Can I suggest an Art Contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Frontier, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I always chalked it up to "great minds think alike", "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" or "in-joke among the production crew". Take your pick.

2. BrookeStephen

BrookeStephen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

funny you should mention that...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc0HjG6cows&feature=channel_page

3. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

well heres a few: a few I have more, many many more...

• Non-Trek Borg Ships... The Borg assimilate ships right? not just the E, so is it to much of a long shot to assume that if the borg manage to find there way into an alternate reality or a galaxy far far way, that they would assimilate ships there to? I've always wanted to do a Borg Star Destroyer...., or maybe a Deather Star ;) and I'm using star wars references because honestly, other than Trek and Wars, I don't know of many other ships in various series but, I know theres many out there
    • Trek Vs Wars, I know I know, don't let the cat out of the bag but... the thought of a Borg Death Star got me thinking, many think Star Destroyers are all that but size isn't everything, lasers vs phasers lol....so lets defend our ships dignity and do some war pictures
    • "Starfleetized" ships I was wondering what a Trek Star Destroyer might look like, but hey, why limit this to just that, we not do federation versions of many other ships?
    • Power Sources, starfleet uses M/AM, the Romulans use singularities... many star wars ships use simple fusion...... but what about other sources, I'm doing a possible Omega Particle chamber design but it got me thinking, what about other ones? even if they don't give off that much energy, well make up for it...
    • Submarine vessels, ok look guys, we have ships that exlore space in trek, but theres so much out there most starships aren't equiped to explore, like under the ocean of some planet, now theres certain shielding techniques, and the delta flyer but... I'd like to see ships built for this, even weapons systems designed for this environment, weather the ship can do space-flight, is up to you...
    • Alien Ships, pick an alien ship design we've seen on screen, in concept art, ect. only once or twice and expand on the design, make a ship that shares some design lineage.
    • Anti-ship devices, theres self replicating mines, and even defensive stations, but what about some small weapons pods, many of them,that coordinate attacks.. or some kind of defenice grid, who knows...
    • Alien Spacestations, in a Tribute to DS9, or Terrok Nor as the Cardasians call it, what about other stations, have we ever seen a Vulcan station? or a gorn station? Lyran? Klingon? Dominion? Andorian, Tellarite, Talaxian, Ferengi?
    • StarShip Fender Bender, ouht oh, that Klingon just hit me, great, I hope he has insurance lol, need I say more?
    • speaking of insurance, starship insurance ads?
    • I saw a photo of a smilie face during a warp core breach, it was funny, so photo-manipulated images for humor?
    • Fighters, I would say federation fighters but we got the scouts in Innsurection so, Ferengi fighers? Klingon fighters? anything?
    • alien evolution, take a life form like a Dolphin and re-invision it to be humanoid
    • Non-Trek but fun!, take aliens from cartoons and make them look real, like Zoidberg or Elzar from futurama or for Trek related species, do the opposite?

4. DRACO

DRACO Captain Captain

Here's a great idea!

there was nothing on TV but coin collection shows, (well pretty much anyways) and after I was done thinking about how expensive coin collecting can be (I do have a nice little collection, mostly from other countries though, I have all state quarters but haven't even seen the new presidential dollars yet, believe I know, remember the buffalo nickle? I have two of those, not the three legged error variant, I wish, its like what 2.5mil o.0, so yeah ) and how most of the coins I've collected aren't meant and.....

anyway after I got passed my "collector mode", I thought hey, I know what would be cool, and by know I'd hope you've guessed it!

Star Trek Coins! maybe one honoring the peace Treaties of Khitomer, the Battle of Wolf, The Phoenix, ect.

now I know, the economics of the future aren't based on money... at least in the federation, which may simply leave us with the coins of other races....

but there has to be some some kind of way of placing value, and there must be supply and demand, not everybody can be a scientist or star fleet officer, what about manual labor? sure we have replicators to meet most of our needs, but as the show mentions, there are materials they have as yet, been unable to replicate, and someone has to help but those huge starships together xd, so to "better yourself" and explore may be very poetic, surely there are some rather mundane jobs that need to be done..

but bettering yourself, doesn't just apply to your self but the society you live in as well, and in the various trek games (I don't know if it's cannon) we have Prestige, for service and innovation, this gives us a scapegoat on all levels, and can be applied to any job, the more you work to improve society, to better it, and yourself in the process, the more prestige you earn, the more you can spend on whatever you want.... in this way, the amount somone earns also reflects the advancement of the cultue, everbody has to work togther, the "class gap" is virtually gone, and bettering society does mean available health care and education to everyone, all works out, no callapse...

and the neet thing is, we never see a picture of the pestige, prestige could just be an indication of achievements, or honor, but in all the trek games I have, you use it to accuire new ships and other resources... usually having an overall prestige gained for your carear, and a second area displaying the prestige youv'e gained but haven't spent...

now it's most likely this is all electronic but.... I'm sure physical prestige could be requested, and hey we could even do bills and checks here..

but even if they have no such system, with the popularity of coin collecting and the historical events they can reflect... I'm sure we'd at least have non-monetary commemerative coins... which reminds me, I want that new Obama coin :)

5. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's an idea I was thinking about. In Fantastic Four 2, they introduced the Fantasicar, which was "built" by Dodge, and even contained familiar Dodge traits, such as the front grill and logo. My suggestion would be to create a Star Trek craft belonging to a particular car maker (Dodge, Ford, Chevy, etc). The craft would need to contain visual traits that make it identifiable as a particular brand.

6. ireadalot

ireadalot Cadet Newbie

TELL ME SOMEONE WHO CAN DRAW HAS AT LEAST MADE AN ATTEMPT TO DRAW SOME OF THE NEW SPECIES. I CAN'T DRAW AND FIND MY IMAGINATION LACKING IN SOME INSTANCES - EXAMPLE TORVIG- BODY OF OSTRICH, HEAD OF SHEEP, MECHANICAL ARMS, TAIL WITH A HAND, ETC. HELP!!!

7. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since we know Nokia survives into the 23rd century, why not Apple?

So what would a 23rd century iPhone be able to do? Probably anything, since "there's an app. for that!"

People can be creative (doing 3D & 4D apps), but even those with limited ability could participate, especially if someone gave a sample photo to work on.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Art based on Startrekker the Star trek manga parody from 1991 (link to it is my sig here and / or do a goggle search for my torrent of it :) )

9. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I was thinking about a challenge I'd like to see here, and here is my humble idea...

This is from my fanfic series "Star Trek: Entomalians"... in the story, there is a monument on the grounds of Starfleet Command, honoring the fallen people from Wolf 359, called the "Federation Wall". Below is a description of the wall, and why it is called what it is called...

The Federation Wall is a stone monument on the grounds of Starfleet Command, in San Francisco, that lists the names of everyone lost at Wolf 359, by ship. The Federation Wall was named for the fact that it was constructed using one stone from every Federation member world, to symbolize the entire UFP coming together in unity, in a time of tragedy. The Federation Wall is the centerpiece of the Wolf 359 Memorial Park.

I'm not envisioning anything like a statue or sculpture, but rather a simple stone wall, but artistically designed, to appear to have an abstract or modern form, with a "shiny" look, like it is made of polished stones, like jade, obsidian, or marble. The UFP seal should be a part of the wall. If anyone wants to take this on, cool, if not, oh, well... it's there just the same, lol.

10. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there a definitive list of the ships that were at Wolf 359?

11. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I think there is... IIRC, it's in either the first version of the ST Encyclopedia, or the ST: TNG Companion.

The "Art of Star Trek" book shows a wrecked shuttle from the U.S.S. Liberator, as well.

In any case, ONE of the ships on the wall should be the U.S.S. Zodiac, which is a Cheyenne-Class ship that's destroyed in the story, at Wolf 359.

12. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Has anyone thought of doing retro Trek? Visualizing the ships, interiors, and uniforms of Trek TOS if it had been done as a series of feature films or serials in, say, the 1930s?

13. Captain Robert April

It's been awhile, but there have been contests like that in the past.

Maybe we're due for another one...

14. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone suggested a merged tech contest? i.e. what a Borgified Romulan Warbird might look like, or a new ship born of Starfleet/Klingon collaboration. Could apply to smaller items as well.

15. Captain Robert April

How about magazine covers?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  16. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

this image i made in May from a Manga cover should apply to this thread very nicely :) :D

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

How about a contest visualizing...

...the New Deep Space Nine station as described at the end of Raise the Dawn by David R. George III? The original DS9 station was destroyed at the end of the novel Plagues of Night (also by DRG3) and construction on it's new state of the art Starfleet replacement, designed by Miles O'Brien and Nog and also designated DS9, began in RtD.

If anyone is interested...
    The new station is described like this on page 394 of RtD...

18. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

19. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Create concept art - ship and/or alien sketches, promo posters, etc - for the "modern, more gritty" reboot of Captain Proton that ran for seven years as a syndicated series in the past of the Trek universe, sometime between 1987 and 2013 (your choice of exactly when if it makes a difference in how you would lay it out).

20. Uhurock

Uhurock Ensign Red Shirt

Have any of these challenges been answered, and if so, where would I find the art ...?

Trek BBS newbie