Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...sigh... Sometimes I forget your unrelenting penchant for exactitude.

In any event, he was also in The Expendables 2, in a significant but relatively minor role that was originally intended for first film but was cut.

Okay, so yeah, 28 when he entered the Academy, then. I knew I remembered that age for a reason.

I suppose it could be a simple enough retcon to make the character in Sarek one of Peter's brothers instead, but I think that would rob the story of some of its punch, at least.

2. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Does anyone else like the idea of Daniel Craig as a young Robert April?

3. TJ Sinclair

Uhm, not me.Seems utterly antithetical to the character, actually.

Unless nu-Trek April turns out to be radically different than previous interpretations of the character.

4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

You mean, as in evily roaming around pre-warp civilisations? :rommie:

5. TJ Sinclair

I was thinking "a badass John Gill," myself. ;)

6. WarsTrek1993

While I'm reading Section 31: Abyss for the first time, I can't stop picturing William Fichtner as Dr. Ethan Locken, with Cillian Murphy as an alternative.

7. Lee Son of Pete

Lee Son of Pete Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I know this wont mean much to any of you, but there's a bloke drinks in the Unicorn in Eccles that would make a fantastic Elias Vaughan.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about Tamara Tunie? (medical examiner Melinda Warner from L&O:SVU)

9. WarsTrek1993

Deep Space Nine: Delias Unchained.

"The D is silent!" *Shoots a guy with a phaser*

10. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've only recently got into reading the post-nemesis trek lit, after re-reading New Frontier at the start of the year. Trying to read them in order - halfway through A Singular Destiny at the moment, so I haven't met all of the characters mentioned in this thread...

There are a few mental images i've had reading the books that I've not seen mentioned, so here they are...

Mackenzie Calhoun - I had been picturing Joe Flannigan, like many others, but the voice was never right. On re-read, I've started picturing him as Gabriel Macht.

Soleta - Illustrations vary, but the one that always stuck in my head was the cover of the Quiet Place. I was recently struck by the similarity between that image and Hayley Atwell. Now I picture Soleta as her.

Si Cwan - I could never get a proper image of Cwan, until I saw the original "cast" image (from the covers of books 5 & 6) again - and now I'm seeing him as Titus Welliver. I can't be the only one who thinks there's a resemblance there, right?

Gleau - not seen him mentioned anywhere. I visualized him as Craig Parker.

Nan Bacco - probably because I read Articles of the Federation directly after watching some Borgen, I initially visualized her as Sidse Babett Knudsen. After a while I started seeing her as Cherry Jones. Now I kinda switch between the two.

Christine Vale - I started out picturing her as Katee Sackhoff, but ever since watching In To Darkness, I've been picturing her as Alice Eve.

T'Ryssa Chen - The first image that came to mind when i read about the character was Lian T'Su from The Arsenal Of Freedom (Julia Nickson). And the image kinda stuck.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I recently finished a re-read of Vanguard, and I came up with some new casting ideas for some of the characters I didn't previously have a model for. They include:

Bridy Mac: Katie McGrath (Merlin's Morganna)
    Neera: Kelly Hu
    Isaiah Farber: David Harewood
    Mahmud al-Khaled: Oded Fehr
    Ambassador Lugok: Ed Asner (at least the voice)
    Ambassador D'Tran: Donald Sutherland (don't ask me why, it just randomly came out that way in my mind)

For Haniff Jackson, I originally went with Chi McBride, but I eventually realized that the character being described was younger and more physically fit, so I couldn't think of a good replacement.

For Jon Cooper, for lack of a better idea I ended up imagining him as Peter Lupus circa Mission: Impossible.

And this time around I went with the suggestion made earlier in this thread of Amy Acker as T'Prynn, because I'm more familiar with and fond of her than I am of Bridget Moynihan, and I felt it worked pretty well.

I also tried imagining Alice Eve as the young Carol Marcus, since that was easier for me to visualize than a young Bibi Besch. But I don't know what Eve would sound like with an American accent, so it was harder to imagine her performance than her appearance.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not Peter Lupus circa Police Squad!? :D

13. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haniff Jackson surely;)(pedantry)
    I had kinda visualised Damon Wayans(?)as Jackson(not Wilson):lol:

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Fixed. I don't know where I got "Wilson" from.

Oh, I forgot one of my casting ideas: Sinbad's Estella Daniels as Akeylah Karumé.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  15. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like this bit of casting. Like you, Moynihan never really fit in my imagination as T'Prynn. I still have a book and a half to go in my Vanguard reading; I think I'll plug Miss Acker in there and see how she works out. "Tonight, the role of T'Prynn will be played by..."

And since I'm already in this thread, I may as well put forth some of my own inner casting.

Mackenzie Calhoun: David Duchovny
    Shar: Tyler Posey
    Prynn: Keiko Agena

I've been reading New Frontier since the beginning and the former Fox Mulder has always been my go-to portrayer of Calhoun, though I can definitely see why a lot of posters seem to opt for Flannigan.

My reading of the DS9 relaunch started only last month so I certainly would have gone for another actor had I read these novels when they originally came out, but since I only began recently, I cast a "current" actor. On Teen Wolf, Mr. Posey has demonstrated a calm reserve for most situations and bursts of sudden action when called for, much like Shar in the stories that I've read so far.

Prynn's dual attitude (one for Vaughn, another for the rest of the crew) reminds me of Lane Kim from Gilmore Girls and her own dual attitudes with friends and then her mother...so I picture Agena.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Posey as Shar. I usually go with Vincent Kartheiser from Mad Men, and Angel, but I think I actually might like Posey better.

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eve plays an American in the film She's Out of My League, so you can get a sense of her American accent in that one if you're interested.

18. CaffeineAddict

I'd happily see her cast in anything. Great actress.

19. CaffeineAddict

Just been reading Plagues of Night & Raise the Dawn - I'm finding it difficult to picture Prynn Tenmei - So far as I recall, she's not actually described anywhere in it. I haven't read the earlier DS9 books yet, so I don't know if she's described there. Any help?

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's a young woman of European and Asian descent. I tend to picture Grace Park in the role.