Grey Dress Uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by AlxxlA, May 19, 2013.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the gray, which surprised me.

I liked the wetsuits more ;). Not enough below-the-waist shots, though.

2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i kinda like the black officers uniform that Pike and Spock were wearing in the first one those were kinda cool.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree, the updated TOS uniforms don't really look that great. I actually like all the other uniforms we see in the Abramsverse, the Kelvin uniforms, the cadet uniforms, Pike's jacket he was wearing in the bar scene in XI, the admiral's uniform, and the dress uniforms and the flightsuits all look great. But the TOS style uniforms just look cheap and don't fit with the lineage established with the other outfits at all.

4. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

I didn't like the color bands on the grey tunics at all. You do that on a tunic collar or on an epaulet. Made it look like an NFL warm up jacket.

At least they didn't Wehrmacht everything up like the producers of Starship Troopers did.

5. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

The flightsuits are meant to has transparent bands that simply show the colour of the shirt underneath.
    In reality they just stuck a matching shape of coloured material behind the window.

6. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is my take, they are giving nods to the uniform change for TWOK by giving us a dress uniform which looks like it could be worn by sailors today up to using the "bus driver":rommie: service caps

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I liked the TOS uniforms and wanted to see more of those and less of everything else. And yeah, the other outfits did unfortunately make the TOS uniforms look out of place at times.

Thinking about it now, it would have been nice if the Vengeance uniforms were exactly like the updated and embroidered TOS uniforms, but in black. Dark green or purple might have worked too.

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not feeling the Vengeance uniforms, at all. I am a huge fan of the dress uniforms, because they actually look like military uniforms, rather than costumes.

9. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dont see it myself, theres nothing in the styling which would suggest those uniforms other than them being a smarter looking uniform to the TOS ones. The uniforms in the re-imagined BSG remind me more of the old movie uniforms (them and anytime I see Due South)

Which didnt make sense when Marcus changed in the shuttle unless she changed out of her dress and into a tunic and trousers before putting on the flightsuit. I would have thought she would have stuck the flightsuit over what she was already wearing.

10. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked the grey uniforms, it was a nice update. More structured than the TMP uniforms, they looked smooth.
    Not sure about the hats, wasn't expecting them, but they didn't look terrible. Thumbs up on the uniforms here.

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

The hats are not so much goofy as anachronistic. Too "present-day navy". It reminded me of Space: Above and Beyond which didn't feel futuristic at all.

12. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

I hated the TOS uniforms, but I really found myself admiring the updated uniforms in this movie. I liked how there were layers- gray pants, military-style boots, and a black shirt underneath the colored tunic. They only wear the tunics on the ship, which makes sense. The black shirt seems to be the base of all of their uniforms.

13. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

I have to say I'm a big fan of the dress uniforms. Though one thing that I was disappointed about was the colors of the white fronted uniforms was the grey color instead of the white one in STXI.

From STID:
    http://scifanatic.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/stid-t5-11.jpg

From STXI:
    http://img.trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/st09hats2.jpg

[Please don't hotlink images from TrekMovie. Anthony hates when people do that. - M']

Personally I prefer the white color look, more in keeping with the general TMP look they're going for.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  14. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

I wondered if the cap designs were a call-back to Pike's Cap that you see in his quarters in the Cage, but he never wears, and we never see again in Star Trek.

15. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Do you think the Vengeance uniforms were Section 31 uniforms or a rift on the Next Generation?

16. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

isn't tos the original cast? :confused:

17. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I was taken a bit aback by the dress uniforms but they fit the more militaristic look of Starfleet in this movie.

18. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The crew of the Vengeance were "private security", as per Scotty. So probably the uniform for a private security firm or private military company.

19. Belz...

20. Belz...

Delete.