TOS Big 12 (or 18)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[LEFT]I remember first watching Star Trek as a wee lad, probably during the very late 60s when it was first repeated. I overcame my intense case of first episode heebie-jeebies where I ran screaming when the lady that looked like my nice auntie suddenly changed into a frightening salt monster and made the nice captain scream :)[/LEFT]

I then began a decades-long ‘’love affair’’ with Star Trek filled with mugatos and little horned purse dogs and copper-coloured dwarves. Like many of my other favorite television shows, it stimulated my imagination and almost every episode served up a heapin’ plateful of things to like.

As the decades wore on and reruns begat more reruns, I could have Star Trek playing in the background while involved with other things but a few episodes always seemed to demand I stop what I was doing and offer them my full attention: ‘’DOOMSDAY MACHINE’’, ‘’THE THOLIAN WEB’’, ‘’THE OMEGA GLORY’’, ‘’THE ULTIMATE COMPUTER’’...

What each had in common was MORE Constitution Class ships than the ‘’usual’’ ol’ Enterprise as part of the story. Perhaps it was the rarity back then or the wicked glee I’d savour as the writers indulged in wanton destruction they could not get away with on the crew of the 1701. I never could seem to get enough.

In the 80s I got the post-Wrath of Khan bug and bought a bunch of ST books that sometimes gave you a guest-appearance by some other starship captain and crew. But a book just wasn’t the same as watching it move...

Almost 50 years later, here we are with a plethora of Star Trek web-series that are finally starting to scratch the itch that’s been driving me crazy for decades. A good number of Constitution-class ships with captains of their own, most if not all in adventures set during what would have been STAR TREK’s fourth season. For the shameless completist part of me, there are even brief cameos and guest-appearances as there were on TOS.

So what’s the point of this thread, you ask? Well, we’ve had discussions about fan film writing and character creating, and I’d like to make a little contribution that could be of use (maybe) to current creators or perhaps those forthcoming who might want to start their own future ST series either set upon the Enterprise or its sister ships. Already while gathering some info and photos together some interesting trends came to light.

Be aware I’m not trying to reconcile every non-canon trivia bit, mostly assemble some data from TOS and the many recent web-series, plus a pinch and a dash from SOME of the novels when convenient. Time period mostly from the Christopher Pike era until ST: TMP.

All comments and help are welcome...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Bold OFF man...hard to look at.

3. Bixby

USS ENTERPRISE (NCC-1701)

CAPTAIN Christopher Richard PIKE
    (Assigned 2251 to 2264)

CAPTAIN James Tiberius KIRK
    (Assigned 2265 to 2270)

Succeeding Christopher Pike as Captain of the Enterprise, James Tiberius Kirk assumed command in 2265 and went on to complete an event-filled 5-year mission.

Kirk during 2265 to 2270 is gregarious, charismatic, cocky, good-natured and charming, but also decisive, heroic, disciplined, passionate and self-confident. A cunning intellectual with a passionate thirst for knowledge. He despises injustice and tyranny, a true idealist who is willing to die for his beliefs.

He is a wounded man, romantically speaking, and hides this hurt in casual flirtation. His personal code of ethics forbids he get involved in any way with the crewwomen under his watch, he seeks out consensual relations with intelligent females he can consider his equals.

As a starship captain, he is intensely loyal to his officers and crewmates, who in turn reward him with a fierce loyalty. He respects the chain of command and follows orders but a strong maverick tendency coupled with a powerful sense of right and wrong may compel him to favour a higher moral code over rigid military protocol.

He displays unorthodox problem solving and almost reckless risk-taking. A bold explorer and exceptional tactician, Kirk never hesitates and can be ruthless during battle, either with the power of his starship, hand-to-hand combat or psychological warfare with his expert use of intellectual paradoxes, jealousy or even weaponized sex.

Currently the starship Enterprise and Captain KIRK are featured in two distinct web-series occurring during STAR TREK’s never broadcast ‘’fourth season’’.

NEXT UP: Starship EXETER and John Quincy GARROVICK,,,

4. Bixby

Sorry Maurice...was still in the midst of fine-tuning...wanted to add photos I'd cropped down to better size until I found out I couldn't just paste them in...will try something...

5. Maurice

Upload your photos to a photo sharing site like Photobucket or Flickr or whatnot and use the link to them to make them appear.

6. Bixby

!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  7. Maurice

8. Bixby

USS ENTERPRISE (NCC-1701)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CAPTAIN Christopher Richard PIKE
    (Assigned 2251 to 2264)
    [LEFT][​IMG][​IMG][/LEFT]
    CAPTAIN James Tiberius KIRK
    (Assigned 2265 to 2270)

9. Bixby

USS EXETER (NCC-1672) (NCC-1706)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CAPTAIN Ronald TRACEY

Assigned 2265 to 2268
    (Relieved stardate ? -2267 )

[​IMG]
    CAPTAIN John Quincy GARROVICK
    (Assigned 2268- )

[LEFT]Replacing the dishonorably discharged Ronald Tracey as Captain of the Exeter, John Quincy Garrovick assumed command in 2268. His fate beyond that year is so far unrevealed. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Garrovick is intelligent, intense, quick-witted but also somewhat short-fused, dour and uptight, with a streak of misoginism. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]His general grim outlook resulted from personal trauma and untreated abandonment issues. He was marooned as a young cadet for two years on a harsh, isolated planet, losing his girlfriend as a result. During the same incident a close relative died tragically (former USS Farragut captain A. Steven GARROVICK). [/LEFT]

[LEFT]As a starship captain, he is dedicated to the service and a creative problem-solver. He runs an efficient ship but maintains conflicted relations with authority and his own executive officer. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Currently the starship Exeter and Captain GARROVICK are featured in a web-series occurring during STAR TREK’s never broadcast ‘’fourth season’’. Garrovick is played by Jimm JOHNSON/James CULHANE.

Next up: Starship DEFIANT and Thomas BLAIR[/LEFT]

10. Bixby

USS DEFIANT (NCC-1764)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Information classified

Capt. SERLING
    (assigned 2260 to 2265)

[​IMG]
    Capt. Thomas BLAIR
    (Deceased stardate 5693.2 - 2268)

Information classified

[LEFT]

Next up: Starship LEXINGTON and Robert WESLEY[/LEFT]

[LEFT](thanks to MEMORY BETA for various info)[/LEFT]

11. Maurice

I'm still not clear on what the purpose of this thread is. Can you elaborate?

12. Bixby

I admit this is my fannish, obsessive-compulsive moment. but I also think it can be of some use as an information source to all the FF productions, which are increasing in size yearly.

As far as i can see, most of the existing series have staked out their own corner of the universe, their own ship and sometimes they have stories with a sister ship in a side role, and ''pseudo-canonize'' its captain (for instance, yourself and the Exeter crew with the USS Kongo and Captain Kosnett).

No one has contradicted each other yet, but with the pace of fan-film releases increasing in the next few years, I guess I'm hoping to avoid seeing Phase 2, Valiant and Farragut each featuring the USS ESSEX with Captains Shmoigerberg, Altezzoso and Malaka, respectively...

If also by placing all of these guys together within the same thread can help future producers be more creative, that would also be cool...

I

13. Axiom1

Axiom1 Ensign Red Shirt

An interesting thread.

14. Maurice

Misogyny. Anyway where do you get that? He treats Harris as any other officer. His frustration with Richards is simply that he doesn't want a personal assistant at all, let alone one who knows so much about his history.

I think that oversimplifies things. First, it wasn't a girlfriend he lost, but his fiancee. He perhaps also feels a bit slighted at being assigned to the "unwanted starship" and having his choice for First Officer (Cutty) rejected and being assigned Harris instead. This factored into a possible episode I'd been writing after "The Atlantis Invaders" got scrubbed.

I believe the Johnsons imagined it as either Star Trek recast for a 4th season OR a spinoff show set on a different ship.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018