Welcome new Voyager fans!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Caprica_Six, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Eydie Munroe

Eydie Munroe Lieutenant Red Shirt

I haven't read any of the post-series novels. Is it true that they killed Janeway off? :scream:

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

Not enough angry emoticons to follow that word.

3. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

How very true.

On another note, teacake, I think that your avatar is fantastic! :bolian:

4. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

I'd have to read her death first. I'm currently reading James Swallow's Synthesis, which is well put together.

But nothing quite matches David Mack's Destiny trilogy, which was above the usual pulp standard.

(And I say 'pulp' without criticism - what I've called 'delete fiction' elsewhere.)

But I liked Janeway as a character (and Mulgrew's performance, with some atrocious dialogue to deliver), so I'd happily try her in print.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Her demise is in "Before Dishonor", which is set shortly prior to Destiny (with "Greater Than the Sum" in between, tying up lose ends). Then "Full Circle" relaunches Voyager, in the post-Destiny Trek universe.

6. teacake

Thanks Violet Phoenix for your avatar compliment.

I'd list my favorite Treklit as:

Terok Nor trilogy, first one in particular by Swallow
    A Stitch in Time
    Mosaic
    Erika Hernandez's story in the Destiny trilogy. I was very meh on the TNG story lines but wow, very impressive to have a minor character written so well in Hernandez.

7. Eydie Munroe

I agree, Teacake. Where did you get that photo?

8. Eydie Munroe

Wow, the only title that's been listed here that I recognize is Mosaic. I HAVE been out of the loop for a long time. :borg: I tried reading the first book (I think it's Christie Golden) that came out after Voyager ended, but threw it down as soon as I got to the part where Naomi was asking about her "Uncle Neelix". Since she never called him that, I figured there was no point in going on reading something written by a person that missed something that basic. It's like having a non-Star Trek fan direct Nemesis. :klingon:

9. Lipton

Lipton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As far as I'm concerned, some of those Star Trek pocket novels are just glorified fan fiction. I've seen some stuff on the net that's more well written than certain books.

I reserve the right to ignore any ludicrous, senseless, or inaccurate work of fiction whether it be a book or a certain movie, and make it have no bearing on any fan fiction I write. I haven't yet written any for Voyager, but I eventually will.

BTW, I'm new here but I've been a fan of Voyager for years :)

10. teacake

Welcome Lipton! Don't worry the "ignoring books we don't like" contingent is pretty strong in these parts.

There are some excellent books in the last years though.

11. Lipton

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, some of the books are good, which is a very good thing. I'm just wondering how some of the really stupid ones ever got published.

12. teacake

I remember one in the "A Time to" series was like some rough first draft punched out as an outline. There's no way it would have been published outside of Trekdom.

13. Eydie Munroe

Hah! I am so on the same page as you. I've pretty much denied how Voyager ended since about three seconds after I watched it. :scream: And there's definitely better stuff online than got published.

Welcome, by the way. :)

Eydie

14. Lipton

teacake: I never heard of that series. Hmmm... sounds like something to avoid, or were the other books in that series good?

Eydie: Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I think Voyager should have at least gotten home at the beginning of second part of Endgame and had most of the episode to actually show what happened with the characters. You never even got to see Voyager dock!

And Christie Golden's book... just didn't have the characters act true to themselves. The story didn't work that well either, I thought it was poorly paced.

15. teacake

Some of the books in the series were excellent Lipton. The book by KRAD for instance. I read them all in order because Treklit forum (don't go in there, it is dangerous) told me to but it really wasn't necessary. After that I started only reading books by authors I liked. I had to abandon that eventually as all of Treklit morphed into one huge blob with every series in every book.

16. Violet.Phoenix

Which book by KRAD?

I agree with you about Treklit morphing into a sort of blob, everything is interconnected by these huge story arcs now and it's so hard to keep track of them all (I haven't even delved into the Typhon Pact yet...). It's kind of nice that Voyager has its own storyline now that's mostly separate from the rest of the novels, like Titan was for a while.

I wish that the novels now weren't so focused on conflicts. It feels like we went from the Dominion War to the Borg Invasion to the conflict with the Typhon Pact. Whatever happened to good old exploring (thank goodness for Voyager and Titan in this case).

17. teacake

I think it was Articles of the Federation. I've liked most KRAD books though James Swallow's Day of the Vipers, first book in the Terok Nor trilogy was the best Treklit I've read.

The morphing into a blob element is bad if you have series or characters you really aren't interested in. I ended up skim reading a lot of Destiny because of this. And yes they have now killed billions of people in the latest mega-war. I so much prefer the smaller stories, the political stories, the stories of the background of one character. Why does the frakking universe always have to be in peril?

My Treklit reading took a major punch in the gut after I read a Babylon 5 trilogy which was just about the best thing I've ever read. Ever. And it made most of Treklit look very dull and choppy and made me sad that some of the stuff published is such crap.

18. Violet.Phoenix

I have that book sitting on my shelf to read. My favourite KRAD book has to be Q&A; I loved that book. Two of my favourites that I always go back to are TNG #41 The Soldiers of Fear by Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Resistance by J.M. Dillard, both are thrilling books.

But I absolutely love the VOY novels Mosaic and Full Circle, without doubt.

The universe always seems to be in frakking peril nowadays. I don't mind the occasional conflict (because there has to be some here and there, something that I have trouble accepting being the mild pacifist that I am) but having war after war is ridiculous.

I LOVE B5, such a great series. I really ought to check out the books.

Some of the Treklit books have left me rather disappointed (like a certain TNG book that I'm sure others have a particular disdain for; I seriously cannot believe that they allowed that to be published).

19. teacake

The Bab5 books are hard to find as some are out of print. I think I paid 30 dollars for one of the paperbacks. The trilogy I loved so much was the Techno-Mage trilogy. I also read the Psi-Corp trilogy which while written a bit more minimalist was fantastic. Shows you several generations of Psi-Corp, the origins and Bester's life story. Both of these trilogies blow Treklit out of the water IMHO.

I still have the Centauri trilogy to read, I'm getting to it, I'm working my way up to picking up Peter David again.

20. Violet.Phoenix

It's unfortunate that so many of these books are harder to find now (even ones from only 4 or 5 years ago are hard to find!). I've been trying to find a few of the Voyager ones for years.

I love the Psi Corps, and Bester was a fantastic character.

I really liked Peter David's early works, like Imzadi and Q-in-Law, but Before Dishonor ruined his image a bit for me. Although he can write Q extremely well, I will say that.