Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheBrew, Jan 22, 2010.

1. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Alot of this started when the Xbox 360 created micro-transactions. Many of us on this very site stated that it would become a problem in the future. Turns out we were right ;)

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except for the Alternate Appearance Pack, they've been good about selling you exactly enough; I see a 560 point option, which is just enough for Kasumi...

3. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't remember seeing that on the release day for the DLC. I didn't spend much time looking though.

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it has to do with the fact that there's a lot more competition for gamer's attention these days, so developers have to come up with more stuff to keep gamers interested in whatever game they've developed. Big expansions take time and money to create, so smaller DLC is a way to keep players from ditching the game while the expansion is developed, as well as funding the creation of said expansion.

As for Valve, they've got Steam raking in the dough, so giving away DLC for free isn't as much of an issue for them as it would be to Bioware.

5. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's because every time the release a patch, they sell a crap load of copies of the game. No other developer has that venue to sell games directly to their customers and on the console side, a lot of people just ditch their copies of their games after they finish playing it.

6. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Thread bump. ;)

Just finished ME2 about half an hour ago. Amazing game, though I did find it a bit short in terms of side-missions. I didn't visit every planet though, so maybe I missed a few things.

Started with an import from ME1 with a paragon infiltrator Shepard that let the council die. :lol: Wasn't intending to import that one, but I couldn't tell the difference between the files at the start. Followed pretty much the same track in this game, maxing out on paragon with some renegade leanings (notably, I left the base intact for Cerberus).

However... Garrus died in the mission. :( He was the only one that bit the bullet (or rocket as it appeared to be). I sent him through the ventilation shaft. My whole team was loyal, but he's the one that ended up dying.

All in all, very good game. :techman:

[edit]
    Oh yeah, I've gotta say that Mordin Solus is my favourite character in that one. Very short. And to the point. :lol: And I loved the Gilbert and Sullivan routine he did once. :lol:

7. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, he's not really good with the vents. :lol:

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you really, really should have sent Tali or Legion on that one. :lol:

9. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Actually, I felt the general Collector foot soldiers looked a lot like the Chigs from Space: Above and Beyond.

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I first saw them in Bioware's "Enemies of ME2" video, my first thought was "CHIGS!" I still call them that because it's so much cooler than "Collectors."

12. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd laugh, but the first time I did it, I sent Thane to do that job.

Oh well. He was dying anyway.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Loyalty means absolutely nothing if you pick the wrong person for a job, they're just dead.

14. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Well, I naturally assumed that he could handle a simple task like opening a door. :p Besides, didn't he have some tech ability? Maybe not enough I guess.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If you listen to the dialogue when you assign teams it has clues as to who to pick. With that one I think Miranda says something to the effect that Jacob (who volunteered) wouldn't be able to open it quick enough and that it needed a tech.

Just like when you needed a biotic to get through the swarm it's implied that while any biotic could do it in theory, a strong one (Jack or Samara) would be best.

16. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought about that afterwards. And I did pick Jack for the biotic part, so that was good on my part. :p

17. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

I sent Thane on that mission my 1st run-through as well.

I figured that since he was so good at navigating duct works on his recruitment mission (where he dropped down and annihilated all the baddies) he world be good for a similar task on the final mission.

18. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I noticed this and thought there really were a lot of ties to B5. I saw somewhere (official website I think) a list of sci-fi elements that ME drew reference from (including Star Trek II: TWOK and Star Wars) but no B5!

The Collectors look like Shadows
    Ancient enemies that periodically return to wipe out the galaxy
    The hero returns from the dead (I was convinced that Shepard would be given a death sentence due to the regeneration technology only holding out so long)
    The Spectres are practically the Rangers
    A central spacestation for all alien races to gather together on
    The Asari = the Minbari
    The Turians = the Narn
    A character named Mordin (ok, this might be stretching it)
    Evil opportunistic Earth corporations
    All the themes about alien species building communities together vs a strong independent Earth
    etc.

19. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why on earth did you do that? :p They make it pretty abundently clear that you're supposed to send a tech expert.

Man, was that suicide mission awesome (and intense) though.

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

How so? :confused:

Those are both a real stretch

Well, technically, B5's character is Morden

B5 hardly invented that one. That's a standard plot line.