Things to do with an xtra Xbox360

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mistral, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a spare 360 and would like help finding a way to re-purpose it. It doesn't matter how technical it is-I just want to find another use for it.

"Give it to me." is not a viable reply and, yes, I already have a doorstop.:klingon:

Any serious help is appreciated.:techman:

2. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any friends you could let borrow it?

After I ungraded to an Elite I let my girlfriend use my old one, though she doesn't use it near as much as I did.

3. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Store it until your other one RRODs?

4. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's kind of what I did, but in end, I ended up selling both of them. And it turns out the "backup 360" that I sold to a friend ended up RRODing before the refurbished unit did.

5. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

put XBMC or whatever they're calling it now . . . turn it into a media server

6. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

^don't think XBMC works on the 360, only the orig. Xbox (I think?)

7. Mistral

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Just one question: What the heck are you talking about?

8. Twilight

http://xbmc.org/

It's a super slick media center mod with codecs galore.

But again, it only works with a modded Xbox (original, not 360) so I don't think it applies to you.

9. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

How's it rate against TVersity?

10. Twilight

Not sure, but it was super well received (back when Xboxes were popular - I think it's kindof dying off in the days of 360 and dime-a-dozen Media center platforms like Apple TV, WMC, etc.)

I think it was quasi-legal in that it requires a modded Xbox, which I believe does technically violate the EULA, but whatever ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBoxMediaCenter

ETA: Ahh, Tversity does run on 360 - so that's a great option for the OP for his extra console

http://tversity.com/

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Flog it on eBay and buy some new games with the proceeds? Easy & practical! Not very technical though, I admit. :)

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Xbox Media Center does indeed require a modded Xbox. Once I bought my 360 I stopped using my original Xbox online so I didn't care about the EULA. Luckily for me I had a copy of Mechwarrior which contains an exploit that allows other software to be installed via a hacked saved game.

With the 360 locked down a lot tighter than the Xbox ever was, the developers of XBMC have started projects to create a XBMC Linux distro and versions that run on Windows and Mac OS X.

13. Twilight

^Okay, thanks. I know XBMC technically required Orig. Xbox but I didn't take the time to google around to see if anybody had successfully plopped it onto a 360, which would've required some creative tricks.

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^No, there's no chance it would work. Microsoft have done a good job keeping homebrew off the Xbox 360. It's not really necessary anyway since the 360 has no trouble playing many popular video formats (WMV, DivX, XviD, MP4 etc).

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If an Xbox RRoDs and it gets repaired, what are the chances it RRoDs again? Because my old Xbox got repaired under the warranty and I want to sell it, but I don't want to sell someone a lemon.

16. Mistral

Sadly, I'm manic-compulsive about games. I pick one and stick with it until the next big thing. The daisychain looks like this:

Ghost Recon to Crimson Skies to Halo2 to Halo3(briefly) to COD4 to COD5. And that covers 5 years of gaming. Like I said, sad.

I bookmarked TVersity but what is it for?

A buddy modded his xbox and replaced the drive-he loaded 3000 movies on it-I'd love a mod for my 360 like this.

17. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

TVersity streams my media of my computer over my network to my 360 to watch on my TV. I have a lot of my DVDs and TV on DVD stored on my computer so instead of getting up and playing with discs, I just go through the menus with the remote. The ultimate in lazy bastardness!

18. Twilight

Well, it's quite likely that you didn't get the same console back anyway.

When you send an RRoD'ed console in for "repair", it really goes into a "repair queue" and they "quickly" (I use the term loosely ;) ) send you a different console that has already passed through the repair queue. Your actual console will be sent to somebody else some time down the road.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I checked my serial no. and it matched. Unless they just took off the shell and replaced the innards. Though it would explain why it wouldn't let me play my DLC without being connected to Live. :(

20. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think your console ID is attached to the mother board and that's what they use for the DRM.