Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Civ001, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What are reviews for?

I'd think that they're to inform us if a product is good or bad, if we don't already have a first opinion?

but we know Voyager.

So are we wanting to listen to someone we agree with, or someone we disagree with, because we know the product and we know the leanings of the reviewers, so it's all about generating predictable results with a replicatable method.

Gosh that sounds dirty.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't like reviews because I can't talk back. Posting youtube comments is pointless, it's not the same as a thread on a forum.

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

So in other words;if I posted my opinions/reviews on Youtube, you'd kiss my ass and hold what I say in higher regards than others?

Good to know.
    I think I'll change my screen name and post of Youtube from now on.:bolian:

Ebert earned his credibility to all in his business by having a degree in journalism. Ebert has first hand experience and insight because he actually learned his craft via the educational system. Someone that earned their career though proper education should mean something over someone that does it as a hobby.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will not kiss your ass, but I will indeed hold your opinion of Star Trek in higher regard than that of Snooki. You don't need to go to Youtube because you can already do a perfectly good job publishing your thoughts publicly here on TBBS.

Maybe you need to read my post again; you seem to have missed the point.

5. exodus

I think the missing of points was mutual.

6. zar

Not really. Basically, you just repeated your original statement with disregard to the responses it received:

and then...
    Not much growth there. Hard for us to miss your point when you don't bother to make one.

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here, but it's not with me. I never said that I "kiss Chuck's ass," just that he's a respected internet viewer with a respectable following. If you posted reviews that are as thoughtful and smart as his, and get the reputation that he has, I'd respect that, too. As it is, you just come off as jealous of the guy and his following.

As for Ebert's credentials, I'm pretty sure Chuck's a very well-educated guy, both formal and informal. I get that impression from his articulate reviews, and also, he refers to his level of education periodically. (He doesn't come out and say "I have a degree in theoretical physics from X university," but I'm reasonably sure he's as educated as Ebert, probably more so)

8. exodus

Is he getting paid like Rodger Ebert is?
    Is he rubbing elbows with the celebs he reviews?
    Then I don't see anything he's doing to be jealous of.

9. zar

It's right there, in bold.

10. exodus

Nope, rather have the cash.
    As I said, his following hasn't allowed him to rub elbows with the celebs he reviews or opened bigger doors into the entertainment industry.
    There is nothing he has to be jealous of.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  11. zar

I'm sure you would. Nevertheless you still come off as jealous of a guy whose opinions are held in higher regard than your own.

12. exodus

That makes no sense considering I've argued pro-critic with jouralism degrees who ALL have opinions held in higher regard than me.

13. zar

^ I'm sorry, but these posts just reek of bitterness:

You haven't yet said anything to dissuade me from concluding you are simply envious of Chuck's respect.

14. exodus

So support of those that go thru the educational system to earn a credible degree in their career is being bitter?

What, saying I'm not jealous isn't good enough for you?

15. zar

I just noticed that your last three posts were completely wiped out and rewritten, even edited after I'd already replied to them. It's kind of hard to have a conversation with one so indecisive.

And no, saying "No I'm not" isn't convincing at all. Your posts about "kissing asses" and such are devoid of reasoning and indeed come off as envious venting.

16. zar

Nice backpedal, but you didn't say anything about the education system until after someone mentioned Ebert. Remember your argument was that sfdebris was "no more credible than Snooki". So what are you proposing now? That everyone who lacks a degree is equally unworthy of respect regardless of how well they back up and present their views?

17. teacake

THE BORG HAVE BEEN WEAKENED!!!

And all you people care about is how important someone's soapbox is or isn't. This is why the Federation is fail.

18. zar

I'll get back to you on that once I finish analysing your soapbox.

19. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    no, the Federation fails because its soft citizens take soft vacations on soft planets like Risa!

20. teacake

You prefer painsticks on your holidays?