Firefly - Joss Whedon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by rramarr, Mar 24, 2009.

1. rramarr

rramarr Commander Red Shirt

There is not many western type settings in a space exploration science fiction TV series. Why did Joss Whedon's "Firefly" end after only one season? Did anyone else like that show? I can't find a forum for this show. I thought it was a great change up from the neat starfleet concepts. It spawned the "Serenity" movie sequels so what happened to the TV series?

2. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Ask the millions of people who didn't watch.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I don't have any desire to revisit the debates.

I will say my wife and I are big fans of the series and the movie. There are many other Browncoats on this board.

Welcome, and stay shiny.

:techman:

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Oh yeah, much love 'round these parts. Mostly in the SF+F forum. Also, there are a few other webboards for it, like fireflyfans.net.

5. rramarr

Great look out. I will have to go there and check it out.

Is there some animosity here about Firefly? Some of the comments appeared to be sarcastic and unclear. Thanks!

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

No, not as such. Not the show itself for the most part. There are a couple of people who still have issues with the fans, although not for any valid reasons I can figure out. There was a tough spot when the movie first came out, but that's all over and done by now.

7. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you sense any sarcasm it's just because it seems like every week someone new drops in with a thread about how they just found Firefly and how awesome it is. And it can sometimes turn into a can of worms. We're jaded like that ;)

But I and many others genuinely love the show, so if you've got any other thoughts beyond the cancellation and whether or not anyone liked it I'm sure you'd find lots of takers for discussion! :bolian:

8. rramarr

You know I did a search to avoid just that very thing and came up with very obscure info. Maybe if there was a major Thread I could have read some thought already discussed. Did I over look something? I have lot to say about the show (mostly because I'm tired of discussing the same shows already dominating this forum) but I want to have an official Thread to post in - you know those header threads in bold. I want to reach the right people. till then... what's your thoughts on why the show was cancelled :devil:

9. DeafPoet

It's a conspiracy. And it goes all the way to the top! ;)

As to why nothing showed up on search, I have no idea. Maybe it's my imagination. It seems like we get a lot of them.

Anyway, if you've got some thoughts, go nuts. It's your thread, man!

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You're not going to get an official thread. The show is long over and doesn't really warrant something like that anymore. But if you want to go ahead and talk about it, feel free!

The show was mostly canceled because not a lot of people watched it. The episodes were aired out-of-order, and it was occasionally pre-empted by FOX for other shows. For a show with only 13 (?) episodes, that's like a death sentence.

However, it sold remarkably well on DVD and had enough fan support that the movie "Serenity" was able to be made.

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ What RoJoHen said. Remember, FOX is famous for interfering with great programming. It's like they don't comprehend that there is something smartly written and enjoyable at the same time, so they fumble the ball. Firefly was a great show. I have the DVDs, the comics, the movie, and I'm hoping to get a poster or two. It's part of a very small collection of sci-fi outside of Star Trek that I truly enjoy.

I'm a browncoat, and proud of it. I wish the show could come back, or at least another movie, but it's not going to happen. So talk it up here and give us your thoughts. :D

J.

12. rramarr

I'm too afraid now. I think if it wasn't too late I would call my mommy and ask her:

Since so many shows were cancelled in the mid 90s Enterprise, Andromeda, and Firefly and no new shows were green-lighted, do you think that the new generation is just not into space exploration?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  13. Amaris

Well, Enterprise was cancelled in the mid 2000's, but yeah, I think this generation's not much on sci-fi, well, intelligently written sci-fi anyway. However, the new Star Trek movie may help swing that around, if it's done right. I think it's time people started enjoying real, well done science fiction again.

J.

14. DeafPoet

It may be a generalization to say that they're not into space exploration, but they seem to be less interested in seeing it in their fiction. Oddly, I'd wager that sci-fi as a whole is stronger than it was back in Trek's hey-day. Many of the top shows on TV (the horrible anomaly of American Idol aside) have a sci-fi bent.

Here's hoping Trek XI can reverse that trend of shying away from space shows. Sadly, it won't have happened nearly soon enough to save Firefly.

15. rramarr

Actually those (Enterprise and Andromeda) were much later cancellations but Babylon 5 and DS9 were cancaelled. Andromeda and Enterprise just didn't make it very long either. The only bright side was Farscape.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

B5 and DS9 weren't really canceled. B5 thought it was canceled and then got an extra season. DS9 got a full 7 seasons and got to finish on its own terms.

Farscape, however, was definitely canceled.

17. rramarr

Man you guys are quick draw McCalls LOL

Its just odd to cancel something in the middle of the season and not greenlight all the shows then pull the plug for next season.

Do you think westernizing the space concept was a benefit or part of the demise?

18. Amaris

I think it was brilliant. I'm not a westerns fan, but there's something very attractive about Whedon's approach with Firefly. I love it, and would have happily watched it much longer than it's single season.

J.

19. rramarr

Serenity was a firefly-class space vessel. Was that apparent while watching the show. It was not till much later when I realized the ship was not called firefly.

Do you think there is some lost episodes? I can't believe they stopped at 14 (I think).

20. DeafPoet

14 is it. "Trash", "Heart of Gold" and I wanna say "The Message" might have been the last one were the "lost" episodes but they've long since seen the light of day on DVD. So if you've seen all those plus Serenity, that's pretty much it excepting the comics.