Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I have never seen the show, but I have a friend who doesn't own a TV, doesn't own a single DVD, watches very few TV show of the internet and even he said (a few years ago) that he wanted the Farscape DVDs. That says a lot for it.

2. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Trent,

Looking back, I'd say they were flailing about in the first season, trying to figure out what they had. They(the series overseers) knew they had something unique but it took a little time to figure it out. It was almost like they went. "Holy shit, we have pure magic here! But what spells should we cast?" They eventually decided on a nice, quiet, subtle FIREBALL spell. It gets really good, and it has a flavor like nothing else ever shown on TV. IMO, after Trek, of course, it's as complicated and fun as B5 and far less like a made-for-tv show than a transliteration of scifi lit to the small screen. You know how fans say, "Geez, if they'd just let a trufan make a series it would kick ass!" ? Well, that's Farscape.

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed Farscape from the get-go and consider the first season a quirky blast - though, of course, it has some misfires and is particularly quite uneven in the first half. And somehow pre-Gigi Edgley Farscape... well it just needs more Gigi Edgley, is what I'm saying. It's a damn great season though, IMHO, and the season ending arc is a kicker.

I recently rewatched this series and god I still love it so very much. It inspired me to go trek off and watch series I'd dropped and/or ignored like Firefly or the new Battlestar Galactica, but I'd still rather rewatch this then them, even over starting a new show - not because I'm fanboyishly insisting this is the better show, but it's just a show which in its screwing around and/or rigorous adherence to various space opera tropes is something I dearly love.

Okay, fine. It is the best space opera show this decade so nyaaaah! Unless one of the Stargates was better, but I never followed those outside of the off SG-1 episode (which was pretty okay as I recall).

Trent's comment about Lexx is interesting, also, as my first impression of Lexx is a cut-rate woefully inept take on Farscape (I'm aware it came first).

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Season One isn't that special until the final ?five? episodes. Season Two is even better. Season Three is even better than that!

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It depends where you buy the set. Best Buy is including the miniseries as an exclusive. As far as I know, everywhere else is not. I already have the Peacekeeper Wars, so I'm getting mine from Amazon.

That, and it'll save me $50.

6. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

In all honesty who cares if the mini is not included in the set it's amazing they are releasing this show again at all let alone at any affordable price points compared to the absurd ADV releases.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, people who don't already own the mini might care, as this will tell them whether or not they need to buy it separately. :p

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't suppose it would be realistic to hope for a Blu-Ray release? (Wasn't this show shot on film?)

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think they changed the way it was filmed for the 4th season. At least it looks like they did.

I would LOVE a Blu-Ray release for this show. Hell, I would buy a fucking 100-inch TV if that happened! :lol:

10. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Surely you mean a frelling...oh, never mind. :p

11. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chiming in here to say Farscape does indeed get better. Strangely, I loved the show from the get-go, but I do agree it gets much better after "A Bug's Life."

12. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll just say that I remember that I liked one of the early episodes of Farscape greatly. I think it was the one where they land on an alien planet and make "contact" with an alien who is a Jodie-Foster-in-Contact kinda character. I remember liking that ep quite a bit.

I would stick with it too. The payoff from continuing it is some very memorable episodes. And I prefer Farscape's drama to its mad humor. Season 3 was very good. And so was the ending of season 4 (imo).

13. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I'm more or less addressing those who complain and want to practically boycott the release based on the fact that Peacekeeper Wars is not included.

14. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Pre-ordered. Very exited about it.

I tried renting it off Netflix but the discs containing episodes 7-8 were continually unavailable. So I've only seen the first 6 episode. I liked those a lot though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  15. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

It'll be interesting to see if this set shows up here and, if so, what sort of horrendous price tag will be attached. I'd consider importing it anyway; the R4 sets were crap and several of my disks don't play any more, plus it's Farscape, so it'd be worth it to me. :bolian:

I'm another who'd say the show skews sharply upward in quality from "A Bug's Life" on, although I found the quality pretty high before that anyway. It's one of the few shows I've seen where the actors "owned" their characters from the start and while some of the early eps are a bit iffy in some ways, they set up the characters for all the extraordinary things that happen later in the series. Perhaps more than most other shows Farscape isn't for everyone; if you're not hooked after the last few eps of season one, you probably never will be. To each their own. :bolian:

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might buy this.I saw this on Amazon Canada for $134 something so I will pick it up. That's a lot better than the almost two hundred something the originals. I like the box art, simple but elegant.

17. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm living in Europe, so I never ordered anything at Amazon.com, but the price is really, really good and the exchange rate is good, too ( I hope), so I might order it. If anyone here gets the DVDS could he/she please post if the mini-series is included?

18. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

19. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From the minimal shopping around I've done, I've seen the series box set on Deep Discount DVD for $93 and the miniseries for $10 on Amazon. If the price is similar during the November sale, you could get the whole series for around $80. That's not too shabby.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

I was never *hooked*, although there were a few eps I thought were hilarious, such as this one where D'Argo and an alien pilot head into some kind of debris field where they find an old ship that D'Argo had always wanted to serve on. Long story short...
    the alien, who had appeared to be your standard badass warrior type, is actually the female of their species and starts hitting on D'Argo. :guffaw: