Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Sep 6, 2012.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    After watching that dreadful pilot, read the Jodi Picoult graphic. Would much rather have seen adaptation of that.

for your consideration :) (she apparently matches DC bio stats)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Hollywood producers haven't got a clue. Wonder Woman is not just the way she looks, her history is important too, if you change it too much, you get a different character.

Hollywood producers often get too creative in reinventing old characters and not creative enough in writing stories for them.

3. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pure truth...

You need to stick with the origins with Wonder Woman, as with all comic to TV / Movie franchise... otherwise you might as well call it a ripoff and be done with it...

Wonder Woman was crafted from clay, and given birth by Zeus and Hera... she does not have 'parents' in the traditional sense, and was raised by Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons...

It makes me cringe when i see Tv shows and movies where they've taken the character, given them a completely different back story and motivations, and tried to pass it off as the original...

M

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"She" who? You didn't say who that is.

Well, actually, in the current "New 52" DC Comics continuity,
    it's been revealed that Diana's "molded from clay" origin story was a lie and she's actually the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus.

It's the nature of long-running myths and tales that they get reinvented and reinterpreted. That's not wrong. It's part of how creativity has always worked for as long as human beings have told stories. Heck, the whole Wonder Woman mythos is based on a very, very loose retelling of elements from Greek mythology, changing a wealth of detail and substance. If the comics were faithful to what mythology says about the Amazons, then Wonder Woman would've cut off (or cauterized) her right breast in adolescence -- or more likely would never have been born at all because Hercules would've killed Hippolyta thousands of years ago. So it's frankly pretty hypocritical to complain about people changing the details of Wonder Woman's story. There would be no Wonder Woman if Marston hadn't played extremely fast and loose with his source material.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

6. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

So basically NOW Wonder Woman is a Demigod, much like Hercules and Percy Jackson in the Percy Jackson novels. In Percy Jackson novels, Demigods are mortal, they age, but they gain powers from their godly parent, in Wonder Woman's case those powers would include the strength of Hercules, since Zeus is the god of the sky, she might have the power of flight or she might not, I don't think she can cast lightning bolts.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That's Thor's gimmick. :p

8. wondertrash

wondertrash Cadet Newbie

The lady is Daniella van Graas, a Dutch/American model/actress.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A model? Hell, you might as well cast a Beauty Pageant Queen.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    And a Mexican one at that...

11. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You could just cast Sting himself and have the show take place late in his life.

Oh and for added horror, have him perform any of his post-Police material (excluding All This Time).

OH GOD ITS LIKE WILLIAM HUNG DOING AN IMPRESSION OF MCCARTNEY. GOD MAKE IT STOPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh Lord, I was lucky enough to avoid that, She Bang, was plenty enough for me of William Hung

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Hey!!!! I like The Dream of The Blue Turtles!!!!!

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where was everybody getting the whole high school thing earlier in the thread? In all of the stuff I read the only way they compared it Smallville was by saying it would be a young Diana just starting out as a superhero. I don't see where any of what was said prevents them from following the traditional WW origin. The show could just follow her as she's new to "Man's World" and learning about our society and at the same time starting the path to becoming a superhero. I think it's worth keeping in mind that the guy who is trying to put the show together has a history with comic books, and Wonder Woman specifically. So he should have at least some familiarity with the traditional portrayal and history or the character.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here! Leave Sting alone.

On the other hand, how about William Hung as Constantine?

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just because Smallville, being a teen drama based on the exploits of Superboy, is quintessentially a story whose protagonist is a teenager. Granted, it proves nothing, but why make a comparison with respect to tangential elements? In other words, why compare it to Smallville, if the better and more obvious comparison is to Batman Begins?

17. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Being good looking and in good physical shape usually go together, I wouldn't want Wonder Woman to be a "fat slob" would you? Personally, I think she would make an excellent choice to play Wonder Woman, just as I think Taylor Swift would have played an excellent Supergirl. I think having a foreign accent would help in this role, I hope she doesn't Americanize her speech too much.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Because the CW is not interested in any kind of show like the movie BB, they would rather have something poorly written aimed at teens like Smallville.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As always, it's important to read carefully and pay attention to the difference between what an official source actually says and what a reporter talking about it says. We have no quotes from any network official or producer stating that they intend this show to resemble Smallville in any way. All we have is the reporter from the original article saying, "Think Smallville, but...." So that's just the reporter's spin, and we can't assume it reflects the creators' intentions.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I didn't have that many problems with Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman, she was nice to look a good actress and she's pretty athletic as well being a former high school track runner.