STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Does that figure include marketing and other costs? And is that profit figure money the studio has made, or simply money in tickets sold?

From the NY Times:
    These are costs which have to be factored in before the studio can make a profit.

EDIT: This article talks in detail about how movies make a profit, but their short answer is this:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are ALSO dozens of pages in this thread where people explain how movie studios artificially inflate production budget figures as well. (IE Claim the film cost way more to make than it actually did.)

In the end, the simple fact is that STiD made $457+ million worldwide to date. If that's not enough to earn a tidy profit in itself - then it's amazing how all these 'poor money loosing studios' in Hollywood survive.

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Did what?:vulcan: ;)

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Actual costs are unknown to the general public. Stated costs are bullshit numbers that may or may not be in close proximity to the real thing, but there is no way for the general public to know. We can know gross receipts (easy enough to verify). The "double the production cost" calculation is useless as it is based on unverifiable numbers. Many costs are offset by sponsors/product placement, or budgeted in different departments for tax purposes. There are far too many examples of people attempting to get their fair share for work done on films with major gross receipts who've been shunted aside by the "the costs were so high there was no profit" gag that any speculation on this is rather wasted.

STiD was profitable enough for there to be a sequel. That is really all one needs to know (unless one needs to be privy to the inner financial workings of Paramount). And even if a studio flat out says a film was a financial disappointment (which I've not seen or heard about Trek in such a direct fashion), it does not mean the film was not profitable.

5. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would take that Forbes mention with a grain of salt. Paramount, I believe, already reported that "Into Darkness" had made a profit and there was even a story a few weeks ago about how a Chinese film group is battling Paramount over Star Trek Into Darkness' profits.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I would take Forbes and bury it. Anyone who thinks STID is not profitable is either simply wrong or Viacom/Paramounts are the worst company ever who need better accountants.

7. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

Yes, that's great but its not really relevant with my point. My point was very simply that you cannot say Movie X's budget (which you agree is an unreliable number) was $100, the ticket sales were $250 and thus the movie made $150. A pretty simplistic, naive and inaccurate statement and easily shown to be false.

The public's fascination with "box office numbers" is cute but misguided. For the first 6 months the only movie revenue is theater ticket sales. STID will be lucky to make up their P&A (Prints and Advertising) costs with this revenue. Plus ticket sales are only somewhere in the range of 20-30% of a movie's total revenue. Currently STID has probably not even dented its Production budget.

30-50% of a movie's revenue will be DVD rental, DVD sales and Pay-per-view. The last big portion will be the television licensing fees which is almost pure profit producing revenue due to the major studios incestuous relationships with networks these days.

In addition a franchise like Star Trek can make more from merchandising and other licensing agreements than your typical Hollywood movie do to books, toys, comics, etc.

Also, I am not talking about the creative accounting done by the movie studios where movies like Forrest Gump, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Return of the Jedi, Harry Potter, etc, have never made a profit. That's just an example of the big Hollywood Studios ripping off actors, writers, directors, etc, and avoiding paying any taxes. Obviously the people who are important are making money hand over fist. That kind of BS accounting, however, is a discussion in itself.

STID might never be listed as making an official profit but a lot of people will make a lot of money and that will lead to a sequel which is all people around here really care about.

8. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am disappointed with Japan box office. I expected more from them. Only $4,166,687.:(

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I am so calling BS on that... in what universe did Harry Potter not make a profit?!

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They probably just gave up and illegally downloaded it due to frustration because it took so long to come out.

11. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Same as me... LOL :lol:

Paramount seems to have forgotten that we live in the age of the internet. A lot of us can just watch everything and more online.

12. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

And that's probably why they did this.

13. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Same here. I just don't want to hear Paramount whine about piracy when they pull this stuff.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Yes, but what has any of that to do with the box-office figures for... anywhere?

Edit: The above post and subsequent posts replying to it have been moved to the appropriate thread.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  15. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I think the Japan Box office is solid so far and it could treble or quadruple that opening which would be excellent imho.

16. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

As far as marketing goes, it's been discussed but it wasn't particularly good. I really really enjoyed the movie, but went in fearing the worst because outside of the Vengeance/Enterprise poster, it made it look a bit crap.

17. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

It will probably do 5-7 times its opening weekend numbers. However its opening weekend (weekends in Japan are just Sat and Sun because most movies open on Sat) was only $2 million. The 4.2 million people are quoting is acutally Fri-Sat plus the previous weekends preview weekend (Fri-Sat). So 4.2 is a 6 day total of two weekends. There is virtually no way STID can quadruple that number. To even treble it would mean it has great legs.

It will probably end up $11-12 million with a floor of around $9mil and a ceiling in the $14-15 range. Pacific Rim (another Hollywood Sci-Fi flick) opened around $2.1 million for its opening weekend and after 3 weeks has just under $12 million total. PR also had the benefit of a holiday in its first week.

The Japanese box office will be about a $10 million boost to STID's box office totals. It was never expected to be more than that. STID has not been a box office smash overseas. It has performed about average, maybe a little above. Oblivion and After Earth both made close to $200 mil overseas despite making a third to a quarter of what STID did domestically. STID is going to end up being very similar to Oz The Great and Powerful in both domestic and overseas numbers (about $7 million below domestically and $25 million less overseas).

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn you, Eggs Benedict Khanberbatch, you were supposed to be a god to those people!

19. georgy

georgy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks like STID is re-releasing in IMAX next week here in Singapore.
    Wonder if there are re-releases in other places.

20. Gsam

Gsam Lieutenant Red Shirt

here in usa they are doing a double feature of WorldWarZ and Into Darkness with a special ticket price. I am not sure if it is imax or some other format. I think it is more for the benefit of WorldWarZ than trek but certainly helps all round. They are not going to turn down more money.