If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by trek_futurist, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trek_futurist

trek_futurist Lieutenant Commander

How? You can't just say that without back it up.

And Shinzon is a villain who wants to destroy Earth for no good reason and is about as competent as Dr. Evil. I'm not saying Nero is the best Star trek villain ever, he isn't, but he is better Shinzon, who I would rank really low.

It doesn't work like that, they were thrown back at a random point in time, this tech isn't a time machine that controls where you go.

And if you want point out plot holes, you haven't addressed any of the ones I brought up with Shinzon.

No you haven't.[/QUOTE]

But spock prime can use his time ship for the same purpose! Thus, I say to you, this is a useless plot device. And an insult to the intelligence of anybody who can count to 10.

EDIT: Please learn to properly use the quoting system instead of creating these incoherent strings. All I am doing is quoting, did no editing at all to this except adding this comment. Did not edit the quote tags at all.

2. trek_futurist

Not sure what happened to the quoting system there, but it was a random anomaly.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No, he doesn't. He has a ship that is really fast and carries Red Matter.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because the time travel in the movie was accidental and uncontolled. Because, as the film depicted clearly, the black holes are extremely dangerous and unstable.

Again, you're showing how little you understood the movie.

Also: How dare they not explain Red Matter! They detail for us how it works, just like Trek did with dilithi... oh. And how phas.... um. And Thaler....oops.

5. F. King Daniel

This. Nowhere is the ship referred to or even implied to be a time ship. It's fast and carries the red matter Spock used to create a black hole to absorb the exploing star.

Clueless troll is clueless.

6. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure you misused the quoting system, not me. My quotes were fine, your's were not.

And you still haven't addressed my complaints about Shinzon or Nemesis as a whole.

7. trek_futurist

It makes no sense at all that they can travel back and forth in time using all kinds of techniques (slingshot effect for example) but spock prime would not take this option to effect the time line in nero and spock primes future, thus arbitrarily creating a series of useless plot devices!

How the hell can red matter cause planets to explode at the same time as creating a black hole that is really a time portal? Makes no sense at all. There is zero attempt at explanation of this.

8. F. King Daniel

Vulcan was crushed and sucked into the black hole. It didn't "blow up". Shielded starships fared better. Not difficult to comprehend.

As for time travel, that can be applied to EVERY SINGLE episode and movie in Trek. Even Nemesis - why didn't they go back and undo that? What about Voyager - why wasn't the timeline repaired after the events of "Timeless" and "Endgame"?

9. Nerys Myk

Then this is true of every single episode and movie of Trek: solve the problem by time travel. Why didn't Picard use time travel to stop Shinzon? Why didn't Kirk use time travel to stop Khan?

The Red matter creates black holes not explosions. Black holes ( more specifically wormholes) have been theorized as being able to create "time portals" and gateways to other Universes. Its also a common SF trope.

10. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Fixed it for ya'...

Opinion

Revisionist history by the Great Bird himself. Go back to TOS and you will see that is not true.

This isn't even a criticism. It's a rant at best, and flamebaiting at worst. Next!

Opinion. And again, it is influenced by Roddenbery's revisionist history of what TOS and Trek was.

And again, a rant - not a criticism. And more flame-baiting.

Good. I'm glad you enjoyed NEM. Truly.

I did not.

Your opinion.

11. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Was Sisko being the modernized, civilized and evolved piece of humanity you espouse them to be in "In the Pale Moonlight"? Was Janeway in "Equinox"?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

As for the characters behaving "out of character," I think we're forgetting that these people are younger than we ever saw them in the show. When we first met Kirk, he was already in command of the Enterprise. Here, we're meeting him as a teenager. We're also meeting him in an alternate timeline, a timeline where he didn't have his father around to influence his development. OF COURSE he's going to act like a different person.

I would also argue that Star Trek has never been about "exploring new worlds." It's about using the sci-fi setting to explore the human condition, and I think ST09 did a great job of that! We got to explore Kirk's development from a drunken farmboy to a cadet at the Academy to someone who was put in a very difficult situation and had to take command of a starship. We got to explore it through Spock, from his relationship to his father, to the death of his mother and the destruction of his world. Spock and Sarek, in the prime universe, had a very uneasy relationship. I very much hope that, in this new timeline, we get to explore their relationship from a different angle, now that Amanda is gone.

Yes, there was a lot of silly action, and Nero's motivations may not have made perfect sense, but to say that the movie lacked the spirit of Star Trek is, quite frankly, wrong.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Since Star Trek 2009 takes place seven to ten years prior to Star Trek: The Original Series this would stand to reason. Are you the same person you were seven to ten years ago? Would you even be remotely the same person if someone had brutally murdered one of your parents?

What made Star Trek popular was the uncanny chemistry between Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley and to a lesser extent Stewart and Spiner. What makes the reboot tolerable is that Pine, Quinto and Urban seem to have some chemistry working together. Everything else is simply window dressing... tasty window dressing but window dressing nonetheless.

14. Nerys Myk

TOS was an action adventure show that occasionally gave us a "feel good" message by the final act. A message usually proceeded by fisticuffs and gunfire. If they could have afforded explosions every week, we would have them too.

15. trek_futurist

In order to create a space/time portal, like the one witnessed in DS9, that we know as a 'wormhole' you have to have two points of the curvature of space/time meeting and effectively lessening the distance between two points. But in DS9, with the bajoran wormhole, it was space you were traversing, not time. But the same parameters apply. Both are based in relativity, and have potential for logical scientific explanation even in a fictional universe based on scientific principles. This red matter/black hole/time portal non-sense does not!

16. trek_futurist

Every single episode of TOS had a philosophical or scientific message of some kind. Stop trying to revise history please.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The philosophical and scientific messages have been highly overinterpreted. Star Trek is a campy children's show from the 60s. But the children are grown ups now and still like it, so they try to find deep substance in the show where none is.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Nitpicking time travel in Star Trek is one of the most ridiculous things a person could do. Even the characters have admitted they have no idea how it works!

19. trek_futurist

So that justifies starfleet cadets acting like complete imbeciles with knee jerk reactions to everything?

A different person, meaning a complete imbecile? If TOS taught us anything, it's that people with alcohol problems would have gotten help long before they would be able to go on this series of mis-steps. Yes, there was the bar fight in trouble with tribbles, but it did not alter the central characters, or their moral approach to other humans and other species.

When? Where?
    Kirk is the exact same person at the end of this film as he was in the beginning. An obnoxious, arrogant idiot. How he orders the destruction of nero's ship despite the fact that it was a sitting duck is ample evidence of that. This arrogant idiot does not deserve command of a starship! He is not kirk, he is an imposter.

20. Nerys Myk

Pretty sure he was called "Kirk" in the script.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.