Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Christopher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Well a Shoney's Big Boy-like doll would not have done the trick, I don't think... :p

Ratings are slumping, looks like both it and Almost Human are iffy for a pick-up.

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Sleepy Hollow has already been renewed for a second season.

Fox announced it back on October 3rd.

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I think I knew that, but if ratings don't hold, that decision can be reversed; it isn't automatic.

I'd like to see both shows renewed, even though the juvenile sexual asides on Almost Human make me cringe sometimes.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've found Almost Human an almost complete failure. The science fiction is cliched and cursory, the character writing is weak, the female characters are poorly handled, and it's basically just a pastiche of really violent '80s cop movies, which are not a genre I follow. By contrast, Sleepy Hollow may have a ridiculous premise, but it really commits to it and fleshes it out imaginatively, and it does great work with its characters. If AH is doing poorly in the ratings, I'm neither surprised nor disappointed, but I hope having it as a lead-in doesn't hurt Sleepy Hollow.

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Agreed - SH IMO is extremely well written and the characters are top-shelf. I would be very disappointed if this show ends before its time. Although I do think that 7 years may be a bit ambitious. I hope they have a good roadmap.

6. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one who thought that Ichabod's son, though buried, was placed in some sort of magical suspended animation and could have been revived in the future?

:confused:

Okay, so maybe I am the only one.

;)

7. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

No, that was directly implied by the show.

8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The four didn't say they killed him, they said they stopped his heart. They didn't intend to put him to sleep, given their treatment of his mother over her preserving Ichabod. But given that he is a powerful witch, I think it's likely he can be revived.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

So he is still alive.

10. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Kewl! :bolian:

11. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Normally I hate that stuff, too. But this was providing some background for him and gave some extra info. He’s not one of the witnesses; he can step away from this. His talk with the priest(?) gave info that he’s a man of faith, or was. And the fact that he’s willing to continue with Ichabod/Abby shows his strength of character. His errors in his marriage shows that he’s flawed, but is willing to continue despite his flaws. His apology to his ex shows that he’s realized and accepted responsibility for his mistakes, isn’t blaming her, and actually sounded like a goodbye, in a way.

The scene with the priest also counterposed the scene with the possessed hot chocolate vendor. It also showed that the “evil” is aware of him. And his daughter. You can tell there’s going to be a choice: fight evil or protect daughter.

Unless his daughter takes a prominent role (which I think she will, but hopefully not too much), this was sufficient to round out his background.

I do like him with Abby’s sister; the characters interact well and there’s enough chemistry between them.

I noticed that Ichabod is the only white main character. I like how that was done without making a big show of it. Well, now John Noble is recurring, and the sister is more recurring than main.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't even notice what you pointed out about the racial makeup of the cast. Very cool.

13. Gryffindorian

Yeah, an Equal Opportunity cast. :) Don't forget Katrina, Crane's wife.

14. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops! Did forget her. Though, again, she's closer to recurring than on screen in every episode, right?

Still enjoying the show, though.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Katia Winter (Katrina) is one of the four regulars listed in the main titles, even though she hasn't been in every episode and has tended to play a secondary role. So whether she qualifies as a "main character" is, I suppose, dependent on how you define that term.

16. Gryffindorian

I need to re-watch last night's episode about the body-jumping demon. I was half distracted trying to fix my bedroom door. :mad:

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It was an alright episode, but can somebody call the Winchesters already? They'd have cleaned up the mess in under half an hour.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great episode last night. We got some interesting new info for the Mills sisters, they finally addressed Ichabod's wardrobe, and the stuff the demon was seriously creepy.
    I can't believe next week is the season finale already, I'm seriously going to miss this show.

19. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I like that they're easing Crane into modernity. I get the idea that, because of his intelligence, he could become more modern more quickly but deliberately doesn't because he's holding onto his 18th century persona as long as he can. Hopefully he won't make some kind of massive jump between the seasons.
    On a personal note, I hope they shoot more in New Bern next year. :)

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, uh, Abbie and Ichabod, people can write a date other than today's date. Washington could have written December 18, 1799 in his diary before his death to refer to something that would happen on a future date. The expiration date on your driver's license functions the same way.

For example, I am writing December 18, 2214. This does not mean that I am from the future.