TOS Destroyer Concept

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Jun 12, 2011.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi All,

Getting more discretionary time back to do more lightwave stuff :) A while back I saw a great physical model of the USS Grissom modified to have a photon torpedo pod slung underneath instead of it's regular pod and decided to mock up my own TOS version...

[​IMG]

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Neat, but the intersection of the saucer and pylons looks "wrong" somehow.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I agree with sojourner except that I would add that I'd like to see more differences to the nacelles too. They just look like scaled down Connie engine, I think you can do better than that. Apply yourself!

Otherwise I'm loving it!

--Alex

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a great start, but like Sojourner says, the nacelle pylons look like they occupy the same space as part of the saucer. And why do they hook under the secondary hull like that? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to take a more direct route to their power supply?

BUT ...

It's your vision, blssdwlf, pick only the criticisms you agree with and ignore the rest. Make it a ship that you love, because you'll never please all of us.

5. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

First off, great job breaking away from the FJ Lollipop design that has plagued us for so long. This is what a destroyer should be, a small, fast attack ship.

We can certainly quibble about the details, but I like the direction this is going. Keep it up!

6. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

You might also want to borrow a cue from Forbin's Minmus project, shown here in another thread in this forum. Forbin took a saucer and shorter, full-diameter nacelles and combined them in a proto-Miranda-type arrangement. Maybe your concept could benefit from shorter, full-diameter nacelles as well.

7. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I like it, I like it!
    I wasn't going to invade the thread with my own ship, but I WAS going to suggest the short nacelles.

8. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I like it as well- With the exception of the pylons intersecting the saucer. I would have them go directly into the "secondary" hull- but it's your baby. I like the scaled down nacelles. I don't see why they wouldn't have a standard design, big or small.

I dig it!

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe go for nacelle proportions more like the Capella class has, as taken from Vance's toolkit:
    [​IMG]

10. blssdwlf

Thanks guys for the feedback :D

@All - I tweaked the connection on the pylons and the primary hull a little and really dig the "short" nacelles on Forbin's ships. I also made the modular connection to the torpedo pod more clear. I hope y'all can tell it's a pretty small ship but I'm leaving enough volume to fill it with the interiors I'm building for the Enterprise.

@Psion - The warp nacelle pylons connect to the primary hull to feed power into the engineering section and the pylons below the primary hull serve as a structural support/additional connections to the modular base. I have a vertical pylon for crew access that connect down into the modular section. The USS Grissom/Jester which I base off of doesn't have an obvious way to get to the lower section, but I assumed that by then it's rather automated. In the TOS era it would still be manned and thus the additional path into the modular torpedo pod.

@Forbin - Thanks! It was seeing the Jester-class assembled by you ? that got me inspired in the first place! :)

@CRA - I was really tempted to do a single nacelle ;)

[​IMG]

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Dynamite!

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Another good pre-Oberth type vessel.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looks very awesome to me :) :techman:

14. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Very nice work! :techman:

15. LibraryComputer

LibraryComputer Ensign Red Shirt

Very nice work indeed!

16. blssdwlf

Minor update :D

[​IMG]

17. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

So, that's who was keeping an eye on the Klingon fleet in "Errand of Mercy".

Clever.

18. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

How about rotating the red and green formation lights about 15 or 20 degrees forward so they aren't directly under the glowy engine domes? they strike me as too obscured for a visual identifier in their current position.

--Alex

19. Cmdr_Blop

Cmdr_Blop Lieutenant Commander

I really like this ship... it almost looks like a cross between a Connie and the robot cargo ship. I like it's small and squat form, and the fact that it's direct and functional.

20. blssdwlf

@Wingsley - :D

@Albertese - Agreed. Moved lights forward a little.

[​IMG]