STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

how good are star trek into darkness reviews

So far there have been a wave of new star trek into darkness reviews and despite it not being out in the U.S. yet does anyone know compared to the 2009 movie what these reviews tell us and how well the movie is? Also right now rotten tomatoes has a 82 percent and meta critic 75 unlike the 2009 movie which had 95 on rotten tomato and 83 on meta critic but does anyone think it will get better once its released in U.S.?

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

He looks like a zombie in that first pic.

I always wondered about that. It's so funny how annoyed and pissed he is at people who like the old stuff better than the new stuff.

My Trek is better than your Trek.
    My Trek is better than yours.
    My Trek is better because it makes more money!
    My Trek is better than yours!

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Re: how good are star trek into darkness reviews

Moving to the Grading & Discussion thread, where all the reviews go.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: how good are star trek into darkness reviews

There are only 17 reviews so far on Rotten Tomatoes. Three are "rotten," and 14 are "fresh." It would take 12 straight fresh reviews to round up the "Tomatometer" to 90 percent fresh. Unlikely, I'd say. Still, I'd be surprised if it slipped below the 80s, but it's probably not going to get to 95 percent, either.

ST09 started out at 100 percent and stayed there for quite a while. (One of the first "rotten" reviews was actually by the late Roger Ebert.)

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, the percentage will improve considerably by May 19.

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

We don't know that. I have a feeling it will be high 70s/low 80s in the end. Thats my guess anyway.

7. tmosler

It is possible rotten tomato could get back to the low 90s once the U.S. reviews start coming in. It could be that the movie will be better received in the U.S.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

If there are 175 total reviews by the U.S. opening, 152 of the remaining 158 would have to be fresh to equal ST09's result. More realistically, I'm thinking it will stay somewhere in the 80s, so I'll go with a range of 85 to 87 percent. I think it's very unlikely, so I'd be disappointed if it slipped into the 70s, even the high 70s.

9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I share the sentiment, though. No matter how deep Trek had sunk, how much fans it lost over the years, how much it had become a parody of itself, some people would still prefer Braga-Trek to JJ's fun stuff. Honestly, I'll always prefer old Trek to new, but it won't stop me from enjoying the reboot exactly for what it is.

Tolkien fans said the same about The Hobbit. "It'll reach at least 85% by December 14th!"

It was at about 75% at the time. Finished with pathetic 66%. :lol:

As for STiD, it'll end up somewhere in the low 80's, I think.

10. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

You do know that South Asians are not Middle Eastern?

11. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

That's actually kinda sad, is it not as good as XI?

12. indranee

It's probably better but ST2009 had the benefit of sentimentality.

13. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Part of the problem with the RT score is that just about any 3/5 score review is going to read as negative, because those reviews are going to summed up as "doesn't live up to the original," even though the reviewer actually does think it's a good movie. Just look at The Playlist review. It reads fairly negatively, and anything good they have to say about it is worded as sort of a backhanded way. If they didn't spend the entire review comparing it to ST09, it *would* have been a positive review.

14. tmosler

the 2009 movie was much better recieved in the u.s. then it was with international audiences so this gives me some hope its score on rotten tomatoes can rise once it is released in u.s. also unfortently i just looke at rotten tomatoe and it now has a score of 78 due to another rotten review.

15. Flake

I think we have to come to terms with the fact it may end up in the 70s on Rotten Tomatoes.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Does it matter? All I care about is if I like it. :techman:

17. Flake

I am not reading the reviews until after I see it, I particularly want to read the negative reviews to see if these three things are true:

They are being negative because:
    1. Nitpicky about certain script elements and how things may or may not make sense. (Treknology etc)
    2. Marking it down because it does not conform to their ideal Star Trek. (Not boldly going or other similar bollocks)
    3. Not as good as Star Trek 2009.

If this is true then they where never going to like it. I just want the movie to be a fun and entertaining one.

18. Flake

A sequel to a well received movie can be 'review proof' anyway if Transformers 2 is any indication. What an awful movie that was.. made $400 million in North America alone.

19. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Pardon me, perhaps I should have said bordering the Middle East? Is that easier for you to digest? You understand the gist of the comment right, and to what it refers don't you?

20. indranee

I do get your "gist" but since when does the Indian subcontinent border the middle east? And yes this is a problem for me because it smacks of the western/American inability to delineate basic global differences. All brown people are "brown".... etc and etc.