BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, actually, those are the colors in the Google logo, but ... that does look a bit like something out of TOS!

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Obviously the logo colors were inspired by TOS, too. ;)

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Different pipe contents require corresponding colors, it's as easy as that. Check out the official pipe-marking-color-chart. ;)

Bob

4. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Oh, nice find!

What's the color for antimatter? ;)

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ It would be the inverse color of whatever you have assigned for deuterium. ;)

6. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well played, sir! Well played!

Sincerely,

Bill

7. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL I am so using that :D

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it was a while ago so I wondered if that was the case! Then I remembered that (way back at the time) I had been extrapolating what the length of the ship would be if the MJ cutaway were expanded to fit the shuttlebay shown in TMOST (which has a convenient scale ruler). The picture I got was:

[​IMG]

As you can see I had some problems reconciling the different shapes and ended up matching the rear wall and the bulkhead above the doors (since they seemed to be the most common features). The ship length of 1177' was an interesting surprise, and once I remembered the picture this morning it also enabled me to track down your earlier post. The ones that deal with this issue are #306 and #309 but in brief; you had enlarged the Enterprise to fit the width of the shuttlebay model and ended up with a ship length of 1143'. It's similar but obviously a bit longer than the 1084' you are using now, which is why I wondered if perhaps more accurate data had come to light, allowing you to tighten the overall design?

Speaking of more accurate data, with all the information gathered over in the shuttlebay thread, I can have another go at my 2011 scaling gag!

This time I shall be using the actual shuttlebay miniature, since the TMOST sketch has now been disproved.
    If the MJ cutaway represents a 947' ship with a 89' Hangar Deck, then it would need to be 1319' to fit the 124' scale model.

Of course, all that is based on a 22' shuttle. If we were to use an exterior which properly matched the interior set then the shuttlecraft would need to be around 30' long. Expanding everything up to match would yield a Hangar Deck of of 169' and the Enterprise herself a whopping 1800' in length!

Hmmm, maybe JJ Abrams wasn't too far off after all? :devil:

9. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Assuming that bridge personnel appears larger when watched through a bridge dome, that is. :p

But indeed, if you take the actual measurements of the shuttlebay VFX miniature and combine it with Jefferies cross-section and his pressurized compartments schematic you'll end up with a much bigger ship.

Bob

10. blssdwlf

@Mytran - Ah that's right. The flight deck version before the current version was modeled longer with a different taper to accommodate the TCOTK room (with parallel walls instead of as filmed). The current shorter version of the flight deck I think is a bit more screen accurate.

But you are correct that the current version is using a ~22 foot shuttle so if I ever scaled the shuttle up then everything goes up up up in size :)

I am a bit torn about the shuttle being a reference point. We've seen people outside of it and inside and I'm leaning to let the outside reference have more weight and fudge the shuttlecraft interior...

11. Mytran

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Your 3D matches to the episodes are the best guide out there, and I follow any changes keenly.

As for the matter with the shuttle? Well, these plans are being put together based on the interior of the Enterprise as seen on screen, not the interior of the shuttlecraft. And the interior of the Enterprise clearly shows a 22' shuttle parked in it's hangar, regardless of what other scenes take place in the apparent "shuttle interior".

To be honest it's a shame - the full size shuttle of 30' (as detailed on Cygnus and also at Cloudster) makes a lot more sense as a deep space auxillary vehicle and would easily be my transport of choice in such situations as the one in "Metamorphosis", for instance.

The trouble comes in that the interior has virtually nothing in common with the exterior, or even the glimpses of the 22' mockup's interior that we see. Just off the top of my head:

1) The height
    2) The width
    3) The length
    4) The interior has a two-tone colour scheme
    5) Different entry hatches (exterior doors retract, interior has pocket doors)

The weirdest thing is that both use the same low-level seats! And I won't even start on the inconvenient height of the viewports, Warped9 has addressed that well in his 26' "best of both worlds" shuttle.

So, how to rationalise the discrepensies? 12 years ago I just stuck my tongue in my cheek and said that the gravity generator had been cranked up too high, relativistically compressing the occupants of the craft.
    These days, it looks more like the crew were asked to re-enact certain scenes for use in the "historical records" but unfortunately, the other (smaller) model of shuttlecraft was out on patrol, so they had to use the larger one. ;)

YMMV

12. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i want to see some one here to do a full out line of the star ship of the ncc1701 with the measurment in feet and inch of this star ship. this way i can see what it will look like, so i can see what my model will look like at 55' long, plus.

13. blssdwlf

@Mytran - thanks and yeah, the shuttlecraft interior will have to fit with what is shown by the exterior size as that is how I'm modeling it.

@kennysmith - I don't think I can help you with your request as it is outside the scope of this project.

14. Mytran

Kennysmith - as you will have no doubt gathered from this and other projects, there is no "true" length of the Enterprise.
    The official reported length is 947' but Shaw discovered that the way the model was assembled meant that it was more like 938'.
    Robert_Comsol is working on a vessel of 1080' long, which is a 1/96 scale up from Matt Jefferies' original plans.
    Cary L Brown expanded the ship till the dome matched up with the bridge more realistically, leading to an overall length of 1067'

Blssdwlf (as seen above) has matched the ship to the shuttlebay miniature and come up with 1084', but that requires the hangar deck to protrude UNDER the pylon support structure which may not please everyone. Hence; in my own post I have postulated a ship length of 1319' (or even 1800' if you want a full size shuttlecraft!

Finally, the "watermark" numbers on the side of the secondary hull point to a ship that is no great than 540' overall.

So, the real question Kennysmith is - how big is YOUR Enterprise? When you have decided, then both Casimiro and Sinclair have done pretty accurate drafts which you can print off with ease.

15. kennysmith

i want some one to draw out the out line for me and send it to me for my model i am geting ready to do by nov-2013, i am geting ready to do this by each deck as some people know and look like, but i will be changeing it so any one can do it any where. it is 55' long x 25' wide x 25' tall?.

16. Mytran

Sounds like a fun project - follows the links to Casimiro or Sinclair as both have multiple views which sound like exactly what you need. They are high resolution and can easily be scaled up for your needs.

17. blssdwlf

@Mytran - Thanks!

@kennysmith - I'd encourage you to start your own thread about your project. I'm sure there will be folks interested in what you're planning to do.

18. kennysmith

what will this do for me if i do that or this?, what area should i go to?, and will you help me in this subject?.

19. blssdwlf

@Kennysmith - Create a New Thread in this subform, "Fan Art". Title it to what you're trying to do or the project name and in the first post explain what you're trying to get at. As Mytran has given you links to those resources, you can download the high resolution drawings and use those as your starting points. If you need graphic software, there are several good free or low cost resources such as Adobe Photoshop via Creative Cloud subscription, GIMP, etc. That's about all I can add about it in this thread but look forward to seeing your own thread.

20. trekkist

trekkist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A thought in re: the low shuttle seats -- since some shots through the doorway of the exterior prop showed the seats, setting them low would provide a visual "sell" of the interior's being high enough to stand up in (even though it wasn't). On the same basis, it's my belief we can disregard Kirk's "24 foot" reference, which (though oddly enough greater than the exterior's actual length) wouldn't set a viewer to saying (of the exterior prop) "Hey! That thing's not 30 feet long!"