DS9 fans: 2nd favourite series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sam_I_Am, Jul 16, 2013.

?

DS9 fans: which is your 2nd favourite Trek series?

1. The Original Series

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. The Next Generation

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  3. Voyager

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Enterprise

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I only like DS9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

There's a similar thread in the TOS forum. If DS9 is your favourite Trek series, which series is your second favourite?

Mine is probably TNG. It's the one I grew up with and the characters are the ones I know best. Even though I think DS9 is far superior, TNG remains the series I switch on if I want something familiar and comforting.

2. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Love DS9! The most fascinating characters with deep ongoing storylines made it a must-watch for me.

But 2nd would definitely be TNG. Watching TNG feels like I'm visiting close friends or family. The crew was very tight-knit and I loved the weekly adventures, always running into something interesting. I appreciated that the writers felt no need to make it an action series and kept it close to the roots of TOS by having thought-provoking plots.

3. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

The original series. They're more alike than many people think.

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG.

I love TOS and ENT but they only have 2 great seasons. TNG has more, and those shows never made me cry like The Inner Light did. As I grow older, I appreciate TNG's serious approach more and more. While DS9 is my favourite Trek series, I think Picard is the Trek captain that most sums up Trek's ideals.

Whenever I find myself in a stressful situation, I try to apply the calm, rational, intellectual approach Picard would take.

5. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG was my favorite before I discovered DS9, so that was my vote. I wish there were more episodes of ENT.

6. DalekJim

The last 2 seasons were terrific. I'll never get why people act like modern Trek deserved to be cancelled, it was doing great towards the end.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

TNG, but mostly for the characters. Rewatching the show on blu-ray for the first time in a long while, it's become clear to me that the storytelling doesn't hold up nearly as well as it used to.

Especially compared to how rich and interesting the writing was on DS9.

8. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have an outright 2nd favourite. It's a tie between TOS and TNG.

9. Roboturner913

Roboturner913 Commander Red Shirt

TNG is my second favorite Star Trek series, although its a bit down the list as far as overall. It hasn't held up all that well - not that it was bad but DS9's writing and character development was so good TNG looks bad by comparison.

10. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

TNG is my second, and it's a very close second. I love DS9, but TNG holds a special place in my heart because it was the first Trek I ever watched.

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I also enjoyed the last two seasons of ENT, the problem was it was the first two. I don't think many people stuck around to get to the good stuff.

As for second favorite series, it would be TNG. For a long time TNG was #1, but the Dominion War arc put DS9 over the top for me. I also agree with the poster who said TOS has more alike with DS9 than many think. I thought DS9 was the true inheritor to TOS in terms of how it handled social issues and characters.

Rankings:
    DS9
    TNG
    TOS
    ENT (only because of the last two seasons)
    VOY

12. Bamarren

Bamarren Lieutenant Red Shirt

Exactly this. Grew up on TNG when it first aired, but on rewatches of them all, DS9 comes out on top every time.

13. DalekJim

DS9 is definitely the better show, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for a story arc and just want to see the space navy get in to an adventure. I'm more likely to just pop on a TNG DVD these days for comfort.

With DS9, I'd just end up watching 8 episodes in a row.

14. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

DS9 is my favorite, second is TNG

15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me it would be TNG. I love TOS, and like VOY and ENT. But TNG had good characters, good writing, better acting, better plots. But yeah, DS9 will remain my fave.

16. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

TOS for me. TNG just has too much not-fun stuff to it. And I'd watch "Spock's Brain" over "Shades of Gray" any day.