Heroes Reborn - Season 1 Discussion Thread (with Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Morpheus 02, Sep 22, 2015.

?

How excited am i to watch Heroes Reborn?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2015.
  1. I am super excited and can't wait to see it..it should be good!

9.5%
  2. I am cautiously optimistic...looks good, but i've been fooled before

52.4%
  3. Don't care either way, or just extremely ambivelent

33.3%
  4. The previews don't look promising, but i'll try any way

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Totally against it. I'm just here to troll

4.8%
  1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know we had our Heroes: Reborn - news, previews & speculation thread, but thought it was time for the full on thread.

Sorry, I am being a bit lazy with no graphic or preview video . Please feel free to add.

But the previews look REAL promising, and I like how they opened up the marketing, with HRG as the first character.

Lots of my favorites are returning, and those who i think have been overdone are not. Zachary Quinto, for example, was brilliant as Sylar, and proved his worthiness to be SPock...but his character just isn't necessary, unless it is an actual final showdown.

I wonder how it will do, with so many OTHER superhero related shows on the same week, such as Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and Gotham...and other genre shows like The Walking Dead (i know it's a comic too, but different than the others I mentioned).

2. Morpheus 02

OK, almost 100 people have seen this thread, but only 3 people voted, and no one commenting? Usually, these kind of threads have at least a bit of pre-show chatter.

So i am checking in so someone doesn't start another thread.

I know we had a thread talking about upcoming news for the show, as well as reflections on the old show.

Any more thoughts? Or just wait until later...? I forgot to ask as well -- who's watching live, and who is watching later, and if later, how much so?

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I was dissapointed by the return of Matt Parkman. Didn't much care for him on the original show at all.

Also, those webisodes they put out leading up to the new show were down right painful to watch.

They've got another 2 hours of goodwill from me before I decide to remove it from my record list on the DVR.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't watch the webisodes, but those kind of spin-off web series are rarely up to the same quality of the main show.
    I'm really looking forward to this. I stuck with the original a lot longer than most people, so I'm probably going to be easier to please than other people might be.
    Based off of the promos, I like how they seem to be approaching this with appearances by the old characters, but not a focus on them.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I was the first one who voted, FWIW...I chose the "cautiously optimistic" option. The webisodes intrigued me...I like that they seem to be making the gap since the previous series's finale work for the story, and that they're definitely not backpedalling on the outing of the superhumans to the world (which was something that should have been done sooner on the original show, IMO).

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Barely interested. I'll let others go in and find out if it's worth my time. I'm not interested in being burned again.

And to be honest, I would rather watch something new than a rehash of a show. Been there done that.

So, unless I hear some amazing things, I'm not tuning in.

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Cautiously optimistic. Funny how soon nostalgia arrives nowadays.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Pretty much how I feel. I gave up in the middle of Season 3, and I don't really care to go back into this universe. It could very well be awesome, but I'll wait to hear from others before I give it a shot.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I was really, really skeptical of this going in, unsure if I even wanted to give it a try. But it started out very strong, with the opening sequence in Odessa and the montage that followed it. It started to get a bit less interesting once it got to "Now," but it's still a lot better than the later seasons of the original, perhaps because it has less baggage.

It's weird to hear the powered people called Evos, because the same name (as an acronym, E.V.O.) was used for the nanite-created mutants in the Generator Rex animated series. Also it bugs me that it's using the same conceit as so many other similar series and using the term "human" for people without unusual abilities, implicitly defining the powered as nonhuman.

The "El Vengador" plot kind of makes sense. If anyone were really going to fight crime in a mask, it'd probably be someone steeped in luchador culture. And it's kind of ironic that the masked hero who emerges is someone without powers. Although the plotline with the brothers and the mantle being passed on was kind of predictable and hokey. And I would've preferred it if the priest had been a normal person and had just been helping evos because helping the downtrodden is what priests are supposed to do.

The Evernow manga was put together wrong, bound on the left like an American book. Plus it was wider than it was tall, which isn't like the manga I've seen, though I can't rule out that there are some like that. And... seriously? She turns into a video game character? What kind of power is that?

I'm not thrilled by all the "It's coming" stuff. Building the season around a looming apocalypse is a well the original series went to repeatedly, and I was hoping the revival would have some new tricks.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The opening was alittle clunky and I still haven't got a handle on the nw characters, but it seems like it'll bea good storyline. I like how they've broght back Molly Walker and she looks good BTW and Rene's death was a shocker.

11. The Old Mixer

I dunno...I'll stick with it, but I wasn't really feeling it. I thought that the webisodes did a better job giving us a sense of how Clair's coming out had changed things in the years since.

And Molly sure did grow up. (For the record, not the same actress.)

Well, according to IMDb...

...he'll only be in one episode.

12. Morpheus 02

i liked it...definitely felt like Season 1....or perhaps how season 2 should have felt.

Definitely will be tracking this.

Very sad about the HAitian....he's one of those you'd like to see again. If IBDB is right, then he'll be back for some flashbacks.

SO the guys with the pennies is a new character? I thought he was Matt Parkman's dad..

13. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't even remember who Molly was in the original show.

14. The Old Mixer

The little girl who could track anyone...her parents were killed by Sylar...Matt Parkman found her hiding in the house in the second episode. She was living with Parkman and Suresh in Season 2.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the name sounded familiar.
    This was a good start, and probably my favorite premiere of the season so far.
    I really like where they took things after Claire revealed powers. The opening at the summit was pretty cool with all of the Evos showing off their powers.
    The teleporter kid was my favorite new character. I'm already wondering if Penny Man is the kid's father. That would be the most logical explanation for why he's protecting him.
    I'm glad that they focused so much on Noah, he was one of my favorite characters in the original, and his story here is pretty interesting.
    I'm not really sure what to make of Miko's storyline right now. The whole jumping into the video game thing is kind of weird, but it was fun too. I just have to wonder exactly what role she is going to play in the bigger story if that is all she can do.
    Levi Miller's character and his wife are interesting villains. They definitely ruthless, and most certainly the bad guys, but they did manage to make them somewhat sympathetic, and interesting.
    I am disappointed to see them killing The Hatian so quickly, he was one of my favorite characters on the original series and I was hoping he'd be in more of Reborn.
    The big arc was really interesting, and I looking forward to seeing where things are going. I'm especially curious to see what happened with Mohinder that he found himself from for the Odessa attack. It will be interesting to see what kind of role he plays in the arc.
    I am looking forward to seeing where Hiro, Matt and Angela play.

16. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

The premiere was nostalgic, confusing, and disjointed, with too many characters (mostly new and unfamiliar) and subplots that are typical of a pilot episode for a new show. But this isn't really a new series per se; to me it's merely a continuation of Heroes following a very long hiatus. ;)

Some of the old familiar key players like the Petrelli brothers, Claire Bennett, Hiro, and Sylar are nowhere to be found (in Hiro's case, not yet anyway). Noah Bennett is the only anchor to the past, from a storytelling standpoint. The new arrivals are either vicious hunters or "evos" forced to run away or hide because of their super abilities. Renautas (supposed to be a Latin derivative of "reborn") is a mysterious agency that took over Primatech Industries, but whose side is it on?

Not a bad episode overall. There are only 13?

ETA: Renatus = Latin for "reborn"

Even the Haitian's name, my namesake, means reborn in French. :)

17. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Surprisingly well done. A tale well woven, not perfect, but appetite whetted.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This sounds like every single episode after Season 1. :p

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if they recast Molly for any reason other than the twist at the end, but it looks like the original actress hasn't been in anything since 2010.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I voted "Cautiously Optimistic." It might be a couple of days before I have time to watch it.