Buffy the Vampire Slayer Remake... Without Joss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hermiod, May 26, 2009.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kuzuis must've owned a lot of AIG stock...

2. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just... wow. This is nuts.

Wanna see my impression of Gandhi?

The only good part of the original Buffy film was when he died. Crazy funny! :lol:

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Making this movie without Luke Perry will be a HUGE mistake. H U G E !

4. Supreme Admiral

Supreme Admiral Captain

I agree with you!!

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Or Dean Devlin still, after 12 years, trying to make his original vision for a Stargate sequel that completely ignores the TV series.

Well, Michelle Tractenberg has had some film success with movies like Euro Trip & Ice Princess.

And while most of the actors haven't become huge stars, they do seem to be working steady, often getting regular TV gigs. Nicholas Brendan was a regular on Kitchen Confidential. Alyson Hannigan is on How I Met Your Mother. Charisma Carpenter had a recurring role on Veronica Mars. Anthony Stewart Head was a regular on Manchild in the U.K. David Boreanaz is the co-lead on Bones, a very solid success on FOX. Seth Green has, of course, gone on to all kinds of crazy stuff, like Family Guy, Greg the Bunny, & Robot Chicken. James Marsters played recurring baddies on Smallville & Torchwood. J. August Richards was a regular on Conviction. Amy Acker had some recurring roles on Alias & Dollhouse. Vincent Kartheiser is a regular on Mad Men. I'd certainly say they have a better track record than most former Star Trek actors (with the big exceptions of William Shatner & Patrick Stewart).

6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If this gets made I bet you dollars to donuts... Myley Cyrus will play Buffy :)

7. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I may be a strange case because I first watched Buffy and Angel on DVD and often watched 2-3 episodes a day, but the only part of any of the series I didn't really like were parts of Angel season 4. People always complain about Buffy season 6 and 7 but I thought they were pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as the previous seasons but still very enjoyable.

8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

As it syas in that article, they had only had about 10 seconds interview time with Joss. So I imagine he was being quickly diplomatic. I imagine he has more to say than that, good or bad

Michelle Trachtenbeg was in the recent Zac Efron vehicle 17 Again

9. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

It may be politically difficult for Joss to comment on this....

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know how much of the intellectual property Kuzui owns? It it just the name and aspects directly related to it? Or does she have proprietary rights to the various elements of the entire mythos?

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I've heard that Kuzui never did anything on the Buffy series but they still had to credit Kuzui as producer on every episode.

12. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yah, if you help get the series or movie made, whether through contacts or money, then you are a producer on the show/series. You helped "produce" it. And if they were the ones who originally bought and got the movie & series made then they do deserve the producer credit.

13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as I know, the credit situation with regards to the Kuzuis is the same as the situation on nuBSG with regards to Glenn Larsen; since he was the creator and executive producer of the original BSG, he was given a credit on the re-imagined BSG even though he had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The fuck?

They can't be serious. I have the original movie on DVD only because I love the show, otherwise I couldn't sit through it. But another one? nope, not when I have "The Origin" and Season 8.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I seem to recall that Joss comments on this very subject (though without mentioning names) in the commentary for "Welcome to the Hellmouth." Essentially, the whole reason the Kuzuis got credit on the show was because their agent negotiated them into it.

I could be wrong... its been a while since I listened to that commentary.

16. DigificWriter

^ I should go see if I can't find out for sure. JOOC, though, does anybody know exactly who was responsible for mucking up Joss' script for the film? I know he's said that it wasn't the director (Fran Rubel Kuzui), but I've never known whether or not to take that at face value.

17. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^^^
    If not the director, someone from the studio maybe? Or someone employed by the studio? I also think Fran Rubel Kuzui must have had some say in script changes -- Joss saying that she didn't may have just been a way of being diplomatic, since she apparently still has a considerable stake (no pun intended) in the franchise.

I know Joss has gone on record as stating that Donald Sutherland changed a lot of his lines. Joss didn't care much for that, and he's spoken of his contempt for Sutherland on more than one occasion.

18. DigificWriter

^ You might be right about Joss trying to be diplomatic, but he hasn't usually shied away from stating his opinion on things, even at the risk of sounding undiplomatic; case in point being what he and Tim say about the old FOX regime in their 'The Train Job' commentary and on the Firefly behind-the-scenes documentary 'Here's How It Was'.

TwoP and Io9 have offered some pretty interesting 'counterpoint' opinions with regards to the reboot and whether or not it is a good idea, so I now think I'm going to take a very cautious 'wait and see' approach with the whole thing. It would be good to know for sure, though, whether or not Fran Kuzui was responsible in any way for the changes that were made to Joss' original Buffy film script, if only as a measuring stick of just how much of a 'whole big sucking thing' (hee) this reboot project could potentially become if it isn't handled correctly.

Edited to add that I'm still listening to the WttH commentary, but that Joss hasn't yet said anything with regards to the Kuzuis and their involvement - or non-involvement - with the TV series.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was shocked when I read this story this morning...I'm curious to hear what Joss has to say about this idea as well. I doubt that this would go anywhere...I wonder if this is similar to the Stargate thing...I thought that I read somewhere that Devin and Emmerlich could revisit a second Stargate movie and have it diverge from the TV franchise because they weren't involved in that. It could be interesting if it's not a complete reboot...just this generation's slayer. Personally I'm holding out for a movie adaption of "Fray" starring Natalie Portman (since that is who Melaka was originally modeled after).

20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I was wrong / misremembered.

But I found it.

The explanation is on the commentary for "Not Fade Away."

Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/angel-tv-series