Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Wow, that is incredible. Lovely design.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

And someone made a video tour of the update:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzBxpfcXh28[/yt]

3. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

4. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it reminds me of a shopping mall. There is too much open space for it to be practical..

5. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Looks rather cool. Gonna share it on FB.

6. intrinsical

The big open space in the middle caused a bit of graphics lag on my somewhat above-average graphics card. I think it will lag a lot more for low-end players who use the integrated graphics built-into their Intel/AMD microprocessors, especially if there are many players running around.

But from a layout perspective, it is very intuitive. The shipyard with all ship gear vendors, ship tailor, ship repairs is in front. Admiral Quinn and all the personal skill trainers, boff vendors, respec trainers are behind. Personal gear vendors, commodity vendors, exchange market, tailor and sick bay are to the left. Club 47 is to the right.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Looks nice. On the other hand, wish they'd spend half the time on NEW stuff that they do tweaking and re-tweaking old stuff. 3rd ESD, they've redone the tutorial half a dozen times, lots of 'remastered' episodes, etc. Like they're allergic to new things, and just keep playing with the old stuff instead. Would rather the effort going into a little story content occasionally...

Layout on old ESD was fine, but if you think this is better, looking forward to it I guess. What they really need to fix is First City, if they want to tweak one. I've given up going there because the layout is crap, can never find anything, and it's a hot mess. My KDF toon goes elsewhere when they need something, unless it's Q right in the main lobby.

8. Vendikarr

Yea, my KDF lives at the Academy/Quarry. It has everything I need and I only go to First City to visit the Personnel officer for Contraband. If they put a contraband turn in at the Academy I'd never see First City again.

9. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder when we'll get to see the updated Borg/Undine mission arcs on test, since they've said that those are being worked on to bring them up to date with recent Iconian plot developments.

10. intrinsical

I just had a go at the season 9 space battlezone on Tribble. It plays exactly like the current ground battlezone, except in space. Instead of Voth troops, you fight Undine ships which felt like tissue paper. I easily ripped through them. Instead of fighting 3 T-Rex bosses at the end, you fight 3 planet killers.

11. Timelord Victorious

Yeah, they are really milking this Dyson Sphere thing.

Interesting that they are throwing the Voth under the bus so quickly.

Also interesting the title of S9: A New Accord which hints at the end of the Federation/Klingon war which has been a cold war at best ever since level 45 anyway.

12. Vendikarr

Is there a new reputation system tied to the new battlezone?

13. Timelord Victorious

Not yet afaik, but is there ANY doubt there will be? :lol:

14. Vendikarr

No doubt at all. The popular theory seems to be Undine reputation. I just hope they make it as simple as Voth reputation.

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

having a newer character that I'm leveling, the Voth rep IS much better. way less resource-intensive (not just marks, but XP and such as well) and goes faster. They need to go back and update the old ones (Omega, for example), as when you finish a tier, it's a 15 minute timer instead of 5 seconds for Voth, etc. And huge resource drag to buy stuff once you max out. Just finished Omega, and can't afford the Marks and XP to buy much of anything. Wasn't an issue on original toon, as had both maxed already, but for a new one, it's brutal.

Really want Adapted MACO set, but gotta aquire (at great cost) the regular set first, so gonna be a while...

16. intrinsical

I can indeed confirm that it will be Undine reputation. I earned Undine Marks while I was in the battlezone.

17. Timelord Victorious

Anyone else having trouble with the launcher? When I try to patch the Tribble install the launcher freezes and can only be shut down via task manager.
    Can't even click on the launcher anymore.
    Some people on the STO forum report the same thing.

18. NX-01ftw

NX-01ftw Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have been thinking about buying a few things from the store but don't know if I should or not? I want to get some stuff from Enterprise. What is everyone's experience with purchasing things?

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

In general? Disappointment. Only time I feel like I'm getting any value is when I buy account unlocks. By that, I mean bank space, ship/BOFF slots, etc. Never felt all that tempted by most of the uniforms, and most of the ships just don't hold up long enough for the money you'd spend. Different if it's real money or Lifetime stipend, though.

Don't buy anything you can't use at endgame/level 50. Ships at the lower level still cost good money, and you'll only use them a week at most before you outgrow it and have to upgrade. If there's a ship or uniform you really like, sure, but make sure it's a T5 version. All these new 10k packages? Yikes, that's lots of real money...

if you're considering buying more than a thing or two, may be worth just laying out for the lifetime sub next time it goes on sale. You get a bunch of upgrades and perks, 400 zen a month stipend, and a decent endgame ship. Takes a while to pay off vice buying the stuff outright, but the monthly stipend does play out nicely, the veteran ship for every character is decent, and it's a decent package vice paying for things here and there.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  20. NX-01ftw

NX-01ftw Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I was thinking to get the NX-01 to cruse with haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.