Romance between Kirk and Carol?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Gsam, Dec 23, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well it's a movie, if it was a series we would see a lot more of S/U and K/Everyone. Issues included.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Carol didn't seem to like Kirk much at all in STID so I would assume that a romance is not likely. Although anything is possible.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The idea of two people who "hate" each other at first, but then fall in love is a pretty common one in fiction.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Maybe too common?

5. teacake

They don't hate each other though. He thinks she's hot, and she thinks she better establish herself around this man, probably because he makes just a little bit weak and that is scary.

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is one other possibility that no one seems willing to concede to:

That Carol Marcus may well conceive Jim Kirk's child, not only without his concent, but without so much as his participation. She could impregnate herself with some of his DNA. I know that she's not a biologist or physician, but she is a scientist, nonetheless. As far as what her motivations for doing this might be, they could well come from a failed romance with Kirk and wanting some part of him with her ... forever and always. It might have nothing more to do with the fact than that she's, quite simply, always wanted a child - but not necessarily a husband. Carol's already noticed Kirk's attributes, which she finds terribly attractive. Who else to procreate with but the crème de la crème of STARFLEET?

7. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you saying Carol is batshit crazy? :lol:

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like father, like daughter:lol:

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, she did drop her drawers in front of James T. Kirk for absolutely no reason and then told him to turn around ... with every hope and expectation that he'd peak. And what was the status of their relationship, then? I've never had a chick just drop her drawers in front of me, without us getting it on. I mean ... Carol's not all there, is she? Perhaps, Admiral Marcus never bought her that pony she wanted as a child and now she's acting out ... impregnating herself, out of wedlock, with the seed of a near-total stranger.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I literally is Genesis.

11. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Carol would be crazy, and immoral, to impregnate herself with Kirk's DNA without his knowledge or consent.
    If anybody has to get pregnant, I'd rather it be Uhura than Carol. I guess as long as Carol took her fetus and left that would be ok.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

I never got that impression from nuCarol. She just seemed that she didn't want anything to do with Kirk, and did not care what he thought of her. Even if this version of Kirk had the hots for Carol, there's absolutely no indication she did, or would ever, return his affections.

And yes, I am aware that quite a few real life (and also fictional) love affairs start off that way. But we can't assume that the Abrams counterparts of Kirk and Carol will end up anywhere near like their original versions will. People only think these versions of Carol and Kirk will get together because their originals did. But why should anyone assume that?

13. borgboy

Original Carol seemed to get along just fine without Kirk. She seemed like a dynamic woman at the top of her field, her child raised and off to a good start in life, and she didn't seem to have any interest in resuming her past relationship with Kirk. So it's true to the history of the character that she's not all that interested in a relationship with Kirk.

14. teacake

Because they have chemistry and if even Prime Spock can toss the word destiny around then they certainly have a better chance of getting together than Carol and some random. And yes all that bickering is chemistry.

15. borgboy

If you say so teacake. I didn't feel any chemistry with them at all. I found their interactions genreally unpleasant to creepy.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

I also didn't think this version of Kirk and Carol had any chemistry either. Again, people are subconsciously 'thinking' that they do simply because the originals did. Everybody heard the name 'Carol Marcus' and thought OMFG DAVID!!! But just as nobody ever saw Spock/Uhura coming, nobody can know where this is going either.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

unpleasant to creepy? Came across as typical movie boy-girl banter to me.

18. teacake

I am not "subconsciously thinking" I am actually thinking and looking at the character interchange, which as a few people have mentioned is classic movie boy/girl stuff. If Carol had been named Linda Peabody everyone would STILL be making threads about whether they were going to get together because of the typical stuff we saw in XII that points that way.

Also, let's not forget who we are talking about here as far as attraction goes. Captain James. T. Kirk. A force of attraction that only physics could attempt to explain.

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

You are not very good at reading people, are you?

They were written and acted with a very obvious reciprocal interest. Kirk drools at her, and she titillates him. Not very subtle.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

You're just learning this NOW? :lol: ;)

I'm just a literalist, I guess. And you're exactly right: I can't read people well. What llttle I can read, I go by what I see at that time. I'm not good at picking up on "subtext" or "clues" or any of that kind of thing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Kirk likes Carol - but I saw no evidence that Carol did, or ever would, return it. I saw a likelihood that Carol would have kicked Kirk in the nards had he not been her commanding officer, but I didn't see any indication that Carol actually liked anything about Kirk.