STID realistic?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Grendelsbayne, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Shall we start with that ridiculous "lava rafting" thing nuSpock does in the beginning? As in he comes out of it without a scratch, AND his gizmo not only turns off the lava on the planet's surface, but apparently way down in the planetary mantle, as well. The atmosphere got cleaned up really fast. Oh, and I guess the gases didn't make the ocean water acidic (since nuScotty never mentioned anything about it possibly having an adverse effect on the ship). And speaking of the ship, it must have displaced quite a bit of water when it entered and exited the ocean. Yet nobody noticed...

Interesting that you mention malls, 'cause that's what the nuEnterprise reminds me of. What's the point of all that empty space? The brig area resembles a DS9-like Promenade where the cells are actually the stores.

Oh, see nuKirk get shot out of the ship in his space suit. See his helmet get compromised and cracked numerous times by space debris. See nuKirk not even a little bit worried about running out of oxygen or suffering decompression. Damn, those must be really strong helmets that can crack like a windshield and still be perfectly safe to use.

And speaking of artificial gravity... can anyone explain the part where people are sliding all over the place and falling? Was the artificial gravity completely off, or was it just wonky? If it was completely off, people should have been floating, not flailing around like it's a Titanic/Poseidon Adventure remake...

I'm not familiar enough with starship blueprints to comment on the measurements of the various ships, but damn, nuScotty could have used a Segway when he was running... and running... and running... and running...

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Is there any aspect of space travel in any incarnation of Star Trek that is truly "realistic"?

His facial expression says that he is worried. Do we have to have every bit of information presented in dialogue? I always thought that mantra of movies was "show don't tell"?

3. Timewalker

Was that supposed to convey "I have multiple cracks in my helmet and could suffer decompression at any moment"? Did he ACT like he was having trouble breathing?

4. BillJ

Why would he have trouble breathing while the faceplate was still intact? Picard didn't seem to have any issue breathing after Hawk-Borg stomped on his face plate and cracked it. Nor did he seem to be worried about it at all.

I understand the vacuum of space. I don't need a character to explain to me that having a cracked faceplate is a bad thing.

5. Timewalker

You understand it. I understand it. NuKirk didn't seem to understand it. He was worried, yes - about going off-course. I don't remember anyone being concerned about his cracked helmet (or if they did, I must have missed it).

6. BillJ

What exactly would it have accomplished for Kirk to be overtly concerned about the faceplate?

7. Timewalker

It would have demonstrated that he was intelligent enough to be scared.

8. BillJ

Oh Jesus Christ, you really are reaching for reasons to bash the film. How many times should the character of Kirk been scared over the last forty years yet wasn't?

It's a character trait, Kirk puts the mission before his own emotions.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Fear is not indicative of intelligence. Not everyone gets scared at the moment something goes wrong, and death is a possibility. If they do, they contain it till later. There's time to breakdown later.

10. BillJ

It would've been a much better film if Kirk had started flailing violently and screaming "Spock... I'm gonna diiiieeeeeeeeee".

Some people really make you shake your head.

11. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Kirk is awesome. He doesn't act scared. He's an example to his crew - just like Picard or Janeway.
    Besides if he got back on-course he was going to be saved by getting to an atmosphere.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Bingo. Don't worry about the problem, worry about the solution.

Faceplate cracked: He's in space, if the faceplate gives way, he's dead. So what do you do? Focus on getting to the other ship before he faceplate cracks. To do that, he's gotta stay on course.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Jim Kirk's motto: "Never say die".

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

How CC would have made it ;):

15. Timewalker

Yeah, nuKirk would have totally aced the gom jabbar test. :rolleyes:

My point is that the ACTOR failed to convince me that his character, nuKirk, had any concern whatsoever that his helmet had started coming apart and he would soon be dead. If the cracks got big enough, he wouldn't need to worry about what course he was on. He'd be dead.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Really?

KIRK: Damn it.

SPOCK: Captain, what is it?

KIRK: My helmet was hit. Uhura, tell me you have Mr.Scott back.

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Assuming he doesn't slam into the hull of the starship he's heading to, because I'm pretty sure as fast as he was going that would likely kill him way before the cracks is the faceplate cause it to either leak all his air out or shatter.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has Kirk ever shown fear for his own safety? Nothing comes to mind.

Besides, he's smart. He'll either make it to the Vengeance before his faceplate shatters or he won't. Why fret when he can concentrate on getting back on course?

19. Timewalker

M'kay, I must have missed that. Okay, my mistake. He does express some concern.

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Bigger problems at the time. They were all going to be dead if they didn't stop Marcus. Focus on that first, give that your attention, don't worry about what might happen--especially if you're screwed anyway.