Who was the most hated character among fans while DS9 was airing?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by BlueStuff, Apr 10, 2013.

1. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Says you.

2. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I know, I know. :) I'm one of the very few that can't stand O'Brien. Nothing about his character was interesting to me and I don't really care for the actor very much.

3. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Hi! Yep, I turned into a big Weoyun fan, but I think alot of his appeal was to Combs amazing acting. He really made such a detestable character likable. Once I warmed up to him, I always loved seeing him on screen.

4. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Oh, God. I knew it was going to be that clip. :barf:

5. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I'm Irish. Therefore I like O'Brien.
    Just kidding! :lol:

No, I really do like him though. He seems like he is a genuinely smart and nice guy, and he's a good engineer. He doesn't have the quick speedy answers and irrepressible zest for engineering that I see B'Elanna have on VOY, but still he ranks up there for me among the best in my eyes.

His wife is pretty one-dimensional and she annoyed me a little bit in the very beginning. I don't know why exactly. Their baby daughter is just so adorable though...I could look at that kid's face all day.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Quark is lovely.

Here's the most romantic Quark video evah..

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Br0mVBQuU[/yt]

(I do actually think Quark is hot)

7. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

For some reason, this reminded me of when I first got into Trek fanfiction in about 2001 or thereabouts and I came across of LOT of fanfiction that involved Bashir getting raped by--everyone in the cast from obvious choice of Garak to Tom Riker and even Kira. And not mirror universe Kira, either.

:wtf:

You know, you brought up something that, if a new series were to follow up beyond the 24th century, would be an interesting thing to look into. DS9 did a good job of showing the dark side of paradise between the Maquis movement and Section 31...but like Bashir points out, many of these citizens that were genetically enhanced had that imposed on them by their families...and are treated with more contempt than Romulans for it.

Seems like something that would be good to follow up on in a future Trek series.

8. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

As someone one pointed out after I mentioned about that, O'Brien got most of the torture plots in large part because he's the most centered, normal guy on the show. DS9 is the only Trek series were the number of alien characters outnumber the humans two to one form the principle cast alone, and between the three of those, one is a Bajoran god and the other is superhuman.

O'Brien already came in into the show with a family and his own history of war, so I'm not sure there was much to be done to change his character. And I'm actually okay with that, given the most of the cast does.

I would say my own least favorite character would be Jadzia Dax. It took me a while to figure out why I didn't care for her, but I think it was that she got the least amount of development that was about herself as Jadzia. Many of her stories before season four were all about Curzon or one of her other hosts, and many of the ones after season four were about being a Super Badass Klingon Liason--and we already had Worf covering that front. For this reason, I actually liked Ezri a bit more...because she's struggling to figure out about having this new identity that she never wanted or asked for and keeping her own personality as Ezri straight.

And as aside, that reveal about the true reason Curzon kicked Jadzia out the host program is some lazy-ass revisionist bullshit, and frankly a bit sexist on the part of Star Trek. Coming from the same show that did a lovely allegory on same-sex relationships, that sort of crap was waaaaaay beneath this writing team. But then, so it "Profit and Lace."

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Quark did say he wanted to eat Odo once. Though I'm fairly certain it wasn't in that context. I was actually surprised though that Quark never once teased Odo asking him if he could turn into a female.

10. Ryva Brall

We've already established that you think everyone is hot, Tea.

There is something about Quark, though. I couldn't tell you what. It defies all logic, to be perfectly honest. But there is something.

In re: Jadzia, I was never excessively fond of her, partly for the reason Anna Yolei mentioned - namely, that there wasn't enough character development for Jadzia herself. All the focus was on Dax's previous hosts, and it made Jadzia kind of uninteresting in comparison. Also, I never thought Terry Farrell was that great an actress.

But there are some things about Jadzia I like. I liked when she pranked Odo by rearranging everything in his quarters. :)

11. teacake

Not everyone. I find Odo incredibly unattractive. Didn't like him at all the first DS9 watch, obviously I appreciate him as a well developed and interesting character now. But very unattractive. Also don't personally fine Garak hot though I totally get why a lot of people do. O'Brien, not hot at all.

I like Quark's confidence, humor and overt sexuality. He's an interesting package. I'm also fond of all the wheeling and dealing and I can't stand the snooty attitude the Federation has about it.
    I'm an Ezri girl.

This perfectly explains my feelings..

[​IMG]

12. R. Star

Jadzia... wasn't terrible, but really wasn't very interesting. Sure she's beautiful though, but her character had no... consistency. One episode she's the aloof smart person, the next she's drinking with Quark playing cards, the next she's killing people with Klingons. I mean... I get she's had seven different lifetimes and that would be pulling her in multiple directions... except she throws it in the audience's face quite often how she's Jadzia and not Curzon or the past Dax's and every joined Trill is supposed to define themselves from the rest.... we never really see that with Jadzia.

13. teacake

I've grown to appreciate Jadzia over rewatches but I really really really loved Ezri.

14. R. Star

My main annoyance with Ezri wasn't the character... but just the fact that just about every other episode in season 7 had to be about her as if compensate for her not being there. Even more annoying than that one holodeck episode in season 7! :p

15. teacake

I agree it's a bit lumpy in execution. But what a gamble it was replacing Jadzia with a new person. I'm amazed at how well it worked out. I love it when she shows up at Sisko's dad's restaurant to introduce herself.

16. Ryva Brall

You can mark me down as a Garak fangirl. :p He's charming and enigmatic, and I'm a sucker for both of those things. Plus, why is it that almost every actor is better-looking as a Cardassian?
    I agree with this. All of it.

Plus, there's this scene:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9s_-MeClUA
    Gotta love that casual insult. He's definitely got lobes. :lol:

17. teacake

Oh and you know what? I really don't think everyone is hot. I don't think Archer or Picard are hot at all and Sisko is only hot to me in theory, I've never once looked at him and thought he was yummy while watching DS9. Kirk and Janeway are the only Trek leads I've swooned over.

Yes I'm sure everyone is fascinated by this on topic blather :lol:

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Quark single handedly turned the Ferengi from something cartoonish into something compelling.

Though I find Quark's attitude about Federation just as hypocritical as the Federation's attitude about the Ferengi.

He says that Ferengi have never had anything as barbaric as slavery in their past but 50% of the Ferengi population are born slaves, and there's no way Ferengi haven't been actively involved in foreign slave trades, and we know many of them are actively involved in arms dealing. He tries to convince Sisko that the Ferengi are less barbaric than humans because they only assist in barbarism.

19. teacake

He's surrounded by Federation superiority and piety. Every single day he's dealing with it on DS9. So he's done a little digging into the hewmon history, found some shitty stuff that technically doesn't exist in Ferengi history and now he's got some ammunition.

20. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Of course there will probably be no consenus on this, however, intially I think Quark got the most flak followed by Bashir. I think Jadzia-Dax got a little heat as well.

Personally, I enjoyed Quark and didn't really come to loathe the Dr. Bashir character until the episode "Statistical Probabilities."

In terms of irritation, for some reason, O'Brien - perhaps, at the time, I felt they were giving him too much of the focus.