The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. MilitaryCoo

MilitaryCoo Captain Captain

We noticed them.

I didn't find out until afterwards that it was apparently a big thing, but they irritated the hell out of me. Every external shot does not need a lens flare.

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

First time I can only recall noticing one, which I assumed was there to cover up some mistake or something. The second time, when I was looking out for them, I spotted a lot, but since they were present in the CG as well as the live action I just assumed they were meant to be there because of how brightly lit everything was, and thought no more of it.

3. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I liked the lens flares. They were exciting!

4. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I was exactly the same. I never even noticed much lens flair until there were so many complaints about it :wtf:

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

His wife is dead. Who knows how different this universe is compared to his own.

Who says it's a blender? How many water processing facilities have you built? As for the pipes, who says it's glass?

Lens flares didn't bother me one bit.

J.

6. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Maybe they were there for a purpose. "Hmmm what just happened there, was that a plot hole or... OOOO! SHINY!"

:guffaw:

7. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't notice them in the movie. but I did see them in the trailers. I expect they'll be pretty noticeable in the DVD. not too happy about that.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Don't agree with the rest of your assessment, but fewer lens flares would be in order, I'd say.

Staying away from the puns now.

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Get a bigger telly, and the blu ray and maybe you won't notice it, just like in the cinema. :p

10. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kept seeing this complaint before I saw the movie, and I didn't notice it at all. Is there a difference depending on the projection system each theater uses? Looked great where I was at.

11. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here.

12. adamisme

adamisme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

as a BIG Trek fan who had become jaded with Enterprise and Nemesis, i'm not sure how I felt about a reboot of Star Trek, but when I saw the 1st proper trailer I was delighted with the trailer it actually got me excited for the film. Then I saw the film itself and I wasn't disappointed, I thought it was the best Trek Film i'd seen since First Contact, had action,adventure,conflict,humour, everything needed for a Star Trek Film. Not sure how it will affect the future of the old series, but then it could be that despite this hiccup in the timeline, the original series now happens with slight differences such as it would be Vulcan 2.0 that they go to, to restore Spock after he dies etc

13. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Okay, late to the game and I'll be here until Christmas trying to read all 72 pages of this thread, and then I've got the rest of the forum to catch up on (so apologies if I'm repeating anyone)!

Loved it!

I thought Karl Urban was absolutely stunning as McCoy - his opening scene talking to the security woman in the shuttle is my favourite of the movie.

I loved the Kelvin beginning, (although I thought having Jimmy born at that point was a smidge over the top, but I get why they did it!). I love the ship too - I really like how it looks big and cavernous - I mean these starships are meant to be enormous, but I've never seen such a sense of size before.

I loved Uhura - this is the Uhura that I bet Nichelle Nichols wish she could have played - actually using her xeno-linguistics skills. I wonder if she's seen the movie?

And I actually like the whole time-travel aspect, especially the fact that they don't fix it afterwards. The main problem with most time-travel stories for me is that they tend to be able to get the time-line just right afterwards. This is a new time-line and by no stretch of the imagination could it be considered the better one (Jim lost his dad, Spock lost his mum and Vulcan's destroyed, and a fair whack of Starfleet's been destroyed too) - but it's what we have because that's what happens with time-travel, everything changes.

14. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, nothing wrong with liking what you like. Conversely, all the love for the film doesn't influence my conviction that it just doesn't measure up. As As I've been saying all along, it's an interesting case study in the different kinds of expectations people bring to Trek (as a whole).

I naturally assume that people will like like it for the same reasons I do, and see in it the same things that I value, but that's evidently not the case. There's a part of me that really doesn't want Trek to have a "mass audience," if achieving one means giving up so much of what made it special.

As I've said, the movie wasn't completely without redeeming qualities. My favorite character was probably Christopher Pike, who really captured the gravitas of a Starfleet officer. My favorite sequence, the one that best captured that "Trek feeling," was the opening sequence with the Kelvin. ...Sadly, though, both of those things were tangential to the movie as a whole.

You're both right that insults are unnecessary. Personally, I've tried hard to avoid that. The discussion is about the movie and its merits (or lack thereof), not the people posting. But while there's a certain amount of snark, of course, honestly I really haven't seen much of people being "militant" or "insulting," at least not enough to derail the discussion. (And what there is of it, is found on both sides of the debate... so it's not a reason to dismiss either POV.)

Did this movie have scientific consultants?

Indeed. And what's worse is, a lot of the problems can simply be chalked up to lazy writing. It would have been no great task to come up with a threat to Romulus that didn't violate all the known laws of physics. It would have been easy enough to explain away Vulcan's and/or Earth's paucity of defenses. It would have been entirely possible to devise a more plausible way for Old!Spock to witness his planet's demise and subsequently meet Kirk. And so on. Certainly, given that years of story time can pass before the next film, it wasn't necessary for everyone to be InstaPromoted to their familiar positions at story's end; simply meeting one another would have been enough. In lots of ways, this could have been a better story.

The writers simply didn't bother to exercise enough thought or creativity to anticipate and avoid the obvious audience questions. (I remember Orci once promised that the movie would "explain" why Starfleet construction and recruiting was going on in Iowa; that certainly didn't happen.)

Fascinating point! I wouldn't bet on it being explored at all, however.

Interesting way of framing the threshold. :lol: (I haven't seen Crystal Skull come up before this; most of the comparisons have been to the Star Wars films. But the Lucas sensibility is there in both comparisons, and indeed it doesn't reflect favorably on this movie!...)

You know, I have to agree with you about this. I didn't care for the battle-on-the-platform thing as a whole—ragingly implausible—but this particular bit really did encapsulate a lot about Kirk. In a way it reminded me of the opening sequence of the Reeves-Stevenses' book Prime Directive, which also involves Kirk taking an insane risk to save someone's life.

The thing is, while there are aspects of Kirk (like this) that are simply intrinsic, deep in his bones, there's also a lot about the original Kirk that is the product of the experiences we know he's had over the years. This Kirk simply can't and won't be that same person. And if the writers try to force him into that mold, or conversely just reduce him to the basic common traits, all that'll be left of the character is an unconvincing cipher, a generic hero.

15. Robert_T_April

Robert_T_April Captain Captain

The fact that all of future Spock's memories were still intact says that the original timeline did happen. If those events didn't happen, the older Spock may not have existed, or may not have had any recollection of the timeline we all know happened...

It's confusing, but interesting nonetheless.

16. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Vulcan was clueless. They thought it was only natural phenomena. Earth didn't have defenses because Nero had the defense net codes after torturing Pike and they had already sent their ships to be destroyed earlier. Those points were mentioned in the movie. If you didn't like that story, that's up to you, but saying it was "lazy writing" is an odd argument because these points were actually explained.

17. Robert_T_April

Robert_T_April Captain Captain

It's also interesting to note that in this new timeline Christopher Pike ends up in a wheelchair. Not in the vegetative state as in the original timeline BUT, in a wheelchair...

At first I was a tad upset about how the timeline was changed, but the more I think about it, I think it was brilliant. Anything is possible now!

Looking forward to the future..

18. Stompy

Stompy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: ST11

I really liked the tribbles on Delta Vega

[​IMG]

and Chris Doohan working with Simon Pegg

[​IMG]

and StarTrek New Voyages Capt Kirk on the bridge too

[​IMG]

19. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

So Vulcan just did not notice the big ass Romulan ship in orbit with a big ass planetary drill connected to the planet? How is this not lazy writing?

20. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Damn. I'm going to have to watch for these next time because I don't remember seeing one.