When did the perception of Insurrection change?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Lance, Jul 31, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

If we're talking a medical cure that could save billions of lives, as we are in this movie: yeppers I'd be cool with it. I'd go voluntarily.

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Why didn't the Federation open diplomatic channels with the Bak'u? The Bak'u didn't seem like they would willingly hog the metaphasic radiation. Besides it's an entire planet. Why couldn't the Federation or Son'a just colonize a continent on the opposite side of the planet? It's not like the 600 people in the Bak'u village needed that much room.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Nope. Only as a publicity still:

[​IMG]
    Quark on the Ba'ku planet by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

DVD bonus scenes.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

People are missing the point. The ONLY reason for the forced relocation was that the Sona were greedy and selfish. They didn't want to set up a colony and they wanted the youth effects NOW. And they were ready to harm and kill the inhabitants for it.

The end of the film never suggests that the metaphasic radiation is not used by the Federation. The end of the film only shows that the Baku stay and the Sona return home (which emphasizes the idea that the relocation was absolutely unneccessarrrry to begin with).

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly. Vengeance for the Ba'ku expelling the Son'a in the first place.

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Not quite...Dougherty indicates that in the Son'as' current state simply settling on the planet won't heal them...essentially they need a concentrated burst.

Not excusing some of their actions, just saying that the idea that they can simply settle on the planet and everything will be fine is contradicted earlier in the film.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

If only they had a way to get towards the radiation concentrated in the rings, like so sort of starship or something.

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that's not what was needed, though I suppose the dialog is unclear enough that that's a possible interpretation...

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They could have apologized and returned to the planet 100 or 50 years before the film. They could have also accepted the fact that they simply grow old and die, like any other living being in the universe. They didn't. Instead they chose to take it by force.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Which makes the S'ona needing the Federation all the more head scratching: they got ships, they trade with species, the work for the Dominion, why can't they do this thing on their own? They developed the tech, appear to have built it. What's the Federation hanging around for? Diplomacy? The planet is on the ass-end of no where in a area of space that's hard to get to, the Federation apparently didn't know of the Baku and their magic radiation. The S'ona could have done what they wanted or needed and been go before the Federation knew what happened.

For that matter, why even bother moving the Baku, just hoover up the damn rings and give 'em the bird as you warp off.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Apologize for what exactly? Apologize for wanting to be explorers? Apologize for not wanting to live like Luddites?

12. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Hartzilla2007

I was going by how they originally had Ru'afo die which was getting blown into space falling through the rings and de-aging. That kind of implyed that the Son'a didn't need some grandiose scheme to solve their old age issue seeing as just flying a ship in their would do it, plus they become effectively immortal again without having to either share with or screw over a major quadrant power becuase they don't have to say crap to anyone.

Probably the whole trying to take over their village thing.

14. BillJ

How else were they suppose to effect change? It sounds like they were essentially prisoners to that way of life.

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Insurrection is my favorite TNG movie. While FC is also very good Insurrection has a story I found more interresting. I was never a real big fan of the Borg.

I wasn't on the internet back in 99...it was still young, so I didn't know I wasn't supposed to like it!

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From what I remember, they need whatever the end result of collecting the radiation would be to stay alive and be healed.

That's the biggest plot hole in the whole damn movie. How the hell did the Luddite Baku kick the Son'a off the planet in the first place? And why didn't the Son'a just move to another continent and build their own technologically advanced society to spite the Luddites? Hell, if the Son'a were competent, there wouldn't even be a movie.

The film is really confusing on that point. It seems like the Son'a don't want to kill the Baku, but Ru'afo is totally willing to do it and most of his crew don't seem to give a fuck, so that whole part only works if the Federation is involved.

17. Hartzilla2007

Considering they left to start their own interstellar empire, they were too much like prisoners now were they.

18. BillJ

Ru'afo says they were exiled in the movie.

Exiled: expulsion from one's native land by authoritative decree.

They wouldn't have died slowly if they had simply been forced from the village. So the Ba'ku had to have the ability to force them from the planet and possibly the Briar Patch.

The movie was just very poor, in my opinion. It doesn't stand up under any type of scrutiny.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Well to be fair a fair few movies don't stand up to scrutiny to varying degrees. But INS can barely sit up to scrutiny never mind stand up.

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Those ungrateful bastards. Unwilling to give up the life of a warp civilization cause their parents decided to become space hippies.

:lol: