My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

Desert Crossing
    [​IMG]

This one seemed like it would be kind of bad right off the bat. It wasn’t all bad, though. Okay, here’s something that keeps getting to me. How are they able to eat food from all over the place and never get sick? Everyone’s food agrees with them? Even here we have people that are lactose intolerant and/or have celiac disease, not to mention various allergies. And that’s eating our own food. With this being the first team searching around, it just doesn’t make any sense. Well, that’s enough from me. Here’s to the “essence” of male alien animals. :ack:

Grade: C minus

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the gastric equivalent of the Universal Translator. The Vulcans gave it to earth so humans would stop ruining diplomatic dinners by getting the runs.

As to Desert Crossing, the whole point is when they take off their shirts. Nothing else matters.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

In Star Trek, every alien can reproduce and eat each other's food.

In Stargate, 99% of the universe is populated by English-speaking humans.

Sci-fi's funny sometimes.

4. teacake

I'm sticking with the gastric translator. You all can make up the breeding techno babble :lol:

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really as quick as I usually am to jump in on Enterprise's flaws, I gotta give them a pass on this one. All of Trek is guilty of this one. Gastric translator? Why not?

As for the breeding, medical technobabble at it's best. Phlox was able to do some magic to let T'Pol and Trip breed. Bashir the same with Jadzia and Worf. Unless we want to think one of them invented a "embryonic translator" or something. :p

6. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Thing is, if you really want to make some medical sense avec breeding, etc., you need to think test tube babies and surrogates. Which means that plot devices like unwanted babies and unknown fathers (except for stealing sperm, eek, why oh why did I go there?) cannot, by definition, exist.

Gastric translator = 22nd century Immodium.

7. Spock/Uhura Fan

I guess for me, I always thought that because Starfleet had been in contact with alien races for well over a century starting with TOS, that meant that it was known what agreed with our systems and what didn't, and obviously you don't eat what doesn't. If there's some kind of pill or potion that can be taken so that food can be eaten universally, then why did the tactical officer have to take something specific just so he could eat pineapple? I guess my thing is, in order to have a pill or injection that makes all foods alright, you'd have to know about those foods to create that pill or injection, right? Since this is the first mission/voyage, how could that have happened? I don't think the Vulcans gave them such a pill or what have you because they've already come across people that the Vulcans never met (like in this episode?). Even the TOS people were (also) charting unknown territory, and I don't think they ate the food from every planet they came across that had inviting races, but I haven't seen the whole of that series so I could be wrong.

I dunno, I just thought it was weird. I guess it comes down to what Skywalker said: Sci fi is funny sometimes.

EDIT: And not to keep thinking about it, but they could at least scan the food with their tricorders (or whatever they are in this era) to see if it would be agreeable. That would make sense.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Two Days and Two Nights
    [​IMG]

Not much to say. It was okay. The only person that truly had a good time was Hoshi. Good for her. As a side note, the actress that plays Odo’s love interest in “A Simple Investigation” is featured in this episode.

Grade: C

9. teacake

The alien woman with the dog Archer was flirting with completely creeped me out. And not just because she was eeevil.

Also, nice new avatar S/UF, go TAS!

10. R. Star

Yeah after so many episodes of them heading to Risa and getting sidetracked the "payoff" was little more than a gag episode with little substance. Reed and Tucker get mugged by two aliens men they thought were women, Archer get seduced by a spy and her dog, and Hoshi shows a random alien how good a tongue she has. Yay? :p

11. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ahh... shuttlepod one... Reed and Tucker sealing hull breaches with mashed potato and meatloaf lol

From the way the food managed to keep the atmosphere inside the shuttle, i wouldn't want that inside my stomach lol

M

12. Spock/Uhura Fan

^ Neither would I, lol. Btw, love the Jadzia avatar. :)

She was okay for me, but she didn't seem to have any real chemistry with Archer.

And thanks. I've never even seen TAS, but I loved the illustration. :)

13. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

thanks, loving your TAS av as well :D

M

14. Spock/Uhura Fan

:D

15. Spock/Uhura Fan

Shockwave
    [​IMG]

Sooo, I was right when I took teacake’s little “cough” to mean that some time paradoxes would be in play. ;)

Mkay, let me get this straight. Daniels couldn’t come back to the present because that’s the future of the timeline that he died in, so he had to go back to the past, where he wasn’t, but now is in order to warn and then “rescue” Archer, which takes them to a future that was destroyed in a past they now can’t get out of because the future technology that allowed them to time travel no longer exists. Okay.

Oh, and they’re standing in some kind of post-apocalyptic something-or-other at the end of the episode.

Grade: C plus

I thought about skipping season 2 because this season wasn’t the best to me. It was okay, but nothing special. The only reason why I’ve decided to watch season 2 is because it kind of doesn’t make sense to watch seasons 3 and 4, only missing the second season. I might as well tough it out and just watch this next season too.

16. teacake

Wow you're a tough marker, I loved Shockwave.

As to the time stuff, I just bleep through it as Janeway does.

"Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache. "
    Janeway, Future's End

Also.. let's PUNCH IT.

:D

17. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I think some of the destroyed city aspect was in homage to 9/11 (and sorry for saying that on the anniversary of, but that's how it struck me at the time, and still does). Attractive to feel that such things can be prevented with some time travel manipulation, not so attractive when our own ugly history isn't prevented/changed/perfected/smoothed over.

18. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

The Temporal Cold War stuff was forced upon the show by UPN and really doesn't make any sense. The thing that really bugged me was the ridiculous gymnastics they had to go through to make it somewhat plausible that Archer would ever actually need to be involved, it never was.

I think your making the right decision in pushing through season 2 but be warned that most people consider it even worse then season 1 but however bad it gets just know that seasons 3 and 4 are much much better.

19. R. Star

The Temporal Cold War is really the most ridiculous of plot concepts ever. Hey time travel is now SO cliche, we're going to make it a major plot element!

The whole episode is just silly. Archer's so upset over the death of some 3000 miners but was perfectly fine with the resolution in Dear Doctor? Daniels leaving his Time Travel for Dummies kit just laying around which conviently has specifications for just about everything is absurd. You think they'd build these advanced time travel kits in with self-destructs or something for the very reason of preventing people from doing just what Archer did. But time travel makes no sense, so why should their tools? Or if Daniels just trusts Archer, then refer to my prevous comment on Daniels being the worst time travel agent ever. Archer brought in another person, who had to be restrained from looking elsewhere in the data base.

Plus this nifty cloak detecting technology isn't going to uninvent itself once Archer's done with it. Oh wow, the Suliban, who are already known to be dabbling in temporal crap themselves even by Archer's merry band, try and kidnap Archer in response to his raid, didn't see that coming... I'm SOOOOO shocked. Well apparently mister timescrewup Daniels was by that sudden devolopment(guess he should've lent Archer the cloaking specs too), and yanks him out of time... yep just like that... well nice to see there are some consequences to this however silly.

Next time on Enterprise: The reset button is pushed.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

Not a fan of Shockwave either for most of reasons above. I usually just skip and go to..is it Carbon Creek after 2nd parter?