DS9 - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by theblitz, Jun 20, 2012.

1. theblitz

theblitz Commander Red Shirt

LOL.
    Kinda sounds like what I was thinking.

Maybe someone needs to write the story and then sell it to Pocket.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Doesn't work that way. Pocket's editors solicit authors to develop/write novels for them. They don't buy pre-written works.

3. theblitz

I just received my copy of Rise Like Lions and of The Never Ending Sacrifice.
    However, I do not yet have the Destiny trilogy - only A Singular Destiny.
    So, can I read The Never Ending Sacrifice before Destiny?

4. Christopher

^I'm not aware of any continuity connections between The Never Ending Sacrifice and Destiny. You can read them in whatever order you like. They're totally separate works that just happen to be set in the same universe.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there's one:

It was Destiny: Mere Mortals that first established Garak as Cardassian Ambassador to the Federation, a status Never-Ending Sacrifice also featured.

6. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I'm pretty certain...

Robinson's short story "The Calling" and Articles of the Federation both established Garak as the ambassador before that. (Specifically, AoF refers to a debate between Garak and Lwaxana on the senate floor.)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  7. theblitz

So, not to read?

(I didn't click the buttons).

8. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not entirely true. See spoiler:

"The Calling" does not establish Garak as ambassador, since his trip to Earth in that story never really happened - it was just part of his Vinculum vision. Articles however does count.

You're fine, go ahead and read. Lions and Sacrifice both come before Destiny chronologically, and the small connections there are will not spoil the story in the slightest.

9. theblitz

Great.
    Will keep me busy for the time til my massive pile of books arrive.

Then I will have enough to keep me going for about 6 months.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Articles is actually referencing a scene first established, IIRC, in The Brave and the Bold, also by KRAD. But neither source establishes that Garak is the permanent Cardassian Ambassador to the UFP; rather, they established that in the immediate aftermath of the war, he was a diplomatic envoy to the UFP without establishing any particular office, such as the permanent ambassadorship. That might seem like a minor distinction, except that Garak appears in Worlds of Deep Space Nine, set after the famous spat with Ambassador Troi, and he is not Cardassian Ambassador to the UFP in that story.

11. theblitz

Finished it.

Absolutely awesome book. One of the best in the DS9-R IMHO.

Small problem - I am out of ST books for the next few weeks.

12. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is all ways a bad thing to let happen :(

13. theblitz

Yeah.
    I am stuck with reading other sci-fi books.

I do have A Singular Destiny but can't read it now cos the omnibus of the other Destiny books is stuck in London til the start of September.

In a couple of weeks I will have a whole pile of books:

Zero Sum Game
    Rough Beasts of Empire
    Paths of Disharmony
    Plagues of Night
    Raise the Dawn
    Brinksmanship

But as I said, all those are unreadable til I get my Destiny book.

So, I ordered and will get soon, some books to tide me over:

Tales From the Captain's Table
    Captain's Table Omnibus

Day of the Vipers
    Night of the Wolves
    Dawn of the Eagles

Prophecy and Change

Probably should be enough to keep me busy for a month.

14. theblitz

So, finally I can read my Destiny books.
    HOWEVER, looking as the "Almighty" reading list and also here: http://shastrix.com/books/star_trek/readingorder.php
    it is implied that I need to read Resistance, Q & A, Before Dishonour and Greater Than the Sum before I read Destiny.

Is it so or can I manage without them?

15. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eeeehhhh.... you can mostly get away without it. It would give you a nice run-up, but they're not vitally important.

I hope it's not too much of a spoiler to say that three of those four involve the Borg. But the Borg they deal with are a subset cut off from the main collective and not really associated with them. They are conclusively dealt with by the end of Greater Than the Sum.

Whereas the Borg in Destiny are the real Borg, all of them, all at once. What they do is not especially related to what the subset Borg in Res, BD and GttS do. There's a pretty big story development in Dishonour, but that's not picked up on so much in the Destiny books so much as it is in the Voyager re-relaunch.

All you really need to know to set you up for Destiny is a sense of Picard's nightmare just keeping on coming and coming and coming, and he's getting closer and closer to breaking point over it. Everything else you'll pick up as you go.

So, final answer, it wouldn't hurt to read them, but you can manage without.

16. Christopher

Nothing in that reading list is about "need." Except for installments of duologies or trilogies, every book is designed to be understandable on its own. Reading a whole sequence of interconnected books is an option to give you a larger perspective; it is not a mandate.

And while I'm clearly biased in this, I'd say that if you wanted to read something leading in to Destiny, the only one you'd need is Greater Than the Sum. That book was specifically written to be a transitional work, tying off loose threads from the previous three books and bringing them to a decisive conclusion while also setting up what lay ahead in Destiny. It's the book that introduces several characters who are significant in subsequent novels, notably Jasminder Choudhury and T'Ryssa Chen, and basically locks down the standard post-Nemesis command crew for the Enterprise-E after the shifting roster of the previous few novels (although there have been a couple of departures since). I intentionally wrote it to be a fresh start, and it brings the readers up to speed on anything they need to know from the previous three books, so it's a good jumping-on point. And its epilogue is essentially a prologue to Destiny. So it's not essential for understanding that trilogy, but it is much more of a companion piece for the trilogy than the previous three books were.

17. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, at least read GTTS. That novel has a pretty deep summary of everything that happened in the previous three. If you're annoyed when characters are referring to stuff that happened and you didn't read it, then you might find GTTS frustrating, but it will bring you up to date on all the events that you missed rather effectively.

You probably want to read Before Dishonor if you're planning on reading Beyer's Voyager novels, though.

18. theblitz

Now I am confused. :)

I started Destiny and it seems to be ok so far.
    Going back to read Greater Than the Sum would mean having to order the book and wait 3 or 4 weeks.
    I tend to buy the books second-hand - which makes it much cheaper.

Buying an e-copy would start to get expensive and I will not download "bootleg" versions (maybe if I already have the had-copy version I might allow myself to do so).

Since I have started I think I will just continue and see what happens.
    It already refers to things that happened in the other books but, as people have said, there is enough information to be able to follow the story anyway.

Maybe once I finish Destiny and Typhon (and by then maybe The Fall) I will go back and fill in.

Not reading anywhere near as quick as I was last year. Got through 26 books in 52 weeks last year. Way behind that now. All because of Candy Crush. :)

19. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

^ YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!!

No kidding, as long as you're enjoying it!

20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Keep reading Destiny theblitz. Since you've started already there's no reason to stop now.