sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Revolution sounds like someone in Hollywood read S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire books. Which for many years has been one of the premises I thought would make for a great TV show.

I hope they don't mess it up. But I can't see a network truly embracing the darkness and bleakness that such a premise has to entail. 80-90% of the population in the developed world starving within a month or two? On NBC?

And I hope they don't wuss out and make it a post-apocalyptic show. Or skip over it, I'm looking at you Walking Dead. A big part of the premise of Dies the Fire is that the world radically changes in a single moment and you're back to the medieval level of technology with no way to ever regain high technology. Seeing how people cope with it from day one, is much more interesting than picking up the story a year or two after the event when everybody is already a badass Mad Max type.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Not to mention chemical reactions, since our cells would cease to function. And then there's gravity. And the strong force and the weak force....

3. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd wager they're just going to do electricity. I can't see the show functioning without fire either. Would a network really show people eating raw meat?

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And Fire to heat, cook, and sterilize

ETA: Damn, Ninja'ed by AviTrek

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to mention matter itself, since E = m * c^2.

6. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks like EW has a better description.

So it's just electricity or maybe more vaguely modern technology. I wonder if they will remember to kill all cheap non-mechanical watches.

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

IT could easily be a post_EMP setting. I read somewhere 3 5000 kiloton nukes could blanket the US if detonated at 50,000 ft. Any car pre-1972(?) would be dead in the water-anything w/electronic ignition. And printed circuits? Fuggitaboutit.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No phones, no lights, no motorcars!
    Not a single luxury!
    Like Robinson Ca-rusoe,
    It's primitive as can be!

They'll be lost without the Professor...

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks, that's much clearer. :bolian: Since this is going to be Jericho 2.0, maybe they should hire Skeet Ulrich for the lead. ;)

10. Temis the Vorta

Here's the full ongoing list of network pilots.

Lots and lots of comedies that all sound the same to me. But that seems to happen every year, so I just ignore broadcast comedies at this point.

Other than the genre stuff, there are only a few that sound interesting.

The Frontier (NBC) - This premise seems ready-made to be one wagon train per season, with a new cast each year. Usually that's dangerous since audiences get attached to characters, but in this case, the risk might be worth it, to battle the monotony of being stuck with the same grungy wagon train for years.

Bad Girls (NBC) - A women-in-prison show would be much more fun on FX of course, but let's see what broadcast can do.

Kevin Bacon vs The Serial Killer Cult (FOX) - They should feel free to use that title, I won't sue. :D

All the networks look like they know the audience they're programming for - especially CBS, with a lineup that sounds exactly like what they're already airing - except for NBC, still flailing around to find an audience. With their heavy adventure and genre pickups, they seem to be hoping against hope to attract the young male demographic that has vanished from broadcast TV moreso than any other group.

EDIT: Andre Braugher is cast in the lead for The Last Resort.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/andre-braugher-to-star-in-shawn-ryans-abc-drama-pilot-last-resort/

Awesome...one of my favorite actors. :techman::techman:

12. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Wow, I thought that fell through years ago. They talked about it back when ITV were still on something like series 4, which is about 8 years ago now.

13. Temis the Vorta

The Prison Break producers were talking about some kind of women-in-prison spinioff series a few years ago, but it never went anywhere. Given the amount of attention the topic is sure to generate, I'm astonished that there aren't women-in-prison pilots every season. :rommie:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It had the tentative title of Prison Break: Cherry Hill. Very evocative! :lol:

15. Temis the Vorta

Subtle! Yeah I liked that. :rommie:

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I was disapointed they never made that. I was really hoping they'd bring Jodi Lynn O'Keefe's Gretchen Morgan over as the lead or at least a supporting character.

17. Temis the Vorta

THR's pilot list, which I like better than EW's, easier to read and they will fill in casting as it comes in.

The erstwhile Antichrist has lost its name and now is just "untitled." Too spoilery? :D And the logline is more specific about the show's dramatic focus - Reaper for grownups?
    Hottest actors for pilot season.

Someone get Josh Holloway and Zachary Levi a job! :D (Hopefully the latter won't be stuck on a comedy because none of them sound as interesting as Chuck - well, maybe the ones about the aliens in the apartment complex...)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  18. Enterprise is Great

http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/daisy-betts-last-resort-abc/

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

20. Enterprise is Great

Good news! ^ I was just about to post it.

more casting for Cult
    zap2it.com