Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh Yes. 'MAKE IT SO"

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Someone could make the argument that new FX of the E-D would go a long way towards "correcting" the discrepancies in the various models of the Enterprise.

RAMA

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: Rumor: TNG-HD

I don't miss my CRTs one bit...my first LCD was slightly washed out, but the last 2 have been immeasurably better.

4. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: '

Unless one happens to own a CRT HDTV...like myself..

[​IMG]
    it handles multiple resolutions MUCH better than my newer LCD set...

But it's small.. 26" and heavy so it now lives in the bedroom...

5. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

Re: '

That's because CRTs don't have a native resolution like an LCD. Unfortunate that's only a byproduct of being analog, who's other by product it being less sharp.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any added resolution that CRT HDTVs might have is, IMHO, far outweighed by the increased risk of hernia and/or extreme back pain incurred by LIFTING the damn things.

7. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

For all those times you pick up and move your television...

8. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't you know? They apparently need to be dead lifted into the air just to turn them on. :lol:

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My wife likes to move the furniture around every two or three months. That fact alone made the move to LCD worth it. :p

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Some interesting info on HD/35mm film...while 35mm is indeed superior in pixels this will not necessarily always be so, HD is a relatively NEW technology, first being used in 2000 in Japan so we can expect it to improve, but in terms of TV viewing of course, its a huge improvement. The line between the actual quality of the differing pixels in 35mm and HD is already blurring because the "perceived" picture we see is based on lines, not pixels, and audiences and experts alike already can't tell the difference. Add to this, the resolution for HD has now reached 4,250 lines! Well above what we see on or tvs now.

http://filmschoolonline.com/sample_l...HD_vs_35mm.htm

RAMA

11. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

A 35mm film frame has the equivalent of 25-50 megapixels of usable information, which is about equivalent to a 4,500 line image, but Super Hi-Vision or something like it is at least 20 years from wide adoption

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

True, the point here is that the series need to be open to future upgrading.

Also, as the article says the best 35mm and HD are already roughly equivalent to human eyesight, because of the lines of res, anything else is just gravy..

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  13. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When used in TV context, HD refers to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p(if you include blu ray). We may have 4k cameras now, but just because they are higher resolution doesn't mean they are HD. When TV switches to 4k, there will be a new name for it. But if TNG is remastered, CBS should be smart and future proof the work by remastering at 4k not HD(1080p).

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well that's semantics, better left to some marketing dept of the future..whatever the term is for it in the future they'd better be ready for it.

15. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Rumor: TNG-HD

This is a good point that I was going to make. There's a relatively good explanation of how TNG and DS9 were edited down to video in The Making of DS9. Everyone keeps saying that it would need to be edited from scratch, and that may be true if all the original stuff from editing is gone. But, I'd imagine that if they bothered to save the original film elements then the edit logs are probably still kicking around somewhere too.

So, it might be a somewhat arduous task to re-create the episodes but nowhere near as bad as having to eyeball the whole thing.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not so much the *desire* to move your TV, it's the *ability* to do so. What if you move? What if you somehow do need to reorder the furniture (for whatever reason)? What if your TV breaks and you need to get it fixed? Good luck doing any of that shit with a CRT unit. You'll break your back in the process.

17. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

I just hope they don't air the episodes in order.
    New FX and sharp picture won't make me excited for "Encounter at Farpoint" (or any other season 1 episode).

I mean, I could take remastered "The Last Outpost" between "The Wounded" and "Ensign Ro", but having to sit through a whole season of trash before the good stuff comes along would be terrible.
    If they can work out some clever airing order, that would be great.
    Like they would air "Data's Day" pretty soon (because of Keiko), but not before they air "The Neutral Zone" (b/c of the Rommies "being back"). For DS9 that wouldn't work, but for TNG it might.
    They also should start with BOBW. It will get people's attention.

18. BillJ

Obviously no learned anything from Balance of Terror. :rofl:

19. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

I admit, if they pulled a BoT-R purist wank on BoBW that would be worse than Encounter at Farpoint.

But they do know there aren't so many TNG FX purists out there, right? Or are there?

20. BillJ

Nothing about purists here. It was the first episode redone and the models and effects just weren't very good. They should probably work the kinks out of the process before trying to do effects heavy episodes.