Twin Peaks: The Review Run

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joe Washington, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm thinking of watching all episodes of Twin Peaks from the first episode to the last and then watch Twin Peaks: Walk With Fire as the show's coda. While I'm doing this, I'll be making mini-reviews of the episodes and the movie like the Babylon 5 thread which commented on each B5 episode or the Supernatural thread a while back ago that commented on episodes of the first season. Post a reply if you want to share some thoughts on aspects of the Twin Peaks show or the specific episodes I'm reviewing.

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just make sure you have plenty of either medication or alcohol handy while watching!

3. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I will have plenty of comments.
    We watched the pilot a few days ago with a visiting friend who was intrigued by my TP poster. That alone made me want to watch everything again, so this is good timing, and I may try to watch along with you best I can.

4. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Make sure you watch the international version of the pilot as well, but don't watch it till the very end if you don't know the storyline. As explained in the Gold Box DVD set, Lynch was more or less forced to make a standalone version of the pilot that wrapped up the whole storyline in 2 hours. It's interesting to watch it after you've seen the whole series to compare how he ended the story initially and how it eventually played out.

I'm assuming you have the Gold Box set. If you're watching other editions on DVD I believe the pilot is only available otherwise as the international version, and the DVD season box set omits the pilot because of licensing and ownership differences. The Gold Box rectified all of that; all it's missing is Fire Walk with Me.

Also, Fire Walk With Me is a prequel, so it might be worth watching it first, except that it was a prequel that required knowledge of the series ... one reason it failed, probably. So in that respect it doesn't really matter when you watch it.

Alex

5. Joe Washington

I'll be watching online episodes of Twin Peaks. I don't have the DVD set. Sorry.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I believe that, conversely, it also spoiled some things from the series. So it is best watched last, at least the first time through.

7. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fire Walk with Me should definitely be watched last; IIRC, it's both a prequel and a sequel, since a vision of Annie makes reference to Cooper's situation (and, by implication, hers) at the end of the TV series.

8. Kirkman1987

This.

The pilot is not on CBS, but can be found easily on youtube. The gold box is a great release though, snatch it up if ever you have the chance. the special features disc is great.

9. snakespeare

snakespeare Commander Red Shirt

I triple-concur. Keep Fire Walk With Me for the end. Too many spoilers.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I can't put my finger on exactly why but to this day Fire Walk With Me is still the scariest movie I've ever seen.

11. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love the show, loved the movie.
    Not sure how it registers as "sci fi and fantasy" though... ;)

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Uhh, there was a guy possessed by an evil entity, there were prophetic dreams, and the owls were not what they seemed. I'd say it had some pretty clear fantasy elements.

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I think it is the sound mix. It seems to work on some kind of unconscious level to mess people up. Lynch is credited with the sound design himself, and I think he wrote that pounding music in the bar too, so perhaps this is undiluted TP, as opposed to the series, which has lots of Mark Frost influence (not a bad thing at all -- I think I may like Frost's ideas for the lodge better than Lynch's -- but absolutely different from Lynch alone.)

As an adult, I've only rarely ever been 'gotten' by a movie (as a kid, THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE did it to me.) But FWWM had me so messed up that I had to pull off the road and stop the car, because all of a sudden I was shaking, and this was ten minutes after I left the theater.

The fact that there were only two other people in the screening may have enhanced the effect, since I felt like I was alone in the theater watching the movie.

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Oh yeah, plus one character got her soul trapped inside a hotel doorknob. Fantasy elements, def.

15. Kirkman1987

anyone missing the fantasy elements must have missed the last episode.

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL, alright, alright Fantasy it is, then! :lol:

When I think sci-fi fantasy, it's Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter that first come up. I'll have to put Dale Cooper and Laura Palmer on that list, too.

17. Joe Washington

And so it begins:

1x01 “Pilot”

The pilot of Twin Peaks is one of my favorite TV pilots because it has this way of easing you into the show’s world without feeling the need to rush you into the middle of action or dumping you with large amounts of backstory right out of the gate. The opening credits are also a favorite of mine with its lullaby-like music being played in the background of the town’s peaceful sights.

The buildup to Laura Palmers’ parents finding out that their daughter was murdered felt so real and ultimately heartbreaking when the bleak moment of truth arrived for them. How others in Twin Peaks react to the news of Laura’s death added more to the realness of grief and the emotional impact of Laura’s murder. I have rarely seen something like this portrayed in such an emotionally moving way on TV which told me that this show was something special.

When Agent Cooper was introduced half an hour into the episode, I found him instantly interesting starting with his first scene. How he switched in his talking to his recorder between providing details of the start of his investigation and his love for food and trees amazes me. He’s a peculiar guy but a brilliant investigator. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cooper was one of the inspirations for Detective Robert Goren of Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

Like Agent Cooper, every character on Twin Peaks has something unique about them. From Sheriff Truman to the screwball therapist. To the deviously rebellious Audrey to the gas station owner Ed, who carries the air of a Western cowboy. To the not-so-smart but adorable couple Andy and Lucy to James and Donna, two heartbroken souls who had a special bond with Laura and each other. However, I can’t figure out the Bobby character. Sometimes it looks like he’s full of it and doesn’t give a crap about Laura by the way he’s having no remorse cheating on her behind her back. But sometimes it looks like he’s genuinely hurt by Laura’s death and wants the person responsible to suffer horribly. Whether that desire for revenge comes from his feelings for Laura or his need to prove himself as a man, I don’t know. I would have to watch more episodes to put my finger on what this guy’s all about. I also don’t like the Catherine woman who has the image of an evil stepmother from a fairy tale which makes me feel sorry for her husband Pete, a kind-hearted guy who just wants to help people out.

I don’t know if it’s me but I’m getting a 50’s/60’s vibe from characters like Bobby and Shelly, the way they speak, and places like the diner and the high school. Even some of the townspeople’s clothes matched the style of that era. And Benjamin Horne who seems to be a major figure in town is giving me a Lionel Luthor vibe with her daughter Audrey, in that case, being a female version of Lex Luthor.

Now on the subject of Laura Palmer’s murder, all I have to say about it is one line spoken by Han Solo in Star Wars: A New Hope: “I have a real bad feeling about this.” Whatever happened to Laura, Ronnie, and the girl before them, a part of me is afraid to know more about it other than the hints that’s been given. It’s like I’m on the edge of the abyss and I’ve only seen a speck of its darkness. Those of you who’ve mentioned that Fire Walk With Me, the movie based on the days leading up to Laura’s murder, is scary as hell proves it. But like I said before, I’m in it for the entire run of the show and since I’ve barely scratched the surface of the mysteries of Laura Palmer and the citizens of Twin Peaks, I can’t wait to see what pops up next.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  18. Kirkman1987

Nice first review. Have you seen all of the series before, Joe? If not, you are in for a treat.

This show starts in top form

Thinking it over, I think Twin Peaks has the best pilot ever. The structure is pitch perfect and at the same time unique. As you said, the pace is never rushed, allowing you to soak in each new character being introduced (There are lots of them too, an impressive feat!) , and just get mesmerized by the visuals and music.

It's also just how funny everything in this episode is. Once Cooper is introduced, The tone turns 180 degrees. Twin Peaks is close to my favorite series, but Cooper is by far my favorite TV character. Everything about him and every movement or speech he makes is fascinating to watch. The famed Atmosphere of this show is very evident early on, with such quirks as the fallen deer head, the broken fluorescent lights in the hospital, and the massive table of donuts. The little touches like these add to the charm and visual flair.

Speaking of comedy, There are lots of things in this show that I have no idea whether they are supposed to be funny or not. Soap opera or soap opera parody? it always seems to be both depending on the scene.

Yes, The 50's/60's is not just you. David Lynch really likes that era and a several of his films have the same look. In fact, if you want to see something "peaksish" after you finish the series, check out Lynch's Blue Velvet. Like Peaks, it's a mystery set in a small logging community. It even has Kyle Maclachlan in it.

The music is great. I keep meaning to get the soundtracks but never get around to it.

As a last note and a fun piece of trivia, notice that Cooper Refers to Sam Stanley, Kiefer Sutherland's FBI agent from the prequel. I thought it was so cool that they turned this meaningless line from the pilot into something down the road.

19. Joe Washington

I have seen Blue Velvet years ago but I wasn't much into it. Some parts of the movie didn't make sense to me and others just creep me out.

I've only seen most of the first five episodes of Twin Peaks' first season after the pilot but for the purposes of this thread, I'm going to rewatch those episodes so I can make my reviews with the episodes fresh in my mind.

And I think I may have missed the mention of Sam Stanely in the pilot. Was he the expert Cooper decided not to bring in on the investigation when he was talking on the phone to someone from the FBI?

20. Kirkman1987

Exactly, he was the expert Cooper didn't bring in, bringing in Albert instead. It's just a throwaway line, but it's cool that they remembered something like that when making the prequel film.

I can see why you may not care for Blue Velvet. I felt it worth mentioning, and the similarites are there (dark undertones beneath cheery small town America) but Blue Velvet is far darker, with the exception of FWWM and a few bits of the series.

Only the first five episodes then......oh, how I wish I could see it all with fresh eyes again. That's great.