Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Thanks for the recommedation - DS9 has always been my favourite so I will give the books a go. Are there any in particular that you found really good?

2. Keptin J D Reed

Keptin J D Reed Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Kirsten. Start with the Twist of Faith omnibus.

3. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, My name's Russ.

I'm a long-time fan of Star Trek, it was TNG that got me into Trek in the first place. I knew of Trek and really liked "Wrath of Khan" and "Voyage Home", but I couldn't describe myself as a fan until after I saw TNG. Now, I have most episodes of TOS, TNG, DS9 memorized or at least know the title of the episode within seconds of turning it on. I never did jump on the VOY bandwagon, however.

My favorite charaters are: La Forge and Picard.

My favorite episodes include: Tin Man, The Defector, Yesterday's Enterprise, and the Inner Light.

I'm a big fan of the ships themselves and their histories in Trek.

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome, satyrquaze! It is good to see new members bonding, too. Check out the Redshirt Lounge as soon as you are able. It is a good place to get to know each other better.

Just a note for all newbies: The Lounges are a good place for fun, games and fellowship with people of similar rank (time aboard & post count). Look for one and join in. As you move up in rank, you gain access to the appropriate lounge [Captain's Lounge, Fleet Captain's Lounge, etc.].

5. kirsten187

Thanks for the advice - I've been posting in the Red Shirt Lounges for the last few days. Hey, wait - I'm still alive!

6. D.W.C

D.W.C Ensign Red Shirt

Hi everyone names Darryl, I got involved in Trek in July (I had seen some episodes of TNG when I was younger at my nans but I wasn't really paying attention as I preferred superheroes) after a repeated viewing of 'The Voyage Home' I decided I was gonna watch the series, I bought the 1st season of TOS and loved it from the 1st episode of 'Man Trap' (the dvd listings go from the original air date, as I know now that 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' is the 1st episode but 3rd on the dvd) and quickly went through the season then season 2 and 3, I then bought the Special Collectors boxset of I-X, then proceeded to the TNG series, and after watching all of them and revisiting certain episodes and multiple viewings of the films, I can't believe its only been about 4 months since I decided to watch ST as it feels like I've watched it my whole life by the way I feel about it and the characters (Spock being my favourite). Like many I was put off ST because of the negative view of the fans portrayed by the mainstream, however have come to learn that the view of Trekkies/Trekkers is mostly false (a small minority are what the mainstream paint them as) and am proud to call myself a Trekker.

I look forward to watching DS9(I have already seen the Tribble episode and think I'll enjoy this series) and Voyager, I have heard some negative things about Enterprise, but I'll judge it myself. I've seen some of the episodes of TAS and think they are awful, mostly due to the animation but I feel I have to watch them so at some time I'm gonna.

Guess I'll end with Live Long and Prosper!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome aboard, D.W.C.! Some of those stereotype Trekkies are members, but the majority are fairly normal fans.:guffaw:

Glad to help. We all started out as Redshirts... most of us survived to tell our tales.:mallory:

8. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you, sir! I'm enjoying myself.

9. kirsten187

So am I, Rear Admiral. I'm glad to be here.

10. chuS'ugh

chuS'ugh Ensign Newbie

Hey now! :klingon:

:lol:

Hi folks. Been a moderate Trek fan for decades but for some reason have slid almost into full blown geekdom. Probably all started when one of my bands start singing Klingon (and other intergalatic) music! :devil:

11. kirsten187

That sounds similar to me! I started watching in 1996 when I was 15 but only really liked TNG. Then I started watching DS9 soon after and that was my favourite for many years. I didn't really watch TOS, only ever a few episodes here and there. I've seen some Voyager and Enterprise but have never been keen on either so don't watch them anymore. I've had all 7 seasons of DS9 on DVD for a few years and recently bought all 3 seasons of TOS on DVD last month. I love TOS now - it rocks!

12. EmiDaShogun

EmiDaShogun Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone! I am a long time Trekkie, ever since I can remember! I am really excited to be a part of this great forum and look forward to chatting with you all on all things TREK! :)

13. kirsten187

Hi, hope you enjoy being here :techman:

14. the skullcowboy

the skullcowboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hi there, Looking forward to the coming days, getting to know the people here and some good trek talk/info. I am a long time fan of most of the series, though I was not too keen on " enterprise " and " DS9 " I would say is my personal fave, anyhow I've taken up enough 1's and 0's for this post...so I'll simply add...hailing frequencies open.

15. Mrs Plinks

Mrs Plinks Cadet Newbie

Hello everyone!
    I'm more or less new to Trek fandom, used to watch TNG and DS9 in my teens, then had a looong break, now I'm being sucked back in and actually start to appreciate TOS.

16. kirsten187

Join the club! How are you finding TOS?

17. Mrs Plinks

Mrs Plinks Cadet Newbie

At the moment I'm finding it on my Christmas wishlist! *lol*
    Should have specified, by starting to appreciate I actually meant I want to watch it front to back on my tv :rolleyes:
    But with Christmas coming up money has to be invested in presents and the like, so I've put it on my wishlist.
    Till then I have at least the movies to tidy me over.

18. Chaos

Chaos Ensign Red Shirt

Hello everyone! I am very bad at introductions, so I will just begin by saying that I have been a hardcore trekkie since I was about 14 (which means about 6 years) and I love all of the series and movies, though it was TOS that got me hooked. :techman: I am also obsessed with the Vulcans and Romulans - I don't know, I just sort of have a thing for those ears.. :rommie:

19. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Greetings, Chaos. Love the name!

20. Chaos

Chaos Ensign Red Shirt

Hey, right back at ya :cool: And thank you for the welcome :)