What Are Little Girls Made Of question

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by mach7, Sep 25, 2013.

1. mach7

mach7 Commander Red Shirt

Anyone ever notice that Kirk is carrying an Anabolic Protoplaser in the opening scene?

[​IMG]

Seems kind of odd. I know it was one of the early episodes, but I can't imagine why they gave it to him to "play" with on the bridge.

2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

The first time we saw the "Phynburg Oscilating Framizam" (in "Charlie X"), it was used as an engineering tool in the Jefferies Tube. Kirk tinkered with it in "What Are Little Girls..." (as an engineering tool again). The third time they used it (in "Space Seed"), it became a surgical instrument. So it's actually its repurposing as a medical tool that was kind of odd.

More info here:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=2660095&postcount=174

3. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Having Nurse Chapel standing right there besides Kirk offers a way out.

Chapel, McCoy, someone down in Medical just devised some new improvement to the protoplaser, maybe a breakthrough development. They detailed it in a report or log entry to the captain. Kirk took an interest in the ingenuities of his crew.

Kirk calls Chapel up to the bridge as they approach Exo III and start hailing Dr. Korby. Kirk also requests that Chapel bring along that new protoplaser model they developed this week, he'd like to take a look.

Does that work?

4. mach7

Hey I like it! Good job.

Any others?

5. mach7

Good point Greg.

Any Idea when the publicity photo oh McCoy with his instruments was shot?
    It shows it there with his other equipment. I always figured it was photographed
    around "The Corbomite Maneuver" though I don't know why.

6. GSchnitzer

Well, Kirk wasn't just sitting in his chair noodling with the device. He's using it helping a technician working on a console and brings it with him over to his chair.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure when the publicity shot was taken. Third Season of course (based on the cut and seams on McCoy's tunic. Looks to be during "The Tholian Web" based on Majel's wig and the way it is styled. I think those "Photo Club" pictures came with a blurb about where the pictures come from. If we could get that blurb, we might know for sure. (That picture was one of a bunch of shots taken with Majel and/or De Kelley standing in front of the Sick Bay readout with the instruments.)

7. mach7

Ahh, so I was only off by 2 years! :-)

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't that also what Kirk used to break the glass on Khan's suspended animation chamber?

:)

9. GSchnitzer

No, he used the flashlight that Scotty brought along.

[​IMG]

(You can see it lying on the transporter console just before the boarding party transports over to the Botany Bay.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  10. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

I propose this solution...

KIRK: "Bones, I need you heal this cold sore now! I understand Corby's got some hot androids with him down there, and I don't want any of them really 'turned off!'"

McCOY: (Rolling eyes) "Oooooooooookay, I'll send Chapel up to the bridge with the cold sore Plaser... but you have to promise that you'll let her fix it!"

KIRK: "But of course I will, Bones." (clicks off intercom than starts snickering as Chapel enters the bridge) "You just stand there, Miss Chapel. No one is touching my hunky mug with that plaser!"

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^SchwEnt's sounds better.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Sorry to go off topic here but I just noticed that McGivers has a phaser. Are there other episodes in TOS where a woman has a phaser? If I hadn't seen the picture here I would have said I've never seen a woman in TOS armed. I've seen the episode plenty of times though.

13. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's one: Celeste Yarnall in "The Apple"

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x05hd/theapplehd0012.jpg

14. GSchnitzer

Women with phasers:

1. Number One in "The Cage"
    2. Yeoman Colt in "The Cage" (well, these two were lasers, not phasers)
    3. Yeoman Mears in "The Galileo Seven"
    4. Lieutenant Marla McGivers in "Space Seed"
    5. Yeoman Martha Landon in "The Apple"
    6. Lieutenant Uhura in "The Gamesters of Triskelion"

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Maybe a couple of others, not Enterprise landing party personnel, but:

7. Nona steals Kirk's phaser in A Private Little War.
    8. Andrea's packing in What Are Little Girls Made Of? (though she's an android, and not really a woman).

16. GSchnitzer

9. Yeoman Tamura guarded Mea 5 with a sonic disruptor pistol in "Taste of Armageddon."

10. Lieutenant Uhura was able to wrest the phaser away from (the Evil) Lieutenant Marlena Moreau and keep her covered.

17. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Lenore Karidian when she killed her father, demonstrating why women shouldn't have phasers. :p

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Lenore Karidian should be #11.

12. Dr. Helen Noel picked up a type 2 phaser from one of the Tantalus V guards.

19. GSchnitzer

12. Well, then, for that matter, we need to count Kara, the eyemorg, who brandished a phaser after learning how to use it via The Great Teacher in "Spock's Brain."

20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Wow thanks. I've watched all of TOS many times and never noticed Starfleet crew women issued with phasers excepting for Number One/Colt in 'The Cage' and of course in TAS they actually had women security officers. I'm obviously very perceptive. :lol:

I did remember Lenore and Kara and maybe I'm imagining Sylvia in "Catspaw". I know 'evil' alien women were to be trusted with weapons, I'm just happy that TOS crew-women were too. I should never have doubted.