John Doe senior Enterprise officers in "The Enterprise Incident"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Robert Comsol, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Rewatching "The Enterprise Incident" last night I noticed two senior officers in the briefing room scene I previously wasn't aware of.

It appears Commander Giotto ("The Devil in the Dark") has been replaced by a new head of security (rank of Commander) and there is also a new tactical officer of the command division (rank of Lt. Commander).

Have the names (in-universe or in real life) of these gentlemen already been established?

Bob

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Memory Beta lists various security chiefs from the novel continuity. The only recurring character is one Ingrit Thomson, an unlikely match for the man (?) in red seen here... I don't recognize the two chiefs whose entries remain to be written, Cruz or Kinitz.

But I guess it's a safe bet that the Commander we see is indeed the newest security boss, and that a person of such approximate rank would always have been in charge of Kirk's redshirt force, even if typically remaining offscreen.

We could still associate this officer with the vaguely similar-looking TAS character of Gabler, seen in both engineering and security redshirt duties in that series, if we wished. We'd just have to assume that Gabler got busted in rank at some point, or that the TOS episode takes place after the relevant TAS ones.

No idea how to track down the possible novelverse identity of the goldshirt...

Timo Saloniemi

3. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So those fellows are the Security Chief and Senior Tactical Officer. They were summoned by the captain in conference regarding their precarious situation surrounded by enemy Romulan ships. AND THEY SAY NOTHING. No comment, no contribution, no opinion.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

My fanwank is that the officers were slipped aboard by Starfleet Intelligence just for this mission. That's why they're seen and not heard: they're spooks. But they have the ranks to issue orders if the mission goes south, probably to make sure the Enterprise is blown up, and if possible to storm a Romulan ship.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Better than my explanation which is Roddenberry/Freiberger took a couple of dark skinned guys and tossed them in the background to make the show look progressive.

6. Robert Comsol

@ SchwEnt

As far as we know there may have been a strategic discussion involving these gentlemen any by the time "we" get to the briefing room they contributed what they had or could contribute:

KIRK: The design of the ship is the same. Mister Spock, you said you had a theory on why your sensors didn't pick up the new ships until they were upon us.
    SPOCK: I believe the Romulans have developed a cloaking device which renders our tracking sensors useless.
    KIRK: If so, Romulans could attack in Federation territory before we knew they were there, before a vessel or planet could get even begin to get their defences up.

(Notice the show Kirk and Spock put up in front of the others, already well aware that the Romulans did develop a new cloaking device ;))

@ CorporalCaptain

That's an interesting theory but wouldn't McCoy and Scotty have gotten suspicious about their presence? :rolleyes:

Bob

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would they be suspicious, if they were assigned to the ship as if they were normal transfers? I didn't mean they would appear as stowaways. Of course all their paperwork would check out. Geez.

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The gold shirt behind McCoy is actual Gary Mitchell (a few pound heavier), he's came back to the ship from Delta Vega the same time Kirk did. He moves about the ship, slightly changing his appearence from time to time.

Nobody knows him, everyone just assumes he belongs there.

:)

9. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a good possibility. We do seem to cut to the briefing room scene "already in progress." I'd like to think that security and tactical would have something to contribute in a situation like this.

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

RACIST!! :lol:

(Hey, somebody had to.)

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those S3 tunis really photograph green nicely, don't they?

At least in the color-corrected (or . . . adjusted?!) TOS-R this appears to be from.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Uh, the wall is green. Although the yellow tunics aren't quite as bright as they were the first two seasons, maybe?

13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This way lies danger. . . .

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

The "on my screen" is implied? :D

15. Robert Comsol

In "Mirror, Mirror" Marla makes a reference to an unseen "Commander Kenno".

Admittedly, it's the mirror universe but apparently all the regulars are there, too, so "Commander Kenno" might be the redshirt seen in "The Enterprise Incident" briefing room scene.
    The command division officer seems to be of hispanic origin, thus I'd think "Cruz" could be his name.

Bob

16. Robert Comsol

In "Mirror, Mirror" Marla makes a reference of taking her chances with an unseen "Commander Kenno" so this might be the name of the redshirt commander we are looking for.

The command division officer seems to be of hispanic origin, so I'd think "Cruz" could qualify as a credible name.

Bob

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, found the Juan Cruz reference. This Chief of Security buys it in the novel Dreams of the Raven, rather decidedly so: first a species that assimilates people by eating their brains cracks opens his skull with its beak, swallows, and "becomes" him, then a Klingon snaps the neck of this alien hosting his brain...

Nothing definite in the dating of that novel, plotwise. The stardate given is 5302, thus Cruz could still have been alive in "The Enterprise Incident".

However, Cruz is addressed as mere "lieutenant" at one point. :( And yes, he definitely wears red rather than gold in the novel, even before the blood starts to spray.

Timo Saloniemi