So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shows how opinions can differ, I guess. I just finished The Peacekeepers as well and loved it, 4/5.

It's an especially impressive achievement in context, because it was written when TNG hadn't even aired yet, yet shows a surprisingly good feel for the characters, e.g. by pairing up Geordi and Data.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Geordi-Data pairing was specified in the series bible.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished the fabulous Forgotten History and I'm about 80 pages into The Rings of Time.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finally started Star Trek Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by David R. George III, and Greg Cox's "The Dark Knight Rises" novelization.

5. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just recently read "The Romulan War: To Brave The Storm" and posted my review here for anyone who is interested.

Actually currently reading "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz"

6. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn the other day. I'm now reading Psych: Mind-Altering Murder.

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good to see another chronological reader!

8. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished Neverwhere - finally. Also read Divergent by Veronica Roth and The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. I've given up on Stirling for now. Moving on to The People of Sparks, the sequel to The City of Ember.

9. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Currently re-reading "Misery" by Stephen King. Pretty messed up at points, but King sure knows how to write.

Next in my chronological Trek read-through is: Assignment Eternity by Greg Cox!

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just uploaded my review for S.P. Somtow's TNG novel, Do Comets Dream?.

Getting behind on my reviews, and life is going to get much busier soon! Currently reading Errand of Vengeance #2: Killing Blow by Kevin Ryan.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished the Omen machine by Terry Goodkind.I plan on reading Startrek Titan Fallen Gods by Micheal A. Martin.

12. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Quickly read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon (2003) and during this time I read "Ex Machina" by Christopher L. Bennett (2005). This TOS novel is very good. The plausibility structure has been ratcheted up to new heights. The characters have been given a just treatment. I also just read "King John" by Shakespeare in preparation for going to Bard-on-the-Beach behind the Space Center at Kits (Kitsilano) Beach in Vancouver. Currently reading the missed early TOS book "Mutiny on the Enterprise" (TOS #12) by Robert E. Vardeman (1983). For non-fiction, reading "Joining Together" (5th ed.) by D.W. Johnson & F.P. Johnson (1994) which is an albeit old but good introduction to working with groups (which actually may say something about ship crews too).

13. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Stayed up real late last night to finish out A Time for War, A Time For Peace. Really enjoyed it. It's a nice coda to the A Time To... novels and a great "epilogue" to the TNG Movie Era, as well. The close ties of Hate/Kill/WarPeace really makes it feel like a united story arc, something missing from the first 6 books. My only real complaint about the book is that it feels like was written to be two books, but then got reduced into one. It moves fast, but a lot feels like it happens off-page. Still really enjoyable though.

I'm going to give the few short stories in Sky's the Limit set after Nemesis a read, and then Riker's Captain's Table tale. After that I'm going to take a little break from TrekLit for a bit, as I've been pretty much laser focused on it for the past year or so.

I think before getting into the Post-Nemesis TrekLit Universe, I may do a chronological read through of the recent Mirror Universe stuff - along with the 3 DS9 books - as that's a nice bit of reading, but fairly contained.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

I just started Stargazer: Gauntlet.

15. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn I'm jelous of how fast some of you can read. I'm currently starting St. Augustine's City of God.

16. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished This Star Shall Abide by Sylvia Engdahl today. Started The People of Sparks last night.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I literally just finished the fifth The Dresden Files book, Death Masks, a couple minutes before logging on. I loved it, I thought it was one of the best books in the series so far.
    My Selfari rating: 5/5
    I started the last STTOS: Mere Anarchy novella, Its Hour Come Round by Margaret Wander Bonnano.

18. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently read Wired and its sequel Amped.

19. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

British crime month for me.Zipping through the Tom Thorne series by Mark Billingham.
    The character has made it to the small screen recently with Thorne being played by Dr. Who alumnus David Morrisey but I can only visualize Tim Roth in the role.:techman:

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I changed my mind after posting, this. I've decided to change to STVOY: Children of the Storm instead. I've been hearing people rave about it since it first came out, so I'm really looking forward to it.