What is "The Fall"?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Freman, Dec 24, 2012.

1. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As of the latest book we are in 2384, Hobus blew it's top in 2387.

This series is really looking fun, can't wait!

2. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

DS9?

Picard and Garak

Holy balls yes. Although it's probably too soon to
    Bring Vaughn back from the dead.

Kira too I guess.

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been wondering if the fall in question refers to Romulus, too...

Regardless, I'm very excited for this. Five novels, at the current edge of the timeline, with an interconnected plot, by five great authors, featuring Titan, DS9, TNG, and Garak as written by McCormack? This is brilliant. Now to survive half a year limited to 5-year-mission TOS stories.... :lol:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Not entirely limited to TOS stories. We've got the TNG eBook The Stuff of Dreams coming in April and Rise of the Federation coming in July.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No disrespect to the authors, just to the subject period, but it does seem like a very long stretch of rather uninspiring 5yr Mission TOS.

I am excited about your Rise Of The Federation though...

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ They'll sell well when the new movie comes out.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

They'll sell well anyway.

You'd think I was old enough and ugly enough not to be surprised when other people like different things to me...

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They can always do another time jump.

Without explaining anything that happened in the intervening time (re: Ascendants). :p

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure the novels are allowed to touch anything from the movie. Squeezing 5 novels into a 60-day period may be the start of an epic push to draw out these last 3 in-universe years until JJ Abrams and co. leave the franchise:lol:

10. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My feelings exactly.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This could happen - there's about three and a half in universe years (?) before the Hobus event. It could take twice that in 'real' years to get there...

12. Christopher

But if that were what the editors wanted, why these huge jumps forward in time from the post-Destiny stuff in '81 to the initial Typhon Pact miniseries set mostly in '82 to the more recent TP stuff in '83 to Cold Equations in '84? Over the last three years, the 24th-century novels have advanced in roughly real time. By comparison, filling in 2376, just the first year after DS9, took four years if you count from Avatar, five if you count from Gemworld.

If the editors' goal were what you say, then, it would have to be a pretty sudden change of policy. So maybe it's simply that The Fall takes 60 days because that's what worked best for this particular story.

13. vorador33

vorador33 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well if the books aren't allowed to touch anything from the films and Abrams takes as long to get film number 3 into cinemas as he has Into Darkness then they're going to have to slow down eventually regardless of what the editors want.

14. Jarrod

Jarrod Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Not being able to touch JJ Trek isn't really a hindrance at all. Just look at the wonders that Big Finish has been able to do to the Doctor Who universe, while not being able to touch the New Series.

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Why jump now to the destruction of the Eisn system. A few more years of a fractured Typhon pact and the Hobus event may finish it off?

16. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since the Hobus Supernova event occurred in the Prime Timeline, I see no legitimate reason - nor have I ever heard one thrown out by anyone officially associated with Trek Lit - that the event cannot be addressed in Prime Timeline books. The only constraint I could see would be if whatever Pocket puts out has to substantially jive with the Countdown comics.

I believe the edict is that nothing in the nuTrek timeline can be touched at the moment by Pocket - outside of film novelizations. That does not include Hobus, which is specifically stated to have occurred in the Prime Timeline.

Of course, I am open to correction...

Rob+

17. Christopher

^Well, I don't know if this is the case, but as I said in another thread, a publisher could be constrained from mentioning something that was part of the same timeline if they didn't have the license for the particular part of the franchise it came from -- like the way Marvel wasn't supposed to reference any TOS storylines in their post-TMP comic (though they slipped in plenty of subtle nods anyway) or the way IDW currently doesn't have a DS9, VGR, or ENT license. What fictitious "timeline" something is in doesn't matter at all to the legal departments and licensing people; all that matters is what TV or movie series they belong to, since they're treated as separate entities from a licensing standpoint.

Of course, Pocket's license has always included everything ST before, and a sister imprint is publishing Abramsverse YA novels, so again, I'm just speaking hypothetically of how it could be the case, not saying anything about whether it is. I have no clue what Pocket's plans are for dealing with 2387 and Romulus.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd think that they are obligated TO include the Hobus Supernova as part of the deal with tie-ins is to adhere to on-screen cannon.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose the novels could do with Romulus, something like what John Peel did with Skaro in the DW novel War of the Daleks...

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But is Bad Robot canon legally the same as Paramount/CBS canon?