Could the next Trek TV series be shot in 3-D?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Apr 26, 2011.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Okay guys and gals forward thinking...
    Currently 3-D is a niche for theatrical FX and animated movies.
    For TV there are some sports and about 3 cable/satellite linear channels and a couple of on-demand 3-D channels for niche programming. The thought of scripted dramas on TV in 3-D was just a thought a year ago.

Yesterday in the TV industry magazine Broadcasting & Cable there was an article about Primetime television dramas being in 3-D.
    Here is what James Cameron said via Google cache:
    Now we already know that Paramount wants Trek XII shot in 3-D. That's fine and good as it's theatrical movie distribution.

CBS Television is already looking into converting Star Trek older TV episodes into 3-D for further income from that older profitable property.

In 3 years from now Trek XIII will be in preproduction or else there will be development on the next Trek TV series. The TV landscape may have changed by then and Viacom (owner of CBS Television) may have 1 or 2 national 3-D channels. HBO and Showtime may have 3-D channels by then.

If the next Trek TV series were shot in 3-D then we are back at the question from this thread:
    What channel should a new Trek TV series be on?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well there's a thought. If 3D TV really starts to take off - or broadcasters want to push it - that might be good news for the space opera genre in general. TV shows are too talk-oriented vs. action-oriented for 3D to make much sense. Solution: get more action-oriented genres on the tube.

CBS's demo is still wrong for Trek, tho. Also wrong for 3D. Old folks don't like change. :rommie:

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think the adoption of 3D for television is going to come as quickly as it has for movies.

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

3d gives me migraines.

5. Temis the Vorta

If the movie industry wants to sell all those 3D movies for home viewing, they've gotta start pushing 3D TV sales. And that means a market for the ever-more-desperate TV industry. Broadcast TV in particular is suffering, and they need something to come along to save their asses. Nothing else is on the horizon, that's for sure.

But here's the real reason the TV industry will latch onto 3D. Imagine 3D ads! Now 100% more obnoxious! :rommie:

6. jefferiestubes8

John Noble, who plays Walter and Walternate on Fringe
    was interviewed by The Hollywood Reporter about the next season of Fringe.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fringe-qa-john-noble-explains-181486

It's this kind of thinking that will get the next Star Trek TV series possibly shot in 3-D in 3-5 years from now.

7. Temis the Vorta

Most TV shows aren't visual/action based enough to take good advantage of 3D like movies do. But when the TV biz wants to push 3D (so they have something new to sell to advertisers if nothing else), then 3D might spark more interest in visual/action based TV shows.

And in that way, 3D might be the thing that drags Star Trek back onto the small screen.

8. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

Unlikely. By the time another Trek TV series has been given the greenlight, this whole 3D fad will have blown over.

Heh heh. That might not be true at all, but I can hope can't I?

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'm hoping along with you! Take a look at this, it appears consumers are literally not buying it at this point either. Fingers crossed.

10. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Of course they're not buying it...they (we, I) just bought a new HDTV a couple of years ago. Why shell out a couple of thousand dollars for limited programming?

Also, recession.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

You're largely correct, although I do feel glasses, whether active or passive, are a major hurdle to be overcome by the CE manufacturers. From my own perspective, I would probably be viewed as a prime candidate for early adoption of this technology, being an obsessive home cinema enthusiast for many years. If and when completely autonomous (large scale) 3D displays become a reality and are practical in as much as you don't have to sit in a "sweet spot" to enjoy the full effect, my interest may be piqued.

But to be honest, I've found 3D to be both gimmicky and distracting. I've enjoyed Blu-ray titles such as Avatar and Tron Legacy at home way more than in the theatre. I have a lot of friends who are also AV enthusiasts who share my viewpoint.

I've been to a number showrooms to demo 3D televisions, and frankly, it's just horrible - the image looking “headache-inducingly” over processed and incredibly fake. For me, I wouldn't have a moments hesitation choosing a quality 2D display.

12. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

As someone that's just helped finished 20 episodes of 3D shows for 3net, let you tell you right now - IT'S &^%$#@ TOUGH TO DEAL WITH!

13. jefferiestubes8

While nothing certain the fact that CBS owns star trek this would be an ideal place to launch a new trek series in 3-D say in 2016.
    http://mobile.broadcastingcable.com/article/470525-CBS_Testing_Waters_for_3D_Cable_Net_Sources.php

14. Temis the Vorta

More likely we'll get CSI 3D. :rommie:

15. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love Mickey's PhilharMagic, and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, and Toy Story Midway Mania, and MuppetVision, and the new-and-improved Star Tours.

I went out of my way to see Tron: Legacy in non-3D, which is pretty much what I do with any 3D theatrical film.

From which I think you can probably guess my opinion of where 3D films belong.

I'm just praying that the next ST TV series (assuming there is one) isn't in the Abramsverse.

16. LOKAI of CHERON

Yes, I do the same now.

17. Minion

Minion Cadet Newbie

There's an article on cnn talking about 3d tv and gamming not taking off

general points are low interest , too costly , gimmicky , and so on

Honestly i would recommend that any new trek series focus on Story and not on getting this sort of stuff into the show.

18. jefferiestubes8

Now after seeing the re-releases of The Lion King & Beauty & The Beast in 3-D I can see Paramount hedging their bets and shooting the next Trek TV series in stereoscopic 3-D in HD resolution.
    I think they would just use the Left eye 2-D & finish post production in 2-D though for the initial run, keeping the archival tapes for a possible conversion if it were as popular as TNG for down the road...
    That's if they don't do the pilot in stereoscopic 3-D from start to finish. It would be cool to see the pilot in 3-D in cinemas as a promotional device say 4 months before the series premieres and the series would be broadcast in 2-D. A great way to generate pre-Summer buzz and move Trek to a 3-D experience since the Trek XII probably wont be in 3-D.
    It's a very similar to this idea I've brought up before:
    from this thread:
    next Trek series pilot in cinemas as double feature from Paramount?

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

No 3D for me, thank you. I've only seen one 3D movie and it gave me a nasty headache. I wear glasses too, and putting glasses on over my glasses isn't much fun.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

3D is already on the wane in the USA and the big studios and electronics retailers are nervous because the rest of the world is usually about 18 months behind American trends.

Most movies in 3D add very little to the experience. In many cases it degrades the picture quality, and for home use it is very limited - who sits around at home wearing 3D spectacles ?

It's just another marketing fad attempting to sell more stuff to the same people - are you really going to bin your newish HD TV and Blurays to repurchase them in 3D ?

Or put it this way - did you sell your CD's and repurchase your music collection on Minidisc ?