Could the Q Continuum stop the implosion of the Universe?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JessDD, Apr 18, 2013.

1. JessDD

JessDD Lieutenant Red Shirt

Given the recent scientific discoveries, that the Universe is scheduled to come to an end at some point in the distant future...

Does the Q Continuum have the power to stop the implosion of the Universe?

Because theoretically, without the Universe, the Q Continuum doesn't exist.

So I'm going to say no.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

The Q continuum is not part of our universe.

Q power hasn't been shown to have any limits (except against other Q), so I don't see why they couldn't save our universe. I don't know if they WOULD though.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Q causally remarks that "changing the gravitational constant of the universe" is within his normal abilities, I'm inclined to say yes, he could.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ This. While I'm not an astrophysicist and I could be wildly oversimplifying the concept here, I understand the "big crunch" implosion to be the result of the internal force of the combined gravity of all matter within the universe overpowering the force of the initial blast of the big bang. Since it does appear to be a "simple" matter of gravity overtaking explosive force, then the Q could easily stop the implosion. However, as Third Nacelle said in the earlier post, it is not a foregone conclusion that they would be inclined to do so. They just might want to shift over into another, possibly newer, universe in greater need of custodianship/torment.

Then there is the other theory, growing in popularity among cosmologists called the "big freeze", where the universe will continue to expand, as it has expanded (via momentum from the big bang) beyond the threshold for internal gravity to pull it back. If this were to happen, time would eventually slow down, all the stars would burn out through a lack of general molecular excitation and the universe would become a truly cold and dead place. The Q would then almost have to increase the gravitational constant of the universe in order to preserve general molecular cohesion and allow new stars and new life to continue to be reborn. Again, if they cared to do so.

If they really wanted to save the universe, they would have to subtly adjust gravity over time to a point where the universe comes to rest at equilibrium, between explosive and gravitic forces, so that it maintains its size for eternity.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, provided they have time to prepare.

6. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guess that means Batman could pull it off too.

7. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since the Q can travel in time, then they may already be prepared.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They're probably just as non-linear as Bajor's wormhole aliens. Just not as annoyingly cryptic.

9. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

They exist outside of our space and time. That's what "continuum" means.

10. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    this strikes me as a "can God make a rock that's so heavy he can't lift it?" sort of question.

But since the continuum are supposed to exist in another dimension as well as not be bound by the laws of physics, I say "yes."

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think the more important question is "Will they care?" I think the Q Continuum exists on a much higher plane of existence that our Universe is akin to a gutter they occasionally pass by every once in a while. If the Universe ended, it wouldn't affect them, IMO.

If you subscribe to the multiverse theory, our Universe is just one of many.

12. Zungen

Zungen Ensign Newbie

The Q Continuum wouldn't need to stop it, billions of years from now humanity would have surpassed the Q Continuum by then, something the Q feared for a long time. So, it would be up to the humans with powers beyond the Q Continuum whether or not they should intervene.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Star Trek it's pretty much proven without doubt there are multiple universes so for them it's not a theory.

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Can they really travel in time? I know Q said he could do it and said things like "this isn't a trick, this is real" but it is possible that he simply lied and every so-called time travel Q did was nothing but an elaborate illusion, something like the Q version of the holodeck. What have we seen them do, they can teleport, travel through space, change the shapes of objects and beings etc., that's not that different from the things the federation can do just on a much larger scale and obviously much more advanced.

When Q talked about changing the gravitational constant of the universe that doesn't necessarily mean changing the constant in the entire universe just locally to move the moon. Changing the laws of physics locally is something the federation does every time they use warp drive, it doesn't affect everything everywhere, just the ship inside the warp field that can suddenly exceed the speed of light, something that isn't possible in our universe.

Have we ever seen Q do something that's not just something humans can do just on a larger scale and with less obvious technology? Picard did appear almost Q-like to the Mintakans, Ardra pulled it almost off in Devil's Due. For all we know the Q could just be a hundred years more advanced than the federation and the entire time the Q laughed their asses off that they managed to dupe the humans into thinking they're some super powerful god-like beings.