you appear to have difficulty making sense of the story doesn't mean everyone else who watched it suffered from your particular shortcoming.

20. BigJake

Yes.

I mean, Franklin and I went on to have a convo in detail about it, which involved some clarification that you might find helpful. You're welcome to engage with some of that, but don't go repeating the same stuff at me as if repetition alone is going to convince me. That's silly.

[​IMG]

Not what I was going for at all. When I said:

I hoped that would make it clear that I thought you were wrong, not lying, or more precisely that I disbelieved what you said not because it was a deliberate falsehood but because you were mistaking (or missing) the point.

However, I put it damned tactlessly and so any misunderstanding is on me. I apologize. Consider your name cleared. You are not a liar. You're just wrong. :techman:

Last edited: May 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.