The Official Welcome Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lord Garth, Sep 21, 2007.

1. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

That's good to hear! Glad you and your mom and brother enjoyed the movie - the more the merrier :) Welcome to TrekBBS!

2. Possum

Possum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi, I'm new to this BBS but not to Star Trek. I've been a fan of TOS since I was a kid and caught in in late night reruns in the mid-80s. Saw the fourth movie through the last one in the theater. I stuck through the first few seasons of TNG and was rewarded once the show hit its stride in the 3rd season and kept improving. My favorite post-TOS series is DS9. I thought it did the best with truly using an ensemble cast. I just loved the characters. My big gripe with it was the inclusion of Worf and the Klingons in the 4th season. The Klingons took too much away from the Bajoran and Cardassian stories in my opinion. I am watching right now through Netflix and have just started the 4th season. I never have seen the last season due to going to college.

I could never get into Voyager, plus I had gone off to college by then and didn't have the time and not until recently have I seen any Enterprise episodes. I was prepared to like it when it premiered as it had Scott Bakula in it but was very put off by its being directly marketed to 18 year old boys. Sorry- I still can't imagine Vulcans wearing skin tight uniforms. I did catch the last three eps on Sci-Fi recently and might give it a second chance.

I didn't follow any information about the new movie until I saw a preview for it. I was totally put off and griped to my husband (a fan of the original show who never got past the first season of TNG) how it'd be horrible but we'd have to see it on opening weekend anyway- just so we could know how bad it was. So I went to the movie totally unspoiled- I couldn't have even told you which actors were in it. He, my mom, and I went to see it and halfway through I was totally shocked how good it was. I've been to see it a second time and loved it just as much (I've just told myself to ignore the shaky plot and the Romulans). What made it work was the interaction/chemistry of the actors and the eye to detail for me.

It has totally gotten me back interested in the series a lot more. In fact, I've gone back and been rewatching TOS which I haven't really done since the early 90s. I was first thrown off by how low-tech it looks now in comparison to the new series (it didn't seem that low-tech when I was a kid *g*) but what made it was the chemistry between the actors and some decent stories.

Didn't intend to write a book here- I just have my old Star Trek enthusiasm back.

3. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

the new movie has also revived my inner trekkie.

I've also had multiple friends (mostly Star Wars/LOTR fans) who never got into Star Trek.....but they loved the new movie and now they're hooked. Several have got in touch with me because they knew I liked both and wanted advice on which previous Trek movies/episodes to watch.

I found this board...lurked for awhile and then decided to register. I really like this place....its user friendly and filled with many excellent posters.

Thanks for the welcome thread.

4. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

welcome to all the new peeps! :)

5. Royal Fizzbin

Royal Fizzbin Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi all. I went looking around for sites that were discussing the new movie as well as Star Trek in general (who knew that there were so many Star Trek sites on the Internet? :lol:) but this one looks like the most fun and the craziest, in a good way.

Me, I'm a fan of pretty much anything Star Trek. I grew up on TNG and Voyager (and some TOS reruns) but lately I'd have to say my favorite series are TOS and Enterprise. But I also really like DS9, as I'm a sucker for anything with a big plot arc. I have to say that I also adore the new movie and I can't wait for more.

I'm also huge into toy collecting. Needless to say, the Star Trek and Transformers films have destroyed my wallet! Most of my older Star Trek toys are up in a box in the attic, but I have bought nearly every single one of the new toys and I'm itching for the next wave so I can complete the bridge. So if anybody ever wants to talk toys I'm game.

Hope to have many scintillating conversations with you folks in the future!

6. indranee

^welcome to the fun house! :D

7. USS Dragon

USS Dragon Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Guess I should of posted here first:brickwall:

Hi I am USS Dragon, but you can call me USS Dragon ;)

I Love the site and reading all the posts from people passionate about all the different Star Trek series. I am curious though, are there any other people here that love "all things ST"?
    Growing up I remember "playing Star Trek" at recess even as young as KG and 1st grade (that would have been in 1969-1970) so early on I enjoyed ST. I watched it when ever I could and by 4th grade I even had action figures, a model of the enterprise, a tricoder?, and a communicator in my room.
    Be it girls or age I slowly stepped away from ST as I got older but would always watch a re-run if I caught it on TV. I just no longer would "seek out" the play times or stations of the re-runs. (of course only had 3 channels back then and 1 fuzzy UHF channel) LOL
    Later in life I was overjoyed to hear about the movies coming out! I loved ST the Motion Picture and was not bored at all. I was just glad to see a "new star trek" project again! (I enjoyed the cartoons as well when I was younger). I loved all the movies Just because it was a Star Trek movie. Star Wars was fun to watch, it had cool stories and cool characters, but is was NOT Star Trek. Hans Solo was cool, but he was no Kirk! The M.-falcon is cool, but its no Enterprise! So while never shunning or hating other Sci-Fi movies, I just always loved ST more.
    When TNG came out I was in Europe and did not get to see the early episodes and just like the original would never seek it out, but would be glued to the TV whenever I happened upon an episode. At first I thought I would not like it (because all the characters were different), but the Enterprise was still there, so I figured its OK with me too! Love TNG now as much as TOS. Unlike TOS though, I never saw every single episode of TNG (working on that now). DS9 and Voyager came out later, and was worried because the people would be different and No Enterprise. To my own shock though, I enjoyed both of those too!
    I have all 7 seasons of TNG now at my home and I am watching an episode or three every day and loving it!!!! There are soooooo many shows I never even saw that it makes me feel like a kid on Christmas everyday :)
    I cannot wait to find all the episodes of Voy. & DS9 to watch them as well; There are prob more then a 100 episodes of each of those that I have never seen.
    When it comes to Enterprise, I have never watched even 1 show yet!! But I know in my heart, that I will LOVE it too!
    WHY???
    Because I love ALL THINGS ST! (I don't know why, but I just do! No show rather good or bad has made me change my mind).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  8. Omegalomaniac

Omegalomaniac Cadet Newbie

Hello folks Omegalomaniac here,I do love TREK but not completely geeked about it.There are those who would disagree about the last part of that statement.But that's of no consequence to me :lol:

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

We accept Trek fans in any strength. :bolian: Welcome to the funhouse.

10. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Yeah, welcome up everybody. :) We're having a BBQ with vegan options in an hour on the Lido deck.

11. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

Hello, BBS.

Ah, finally a forum I've found that moves at a quick speed that I can stand (and is also supportive of the new film). I've been posting over at the troll-infested IMDb page for a few weeks.

Anyway... I never had any interest in watching Star Trek prior to this film, which I was turned onto because it looked interesting and people were talking about it very positively (raving about it, in fact) on the various Whedonite BtVS/AtS forums that I belong to.

First off, I'm an Star Wars OT fan (Han/Leia, in particular). The technobabble aspects that Star Trek had become [in]famous for (especially with TNG) were not appealing to me (I'm a fantasy/supernatural genre fan). I had seen the last half of First Contact at a friend's house, however, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I watched the new film (and became a Zachary Quinto/Heroes fan in the process) and started watching TOS.

As far as TOS goes, I'm a known TVLand retro television junkie (I've seen insane amounts of I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, I Love Lucy, The Addams Family, The Munsters, Happy Days, The Wonder Years, Family Ties, Mork & Mindy, The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, etc...), so TOS appeals to me on that retro kitsch level. TOS is very comparable to those kinds of shows for me. Though, I must admit that Shatner was always one of the turn-offs of Star Trek for me. I enjoy Spock and McCoy at least (same favorites with the movie, in fact).

So, with that said, I hope I will be welcome!

12. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Completely :)

We're trekkies of all stripes here.

Actually, check out the General TV and Media forum - I think there'll be plenty of folk there who share your love of classic TV shows.

13. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

Well, I mention those only because I have watched a lot of them (and now starting on TOS), but I certainly do watch more modern stuff (a few of which I mentioned--Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Angel: the Series, Bones, Dollhouse, Roswell, Heroes, etc...). And yep, I have noticed that some people here have similar tastes in the T.V./movies section.

I'll eventually continue with watching the rest of TOS online (it's nice they have it for assuredly many new viewers lately by free and legal means).

And as I said, I've been helping explain things like alternate timelines (which I am familiar with due to my exposure to genre franchises--it's shocking how many people have had trouble with it, while I thought it was very clear in the film), the plot holes that aren't plot holes and the deleted scenes on IMDb ever since the first few days that the film was out. I think I've caught onto quite a bit about the franchise and the history of it.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Ooo, sorry about that. From there, you have nowhere to go but up.

Welcome to the funhouse.

15. indranee

welcome... great to see you here :techman:

16. Sanae

Sanae Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi I'm Sanae!

Growing up with a Star Trek fan mum and a Star Wars fan dad it was pretty much impossible for me to not LOVE both. I also got into Harry Potter but that's my own doing...

Anyway, I'm ecstatic about the new movie and the fact that they've rebooted the whole thing making it possible to have so much more Star Trek goodness to look forward to also allowing for new people to join the fandom who will hopefully come to cherish it as much as the old fans have done for the past 45 years. This way, Star Trek will indeed live long and prosper!

To the admins of these boards: thank you for letting me play in here, I promise I'll set my phasers to "behave". :p

17. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Welcome to you both! It's so awesome having new blood around here. I've made so many new friends in the past month thanks to the new movie. :)

18. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

A smooth arrival. :)

Welcome to all the new guys.

19. 77sevenseven

77sevenseven Ensign Red Shirt

Hi everyone 77sevenseven here! I absolutley eat, breath and sleep Star Trek. I got into it from TNG and loved it ever since, I have always been a fan of sci fi ever since I was a kid. I still remember my forst Star Wars action figure! It was all downhill from there! I like most sci fi including the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica (shoot me if you must).
    I even remember changing my shift in work to watch episode 1 of the last season of Enterprise (now I thank god for my PVR)!
    I have seen the new movie of Star Trek about 8 times - sad I know but hey if it floats your boat!
    Anyhow Its nice to be here with like minded people. I look forward to making a contribution to the forum!

77sevenseven

20. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Should we call you Seven for short? Or 7? :D