So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Vulcan's Forge by Josepha Sherman and Susan Schwartz. Wanted to get this one done before I read the recent trilogy. I had already read Vulcan's Heart and was under the impression that Forge was the sequel. Whoops.

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just finished the first New 52 Green Lantern collection. Next up is Wonder Woman vol.1 and Batman & Robin vol.1. Hopefully they're good ones :techman:

3. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished A Time to Kill early this morning. Really good, really well paced. Now onto to A Time to Heal.

I'm slightly annoyed because the Kindle version of Heal only has chapters 1, 2 and 3 demarcated on the progress bar and no others. I like to break up my day by reading a chapter here and there, and like to have a general sense of how long a chapter is. When the Kindle books don't have an easy way to discern this, I get miffed!

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I just finished Energized by Edward M. Lerner and Star Trek: Titan: Fallen Gods.

5. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Just finished Lost Moon: the Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13, Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger. Now I'm starting Failure Is Not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13, by Gene Kranz. Appropriate stuff given the impeding Mars landing...

6. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Robots: The Recent AI was very enjoyable, although most of the stories were more about disembodied AIs than actual robots. I guess with today's wireless technology the idea of a computer intelligence staying housed in one body is just becoming unrealistic.

I just finished up Torchwood: Almost Perfect. A very quick read, but also pretty fun, which is not a word I usually associate with Torchwood! It was good to spend some time with Captain Jack again.

I'm looking forward to starting Titan: Fallen Gods today. Up on deck after that is Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got that to read as well. Looking forward to that one.

After many years away from Trek literature, I've recently started on the Voyager relaunch novels. Really enjoyed Homecoming, and now about halfway through The Farther Shore.

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night yesterday and immediately started Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn.

9. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Just re-read The Phantom Menace. It's a lot better than the movie, to be certain. Many things that made zero sense in the film did in the book. (ie, Anakin's appearance isn't as random, since he's introduced earlier in the book).

Now, I'm reading (for the first time) The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh by Greg Cox. So far, I'm mesmerized!

10. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I am almost finished with Jim Rogers: Adventure Capitalist. He has some great insights.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

Failure is Not an Option is a great read. Hope you guys like it.

12. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading a book on Prohibition, Last Call by Daniel Okrent. Pretty good so far, and he does a nice job of painting portraits of the people involved. He tends to follow their narrative threads one at a time though, for the most part, which means that sometimes I'm confused as to the chronology of events. That he needs to divert and describe social history at points doesn't help that particular aspect, but it's a complex topic and he does a very good job of bringing it all together. I'm definitely not putting this one down.

I've also been going a little bit crazy for comic books ever since seeing The Dark Knight Rises and have been checking out a bunch from the library, and even reading them right there in the bookstore. I'll do a mass review blog of them when I've finished the current wave.

13. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Here's what I read in July:

07/01/2012 Where is the Bird of Fire? (na) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/03/2012 Betrayer of Worlds (audiobook) by Larry Niven & Edward M. Lerner
    07/04/2012 Lady of the Bees by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/07/2012 How are the Mighty Fallen by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/07/2012 God and Science: Return of the Ti-Girls (gn) by Jaime Hernandez
    07/11/2012 Ringworld (audiobook) by Larry Niven
    07/11/2012 The Beach Boys FAQ: All That’s Left to Know about America’s Band by Jon Stebbins
    07/13/2012 Viewpoint (ss) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/14/2012 The Dolphin and the Deep (na) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/14/2012 Vashti (nv) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/15/2012 Bear (nv) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/15/2012 Outland: The Complete Library Sunday Comics 1989-1995 (gn) by Berkeley Breathed
    07/16/2012 The Manor of Roses (na) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/17/2012 The Stalking Trees (nv) by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/19/2012 The Ringworld Engineers (audiobook) by Larry Niven
    07/21/2012 The Weirwoods by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/24/2012 Wolfwinter by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/27/2012 The Ringworld Throne (audiobook) by Larry Niven
    07/30/2012 The Gods Abide by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/31/2012 The Tournament of Thorns by Thomas Burnett Swann
    07/31/2012 The Lost Beach Boy by Jon Stebbins with David Marks

It was a fun month!

14. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reading DS9: Warpath

15. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just wrote my review for the latest new Trek release, Michael A. Martin's Titan: Fallen Gods.

Currently reading an early novel, Majliss Larson's Pawns and Symbols. Hoo boy, working to get through this one.

16. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished A Time to Heal last night. Really enjoyed it, if after a while I started to not care for the supernumeraries getting mercilessly slaughtered. It just got be one of those don't get attached to anyone outside of the main cast books. The political machinations were quite interesting and played really well. Kill/Heal has been the best of the bunch for me, by quite a wide margin. Question: is it pronounced Tez-wah, Tease-wah, Tee-Zewah? My gut is the first one, but just curious. Now onto A Time for War, A Time for Peace. Is there a reason that this is a single volume? Seems odd to have a series of duologies and then end with a single volume.

As I'm close to finishing the TNG Movie Era, I jumped back to read some of the things I haven't gotten to yet. Mainly this is just short stories and comics, but there are two novels. TNG/X-Men: Planet X I'm holding out on until I finish the A Time to... novels as I got it too late to put into my chronological reading order. Double Helix: Double or Nothing I've heard is much more of a NF novel than a TNG novel and will wait to read it in proper context. However, after finishing Heal last night I went and read through a bunch of the short stories and comics I hadn't gotten to yet.

Short Stories: 'Til Death was a quite enjoyable read from Sky's the Limit, it doesn't 100% jibe with the A Time to... books, but it makes more sense after Heal as I thought it would, rather than after Hate as Memory Beta has it. A good Riker story, if it's a bit absurd. But it has the Fabrini who I love. Bedside Matters from Amazing Stories was a cute, quick story. I wish the story had a bit more time to breathe, but it's fun. I like the image of the EMH struggle to examine a cat that it put into my head. Then I finished up with The Captain and the King from Enterprise Logs. I must admit I really didn't like it, and really didn't see the need for it to be a Captain's Table Tale. As well, that type of structure got in the way of the telling of the story. Really disjointed and sloppy writing. I was surprised how close it was to what we know of Andorian culture that was extrapolated on after this story was published - though it differs quite a bit too.

Finally, I read two comics. Star Trek Unlimited #7 - Infinite Jest was a really fun story about the launching of the E-E under Jean-Luc where Q and Trelane interfere. Enjoyed it a fair bit. And then I read Star Trek Unlimited #10 - A Piece of Reaction which was good, but not great. Some art quibbles, but again just an enjoyable one-off for the TNG movie era and a fun sequel to a TOS story.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  17. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Burning Dreams by Margaret Wadne Bonanno. This book fills in some details about the early years of Christopher Pike as he gets used to his new life on Talos IV post Menagarie. Adequete story but somewhat plodding.

18. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Just finished an early TNG novel, 'The Peacekeepers' by Gene Deweese. Absolutely terrible book. 1/5

Just started 'Lightning' by Dean Koontz

19. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished A Time to Kill. Wish I had followed the advice give waaay back and just skipped the rest of the Time To series. This was far and away the best of the series. Much of the other books was quite meh.

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Currently on the third volume of Brian Bendis' original New Avengers run. Liking it so far :techman: