star trek into darkness action figures?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by sonak, Mar 23, 2013.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I've been looking and haven't seen any. As I understand it, the ones from the last movie didn't do so well. Are they not going to put out action figures for STID?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought I heard the whole line got cancelled.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Really? I was hoping for another model of the ship!

4. BillJ

The action figures. I have no idea about whether they're going to produce any ship toys though I know there will be a model of the Enterprise.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...B605F1B5209D8259A31C6858434D&selectedIndex=38

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

That company (Playmates) lost the license to make Trek toys awhile ago.

Hasbro (the company usually associated with Star Wars toys), got a complete license to make the full range of Trek toys from TOS to Star Trek XII, but there are no plans to make action figures right now.

6. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It sounds like Hasbro's KRE-O and Mattel's Hot Wheels spaceships are going to be it in terms of STID toy merchandising, which is okay by me, because I'm kinda moving on from toy collecting.

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose the only good thing we'll get out of no action figures is no one can reasonably complain about a 'no Carol Marcus in her undies figure.'

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Uh-oh... now you've done it.

10. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Or complain if they did make one.

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

"Carol Marcus in her undies" will be the "Slave Leia" of Trek fandom...should making Trek conventions more interesting.

12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    It'll just add more "Normal Flesh" tones to the sea of Orion Green ones.
    :eek:

There'll probably be a run on Blond Wigs though. :rofl:

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Shouldn't be to hard to kitbash a figure if they don't put out one: Just grab a Barbie, give her a trim and die her undies.

14. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

The lack of merchandise for STID is pretty wild.

Could it be some JJ secrecy thing and they're just waiting to unveil the figures after the movie comes out so they don't spoil anything?

15. BillJ

By that point no one will care.

The figures for Star Trek 2009 were a pretty dismal failure.

16. C.E. Evans

Generally, movie toys start hitting the shelves a month or two before the movie's release. Sales start dropping off afterward.

It's unlikely that there are any action figures being held in secret because of Abrams. Even if some spoilery toys were being kept under wraps, we would at least know if a toy company was actually making any months ago (Mattel has a ship from Star Trek XII in their Hot Wheels line that they're keeping a secret, but the fact that they're doing so was revealed some time ago).

17. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

But you'd kinda think if hasbro wasn't gonna put any new movie figures out then maybe Diamond Select would, but there's been no announcements of STID from them either.

18. BillJ

They didn't sell. I don't think Diamond Select is any more interested in losing money than Hasbro is. :techman:

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

If you recall, the same thing happened with ST II. The action figures for TMP failed to excite enough collectors in December 1979, and Marvel's tie-in comic was cancelled before the sequel film was released. We didn't see more ST action figures till ST III (and then only Kirk, Spock, Scott and Kruge w/pet), and we didn't get a comic adaptation for ST II until the IDW one - in 2009!

The upcoming Kre-O figures are the tie-in toy line for this film, and may well catch on. Many prime universe waves will follow.

20. C.E. Evans

Saw the Kre-O line for Star Trek XII today at my local Toys R Us. The deluxe Enterprise with Kirk, Spock, etc., was cute as hell but I couldn't bring myself to plop down sixty bucks for it (some stores may offer it for a few bucks cheaper though, but I'm still not buying it).
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6UCyLnGTZ...E-O+STAR+TREK+U.S.S.+ENTERPRISE+-+wKREONS.jpg

I probably would have gone for Kre-O mini fleet featuring smaller-scale versions of the Enterprise, the Kelvin, the "Jellyfish," and a Klingon warbird--those were six bucks each at that same TRU--but I think I'll hold out for the Hot Wheels ships instead.