My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Infinite regress

I liked this episode. Naomi is a cute addition to the crew, I hope they continue to use her. I always like episodes where the actress/actor get to leave their normal persona behind and act in many different ways. This episode kind of reminds me of data when he had his emotion chip.

Seven had the Borg equivalent of multiple personality disorder. She kept hearing voices from individuals who were taken by the Borg. It is interesting that she now cannot stand multiple voices in her head now, this just goes to show that she is embracing her humanity.

Tuvok mind melds with her to aid her back to sanity, but it was B'Ellanas work on the alien technology that really helped her. Seven had the personality of a mother looking for her child, a ferengi I (which was my favorite personality), a Klingon, a child... The scene with Janeway where she turned into the ferengi was great. I laughed so hard! I do enjoy episodes where the actress/tor get to be a different character. It was doubly nice that they were able to tie it in to the plot and make it relevant to seven's character development.

It was an interesting way to damage the Borg. I wonder if that will ever come in handy?

Favorite part: that seven went to visit Naomi, and that Naomi is over her fear of seven. It is a good omen.

Least favorite part: I did not care for the mind meld scene. It seemed somewhat pointless. Tuvok really did not aid her, rather B'Elaana stopped the disturbing technology.

2. Qutluch

Thirty days

Interesting, I was sure that this was going to be one of those episodes where it appears to start one way, but everything is better in the end. Nope! Not this time.

Voyager finds an ocean planet and aides them in going far under water to get data on want is going wrong with their ocean. The scientist is really afraid that their mining operation is damaging the realm and will eventually lead to its destruction. The data supported this. The voyager crew makes recomendations to ambassador-like guy, but it is apparent that they will ignore the problem. Paris has taken a personal interest in this since it reminds him of his childhood and wish to join the navy, which was crushed by his father. Paris ends up stealing a shuttle and going with the scientist to destroy the mining operations. Janeway was forced to shot at him to make him stop. He was stripped of rank and given 30 days in the brig.

First, I like how the story is retold through his account in a letter to his father. Second, before he started push ups that was my comment to my husband, I found that funny. Third, I loved sevens comment when they were in the shuttle. She said something like she often abides to the collective.

This was a good episode. I am interested to see how Paris' reactions to the crew will be. Basically, he only outranks Naomi at this point. I kind of hope there is a nice sexual joke between him and B'Ellana over this. Oh, and I enjoyed seeing the dellaney sisters!

Favorite part: this was a very serious episode, but not horribly fake or overly dramatic. I look forward to the effects of this episode.

Least favorite part: I am not sure...what do you guys think?

3. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Love that scene!

Also loved the scene where they were going over Seven's logs. Jeri created 3 distinct characters using only her voice. If there were any questions left regarding her ability to act, this answered them.

I think Tuvok's part was simply to get her to hang on until they could disable the viniculum. Similar to what he did with Kes in "The Gift."

4. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, my big beef with this episode was that it was solved by technobabble rather than Seven making a profound inner breakthrough.

The funny thing about "Thirty Days" for me was when he started writing the letter to his dad and went through the different ways of addressing it. Right before he said, "Dear Dad," I yelled it out, which made my wife chuckle.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Care to guess on who gets promoted first? Kim or Paris? ;)

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're naughty.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if Kim became Tactical officer in the AJ Timeline?

8. Qutluch

I hope Paris! If for no other reason than to humiliate Kim. It always makes me laugh that he got the girl first too!

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:eek:

You're like that girl that made trekkies suffer in high school!

10. Qutluch

Latent image

Another profound episode. A serious episode that did not end with a happy-go-lucky scene. I liked this one.

The doctor is doing physicals for the whole crew when he finds that Kim had a surgery conducted by him. However, the Doc does not remember the surgery. He tries to figure out what is going on, but the Captain dismisses him. He goes back to the sick bay to turn his program off, and sets his "camera" out to take a picture of anyone who enters sickbay. Sneaky, sneaky.

Janeway went in and erased his short term memory. The doctor wants an answer, but Janeway is hesitant to give him one. Only after a conversation with Janeway about the morality if the individual does Janeway decide to tell him. Turns out while on an away mission they were attacked and Kim and another woman were injured, but the doctor only had a moment to save one, not time for both. He chose Kim, and later had a breakdown for choosing his friend. Once he found out what happened he broke down again, but rather than erasing his memories (thanks to Seven) Janeway has someone, usually herself stay with the Doctor non stop on vigil while he works through it.

Problems/least favorite part: one, it is highly unlikely that the woman and Kim were in the exact same shape. As an EMH he should have been able to detect even a slight variance (bllod pressure, pulse, who lost more blood...) in their conditions, making the whole episode null and void.....ignoring this plot flaw.....large flaw....I liked the episode.

Favorite part: I love the Doctor. Picardo is a wonderful actor!

11. Qutluch

Bride of chaotica

Awesome, horrible....this episode was all of both. Cheesy, black and white scenes, blood curdling screams, suspense, machoism, horrible 1930's plot lines, you name it...a standard holo deck scene, but with Janeway in a badass (rather than Victorian) dress! All in all, I loved it! ( I am not sure if this is a bad or good thing)....

Paris' holo deck episode gets disturbed by an aliens presence who think his version of Captain Proton and Chaotica is the real part of Voyager, not Voyager itself. To,keep peace with the aliens they have to act out the episode, but with Queen Arachnia crossing Chaotica to save the aliens. The Doctor goes in as the President of Earth (with all the pompousness and more) to convince the aliens to stop firing so Captain Proton could save the day! Janeway goes iN as Queen Arachnia and there Mulgrew puts on the best performance I have seen! Her facial gestures, particularly with her eyes and eyebrow twitches had me laughing in stitches ( yes, I rhymed on purpose, I felt it went appropriately well with the cheesy episode). In the end, Queen Arachnia stops her fake wedding and kills Chaotica....supposedly....the TV recap ends with a question mark.

I loved ever cheesy bit of this episode! The Doctor, albeit his brief appearance and Janeway stole the show with their wonderfully hysterical performances.

Least favorite part: this episode made me stop and ponder...do I want to go to the next Vegas convention as a Klingon (as planned)...or queen arachnia? Tough decisions... I suppose my hair is more Klingon appropriate, but I love the costume! My husband does not know it yet, but he will be going as Captain Proton!

12. Qutluch

Seriously though, does anyone know a good place to find a queen Arachnia costume, or would that be a make it yourself one?

13. R. Star

You know... the whole Chaotica/Captain Proton subplot was always a guilty pleasure of mine. It just.... embraces the cheeziness so much that it's amusing to me. And don't tell me Janeway didn't get off on playing a megalomaniac villain. ;)

14. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

What I like about Captain Proton is that it's the present's conception of the future's conception of the past's conception of the future.

15. Qutluch

Well said. I was trying to figure out how to word that and gave up. It is an interesting point!

16. Qutluch

I am sure she loved it! I want to re/watch this tomorrow just to see her eyebrow twitches.

17. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Bride of Chaotica is a good guilty pleasure episode. :lol: I like to rewatch it from time to time.

And yeah I think Kate Mulgrew probably enjoyed the fact that she would be getting a change of pace character-wise and finally a different costume to wear. It would have been cool if she kept in character after the fact and went out onto the bridge in that costume... :biggrin:

18. Qutluch

Dark frontier

First, we see that Sevens earth parents went to study the Borg with Starfleets approval...I did not think that Starfleet knew about the Borg yet....

Nonetheless, I still do not like this episode. When did Janeway start to revel in stealing? Even with the excuse that she is tired of being attacked first. The vessel they attacked was heavily damaged and moving slowly as it regenerated. It did not pose a threat. The real allure was to steal a warp coil. When did plundering become acceptable?

Another complaint, Seven suggested the technology that her parents used in order to break in to the Borg. Seven would have known that the Borg had already assimilated that technology, making it irrelevant to Voyager's heist. I do not think it is suppose to look like Seven overlooked this, I think it is a plot flaw.

The only real part that I liked was when Seven confessed that she was attached to the crew, and considered them her new collective. I did appreciate it that this was a double episode. It seemed more like a movie than anything.

At the end, Janeway takes Seven back (with Sevens assistance). When they make it back to the ship, Voyager fires into the conduit and the Borg vessel was blown up. Why didn't Voyager go through the wreckage this time to find useful stuff?

I would have liked this whole episode a lot more had it not been instigated by Voyager trying to steal technology. If she was going to disregard her honor to get Voyager home quicker she should have taken Qs offer, which was better.

19. R. Star

I was originally thinking that maybe Seven was gonna be one of those people scooped up from those colonies in The Neutral Zone when we first met her. The ages would be... close anyways. Or maybe just a deep space ship that was randomly scooped up somehow. But yeah, her parents having heard of the Borg when Picard and Data had no clue of their existence is a little silly.

It's a good character piece on Seven, but yes... Janeway's cavalier attitude towards piracy is more than hypocritical when you go back to season 2 when she's haughtily declaring that sharing technology is morally wrong and she'll destroy Voyager rather than trade a minor peace of technology for safe passage. They could've come up with a better excuse to get Seven on a Borg Cube than that.

Though the ending is... beyond silly that they can charge into the heart of Borg territory and somehow strongarm Seven out.

20. Mayack419

Mayack419 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You're getting close to Equinox. You're gonna like those. :evil: