Treking through all Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by thew40, Sep 21, 2009.

1. thew40

thew40 Commander Red Shirt

Awesome! Can't wait to compare notes! :bolian:

----

Series: Enterprise – Season Two
    Episode: “Shockwave, Part Two”
    Trek Installment # 26
    Grade: D
    Viewing Date: October 7, 2009

Every bit of excitement that “Shockwave Part One” brought to the table is completely lost here. Archer and Daniels adventure in the future is boring and has a resolution that is way too convenient. We see T’Pol get tortured in her underwear, Hoshi has a wacky shirtless excursion, and Silik gets emotional when he can’t get in touch with Future Guy. Talk about a let-down.
    The resolution comes fast. The only part I did like was when T’Pol stood up for the humans after Archer’s asinine gazelle speech. Everything else is irritating and faulty.

2. thew40

Episode: “Carbon Creek”
    Trek Installment # 27
    Grade: B +
    Viewing Date: October 7, 2009

I really liked this episode, though I’m having a hard time writing exactly why. It was off the beaten path, for sure. It was down-to-Earth and enjoyable. Actually, I think I liked about 98% of it. But a few things stuck out like sore thumbs – most notably the people in Carbon Creek were extremely generic and the music was terrible.

Other than that, the concept that Vulcans came to Earth in the 1950s and one of them fell in love with humanity so much that he decided to stay here is fairly unique. It plays into the larger continuity, as First Contact made references to Vulcans finding humanity to being “too primitive.”

Hokey-ness aside, it’s a good episode.

3. thew40

Episode: “Minefield”
    Trek Installment # 28
    Grade: A-
    Viewing Date: October 11, 2009

Wow. Great episode. I loved it. Just loved it. Not only did it bring in the Romulans, but it also allowed Reed some development. The guy has a death wish, that’s for sure. He takes such a “woe-is-me” attitude about it, but is so ready to just leap into death that it’s almost a little troubling. Even Archer seems a little more than concerned about Reed’s readiness.

But I digress . . .

The Romulans are just barely in here, but I really felt like this was a good way to introduce them. Mysterious, dangerous, and demanding. These aren't the foreheads of the week, these are badasses who don't screw around. Great episode.

4. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I just wanted to point out that you don't need to buy anything to do this. You can rent everything through Netflix.

5. thew40

Episode: “Dead Stop”
    Trek Installment # 29
    Grade: C+
    Viewing Date: October 12, 2009

Not a bad premise. Nice follow-up to “Minefield.” But it was a little on the dull side. Of course it was too good to be true, of course there was some serious bad stuff going on, of course something bad happens. If you don’t see it coming, then you need to check to see if this repair station took your brain.

I tend to think of this episode as “Mayweather’s Brain,” which begs the question . . . why Mayweather? Why not Hoshi or T’Pol or Reed or Porthos? Is it because he’s so young or what? And it’s not like he learns anything or his character develops at all.

Odd as it sounds, this would have made a good “Voyager” episode (note the director and voice of the station). Think about it. Someone gets a hold of some Borg tech and transforms it into a repair station. Voyager, which has taken a real beating over the years, comes across it and suddenly the whole ship is a okay, but at the price of Ensign Kim’s brain. Seriously, just substitute the ship and the characters and, well, there ya go.

6. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

I think they used Mayweather because he is so minor that it is actually quite possible they would kill him off. With a more major character, you would expect them to get back much more.

7. thew40

Who would miss him?

I think killing his character would develop him more than what he's had so far (and will recieve).

8. thew40

You guys are getting a two-fer-one deal today, as these nexy episodes were horrendously bad and I just want to post both reviews and get them out of the way.

Episode: “A Night In Sickbay”
    Trek Installment # 30
    Grade: D -

An episode that is so bad, it’s good. Archer acts like a dick, T’Pol is the voice of reason, and Phlox just acts goofy. That being said, the only good part about it is the characterization on Phlox’s part and that’s the only thing that makes it a D- and not an F.

The whole Archer/T’Pol concept is "okay." Does it make any sense? No. Has it had any build-up? No. Has there been anything in their shared history that would make me think that he could have the hots for her? Not really. He's been warming up to her, yes. Starting to respect her and understand both her and Vulcan a lot more. But there has been NOTHING to indicate that his feelings towards her boarders on anything more than platoinic. Even if just finds he sexy, it doesn't make sense that he would just up and bothered by it.

Argh.

The Porthos plot that holds the story together is forced, at best. Everything else is just dumb. The Kreetassans are a really idiotic race that needs to just . . . ugh. Just a shitty episode. Let’s move on please.

------------

Episode: “Marauders”
    Trek Installment # 31
    Grade: F

I liked this episode better when it was “Seven Samurai” and “The Magnificent Seven.” Not only was this episode a complete and total rip-off of these films, it also continues to make the Klingons look like nothing more than dumbass bullies. Terrible, awful, and just a waste of my time.

And why come up with a brand-new race for these people? Why not instead use a more interest and non-traditional species that we’ve only maybe seen in the background once or twice like Arcadia or Grazerite or Arbazan or Shamin? Lame.

9. T'Na

T'Na Ensign Newbie

I have to agree. This episode deserves a b (+ in my opinion). I loved the way both vulcan culture and andorian temperament were explored here.

I am currently also watching all episodes in chronological order, so this "nerdy dream" of yours seems more common :0)

take care, have fun watching. I am looking forward to reading more about your reviews.

10. T'Na

T'Na Ensign Newbie

although i find the reply a bit harsh i have to admit that i feel equal puzzlement over this rating ;0)

anyhow, i am really enjoying your review, keep on going !

11. T'Na

T'Na Ensign Newbie

although i find the reply a bit harsh i have to agree about the rating issue :0)

i am enjoying your reviews, keep going !

12. T'Na

T'Na Ensign Newbie

my appologies, these were meant as comments for various posts - i don't seem to have the hang of the posting business just yet. bear with me :0(

13. thew40

Thanks!

I'm assuming you're talking about "The Andorian Incident?" I guess I'm just the odd man out on that one. I liked it, sure, but I didn't find it to be Enterprise's best. It ropes the Vulcans into being asses and Archer comes off poorly. I liked the Andorians, of course, and I'm a big fan of Shran. But ultimately, the good and the bad neutralized it.

Nah. I like hear what other people think (er, for the most part). My opinion is certainly not universal.

And to be clear, I certainly didn't hate the episode. I just didn't love it.

You'll get the hang of it. :)

-------

Episode: “The Seventh”
    Trek Installment # 32
    Grade: B-

I was really expecting to dislike this episode, as the past few have been particularly terrible. But this one was surprisingly good. There’s an explanation as to why T’Pol is acting emotional – and we get more development for her. A look into T’Pol background has been lacking since her introduction and I’m happy for one that reveals a darker picture of T’Pol’s past. The location used here and the presentation of the flashbacks really help this episode rise above the average.

The general episode is sound, thought I question Archer’s device of the Vulcan’s orders. Archer is most right-thinking, open-minded Captain yet, but the fact that he just keeps insisting that the Vulcans are right and she needs to follow their orders is just plain out of character.

14. thew40

Episode: “The Communicator”
    Trek Installment # 33
    Grade: D+
    Viewing Date: October 14, 2009

Nothing like a good ol’ fashioned Prime Directive story . . .

I hate how Archer just won’t start making up shit. Seriously, dude, just lie. Tell them the communicators are toys, tell them you’re working for an intelligence agency, tell them something. All he says is just “I don’t know.” And how come Enterprise doesn’t just beam them up, beam someone else down there all secret-like and then head on out?

Okay, so eventually, he does start lying . . . but at the wrong time. After the jig is up, of course. And what’s with the “woe is me” attitude from both Archer and Reed while they’re in the jail?

Nice touch of continuity using the Suliban ship. But what’s up with Trip’s cloaked hand?

Gotta be honest, though, I like how this episode devolves into a reverse Roswell. And Archer questioning if crewmembers had to be sacrificed to protect cultural growth was a nice element to the story, but I would have liked that examined more. And again, at the end, why not make arrangements to beam someone in to get the scanners, communicators, and phase pistols?

This episode wasn’t terrible, but the amount of plot holes and untapped potential there is just ruins it. Plus the species was incredibly flat.

15. thew40

Episode: “Singularity”
    Trek Installment # 34
    Viewing Date: October 14, 2009

This is really the first episode of Enterprise that felt like it could have been an episode of the original series. Something about a strange black hole having a mental effect on the crew really reminded me (for some reason) of “The Naked Time” and “This Side of Paradise.” It was well done, entertaining and well-rounded.

I liked the part when Archer speaks to T’Pol about his father’s biography. Beyond that, though, why did T’Pol grab Archer to help pilot the ship? This would have been a great opportunity to use Mayweather, who is the least obsessive of them all. She could have woken him despite the sedation. And Phlox doesn’t even apologize to the poor guy, either.

Decent episode, which is saying something as this season has been a major let-down thus far.

16. thew40

Episode: “Vanishing Point”
    Trek Installment # 35
    Grade: C
    Viewing Date: October 15, 2009

As an episode on its own, this was definitely not very good. However, knowing that this entire episode is nothing more than Hoshi having a very vivid transporter-induced dream makes it about ten times better. It reveals a side of Hoshi that goes unnoticed in the episode-to-episode run. It shows us that Hoshi feels excluded, ignored, and ultimately only really cared about when she dies and becomes residue.

And also that Archer really sucks as “the call.” Man, I have heard a lot of fictional officers tell family members about their loved ones dying, but none as bad as Archer.

So taken as a delusion, this was pretty good.

17. thew40

Episode: “Precious Cargo”
    Trek Installment # 36
    Grade: F
    Viewing Date: October 16, 2009

This episode is like the ugly step-child of Elann of Troyius and The Perfect Mate. Cooking talkshow host Padma Lakshmi (really badly) plays a princess who Trip bonks with later on some deserted planet. Just awful. Clichéd, bad acting, and some stupid aliens with a “twist” that we can see coming from ninety light-years away.

This episode is so damn bad, I don't even want to talk about it. :klingon:

18. thew40

Episode: “The Catwalk”
    Trek Installment # 37
    Viewing Date: October 16, 2009

I’m a little torn on “The Catwalk.” I really liked this episode for its premise and its willingness to break from the mold a little bit. That being said, like so many episodes of Enterprise, it fails to expose its full potential. This would have been a great episode to introduce some secondary characters and to toy around with claustrophobia.

Instead, it only skims the surface of this concept and instead meanders back to the “evil hostile aliens” idea that has occurred in almost every episode. I suppose I should just accept this as the standard of Enterprise and at least address the fact that in spite of that, it still manages to be fairly interesting. I actually wouldn’t have minded seeing the Takret again, because they seemed a lot less lame than other races Enterprise has encountered.

I’m willing to accept the sheer insanity of the space storm, despite it not making much sense. Why didn’t they just fly above it? It wasn’t that tall.

19. thew40

Episode: “Dawn”
    Trek Installment # 38
    Viewing Date: October 18, 2009

Not a bad episode, but not a great one. I liked the premise better when it was “Enemy Mine,” and even though Enterprise pulls it off surprisingly well, I gotta issue a reprimand for using Trip as the main character again. How much more interesting would this episode be if it was Travis down there? Or Reed? Opportunity like that can’t be wasted; I want a chance to love these other characters.

On the other hand, I did kinda like these guys (they reminded me a lot of the Takret) and (as with many foreheads of the week), I would have liked to see them again. Actually, wouldn’t that simply make sense? Have a race show up two episodes in a row? Continuity and all that?

For the record – the grading scale. I basically grade based on how much I enjoyed the episode versus the quality of the episode. Quality means the strength of the writing, how the acting on the parts of the main and guest cast was, characterization, continuity (both with the series itself and Star Trek as a whole), and if the potential of the elements was utilized. I also figure in the concept of the series. Enterprise, being a prequel, needs to have a certain amount of universe building.

20. thew40

Episode: “Stigma”
    Trek Installment # 39
    Viewing Date: October 18, 2009

I’m really torn about this episode. On the one hand, I applaud it for dealing with relevant social issues. It’s important to Star Trek and honestly, I’m glad for it. That being said, I’m getting a little tired of this whole “Vulcan’s are assholes” mentality that has become the unfortunate norm for Enterprise. I know we get a kick-ass Vulcan arc later that puts these guys in their place, but to be honest, I’m just tired of it.

I feel like I’m being too harsh on this episode, though. I just feel like the issue is coming as excessively forced. But I do yield that this episode does awaken some debate in my mind about the stigma of HIV and the implications here are present in every day life. I have to exalt Enterprise’s ability to handle this issue with maturity and sparking some discussion about it.