Smallville Summer Hiatus Thread III (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 20, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I bet you it was Kelly...sigh. Darkness and Shadow are not themes related to Superman but Batman. This show has had more Batman elements to it in the last two or three seasons than one would expect. It has become dark, gritty, it's always been angsty, you have two of it's major characters involved in arcs of self-doubt, a sidekick, a hero who operates during the night and is clad in black and hangs out with Gargoyles, let's see what else am I missing?

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Sadly, I think that was the attempt all along...Al & Miles couldn't make a Batman show...so they take Superman and turn him into Batman...Kelly & Brian are just following suit...I almost feel cheated...I shouldn't take it so serious but for real...this is BS! I am disillusioned...how hard is it to do a Superman series? Not hard...but if that isn't the intent...then just say so...quit yanking people around...sadly there are fans of just SMALLVILLE who know nothing about the comics and are being fooled into thinking this is Superman...which in so many ways it is not as you(Admiral Young) have pointed out...my rant is over. :lol: :sigh:

3. Admiral_Young

Glad to know I'm not alone in my love/hate relationship with "Smallville". As we've talked about already it's done some epic stuff in the past and no doubt will do so this "final season" (I put that in quotes because one never knows with the CW ;) but the enjoyment is almost perfectly balanced with frustration. I know the actors can't really talk shit about what they film in public but I wonder how they REALLY think? Like say for instance if I was having a nice romantic dinner with Cassidy and asked her how she really felt about playing such an inconsistent but fascinating character...what would she say in response? Or if I asked her why does Tom always have that douchey sly smile on his face all the time?

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think Cassidy is just happy to be working. :lol:

Seriously though I don't understand why Clark Kent needs to have so many "darkest hours"...end of season 2 was dark(red K Kal)...Reborn Kal in S4 was a shift...Pa Kent dying in season 5...not to mention Clark's own death and resurrection...then Brainiac & Zod in Lex form...S6 was fairly dark...S7 also...then Failsday!? My rant is over...but I can't believe they are dragging this "Darkness" out...this isn't Superman.

[edit] SMALLVILLE is by far my favorite show...but it is a show I have the most problems with.

[add] something that may have been overlooked...Cat Grant will be in "Isis" according to Kryptonsite...Cat is being played by Keri Lynn Pratt...incase you missed that...she is in ep 2 "Shield".

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

When they want be epic they're epic. When they're not, they pull stuff out like kryptonite inhalers,gum and possession stories.

Well I guess her most honest answers would come from the ridiculous amounts of wine that go over your budget.

;)

"So tell me Cassidy, what do you think of your character on SMV?"

pours fifth glass

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    I think Allison Mack would be fairly honest with no wine involved...PROCUTUS!!! :lol:

7. Admiral_Young

I think Allison has more or less already given us her thoughts on the state of at least where she thinks Chloe's status quo has been on the series. Kristen Kruek as I've referenced a couple of times before in that Vancouver Province interview she did two years ago expressed her dissatisfaction in a diplomatic way with where Lana was heading and seemed to be glad to be leaving the show. By the way she lost out in the "Mission Impossible IV" role to someone who I've never heard of before but is hot. I was pulling for Kristen...if she got the role it would easily become her most high profile role including "Smallville" and "Street Fighter" which was a complete bomb and waste of time, and I don't blame her for that...the script was just horrible, one of Justin Marks worst.

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

SMALLVILLE has a great premise that was executed poorly season after season and is pretty much a different show than what is was at the beginning even though Clark seems to be dealing with the same issues? Writers have failed us mostly by this point in the game and it is sad they don't see it.
    Kristin, God bless her precious little heart has gone through a lot with SMALLVILLE and I am surprised she didn't bolt sooner. I am in no way belittling her talents as an actor...but she would be best suited on a soap opera with a long term contract as a major character...her fellow co-star from Edgemont & SMALLVILLE alum Dominic Zamprogna is doing great with General Hospital...think she would fit in great there too...the only soap I actually watch. :lol: And James Franco was awesome on there too.

9. Admiral_Young

Well said Jet...despite all of it's faults and it's niche/cult following and mediocre ratings, Smallville has lasted for TEN SEASONS...this is either a testament to the series or CW's incompetence at finding another decent show to replace it's time slot. I miss Smallville on Wed's.

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    I think it is the first 5 seasons that has carried it through till now...I use to watch SMALLVILLE at 2am on an NBC affiliate that carried WB shows late night until WB & UPN became the CW...I actually miss watching it 2am Sunday mornings. :lol: I won't trash the first 5 seasons because they were better for the most part than these last 4. I think WB, CW & anyone else who is behind the show wants to see it through the 10th season...I am shocked they didn't pull the plug after S7...which the writers strike pretty much killed it then.

[edit] I might have switched this up since I posted it way back in this very thread...

In order favorite seasons;

1. S5-Epic.
    2. S3-Very Strong...Memoria leading the way.
    3. S2-Great with the mythos & Chris Reeve.
    4. S7-Kara(LV)...Helen Slater.
    5. S1-Good begining for the series.
    6. S9-Better.
    7. S4-Bright Spots but Lana/Witch thing was dumb.
    8. S6-Never got into Lana/Lex...ended great.
    9. S8-Failsday!!! Legion only bright spot.

11. Admiral_Young

I think that looks about the same as it was earlier in the thread...forgot if I ever posted one but I think I just agreed with your list lol.

12. Samurai8472

S4 was crap. The whole teague/witches possession and a small trip to Vancouver's China town ;) left a bad taste.

By the end we're just lucky to have made it through and hope for season 5

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I had to dig deep. :lol:

Original...

Posted on previous page...

:shrug: :lol:

14. Admiral_Young

Season Four has the distinction of leading toward the creation of the Fortress of Solitude...and the witches episode gave us slutty Chloe, Lana, and Lois I believe (this is the dorm episode right where Clark and Lois are investigating weird goings on in Lois's college or something because if it is then it has former Much Music VJ Amanda Walsh in a bikini trying to seduce Clark). I liked Jensen Ackles as Jason Teague, just didn't really like all the mystic stuff connected to him and his mom.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

S4 had alot of bright spots...but overall it is at the same level as S6...they both could be above S7 & S9 I guess...really not above S1, and with S2, S3, S5.

16. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

Season 4 was where I decided that Lana should have left the show. Or rather, the end of season 3 when she left for her senior year in Paris. They should have just left her there. And most of her stuff that season had no real bearing on the main plot of most of the episodes. So much so that when recording each episode, I deleted every scene with Lana unless she was in it with either Clark or Lex. You would not believe how much better the episodes flowed without all her angsty crap about letting Jason pop her cherry. Omitting that crap made the entire season much better.

And yes, I am disparaging Kristen Kreuk's acting chops. She is a horrible actress who has only gotten by on her looks. I saw better acting done in my freshman year high school drama class.

17. Samurai8472

Just bring back every Vancouver actor that had a small role.

:rolleyes:

http://www.kryptonsite.com/rickflag.htm

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    That doesn't really bother me...they used Tahmoh Penikett twice...S3 & S6.

@The Dagman I wouldn't go that far. :lol:

19. Admiral_Young

For once I don't think i have anything to say :(

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    You could defend KK's honor. :sigh:

:lol:

[edit]
    I know something fun we can do as we wait for more news and the premiere of the 10th and final season...

List your 3 favorite episodes from S1-S9. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Smallville_episodes if you need to refresh your memory...somehow I see myself as the only one doing this. :lol:

S1: X-Ray, Rogue & Nicodemus.
    S2: Ryan, Insurgence & Rosetta.
    S3: Perry, Hereafter & Memoria.
    S4: Run, Transference & Commencement.
    S5: Splinter, Lexmas & Reckoning.
    S6: Arrow, Justice & Phantom.
    S7: Kara, Blue & Descent.
    S8: Bride, Legion & Requiem.
    S9: Metallo, Absolute Justice & Checkmate.

To be fair there are more eps per season that I am fond of...but these stick out the most.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2010