Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Fist McStrongpunch, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Until Aquaman gets pissed and stabs Namor in the face with a trident.:eek:

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That reminds of some fan art I saw years ago: Thanos blathering on about the Infinity Gems and his love for blessed death to the Gaiman Death, who is holding her head and saying 'will you just shut up.'

3. Hartzilla2007

You know in a merged DC Marvel universe I can't help but think that Peter Parker would point out to Mephisto about how Nekron's similar deal with Wally West bit him in ass.

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the merger is post-New52 Mephisto will say "Wally who?"

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not seeing a Sinestro Corps Galactus, he's not about fear, he's a force of nature. The Anti-Monitor is more of a typical villain than Galactus, who has been portrayed as not preferring to interact with lower life-forms. Plus, the Anti-Monitor comes from the Anti-Matter Universe, where, during his exile, Sinestro took control of the Qwardian Weaponeers who he eventually used to make the rings for his Corps. Lastly, the Anti-Monitor has a history with the Guardians.

However, it would be awesome to see billions and billions of Black Lanterns take on Galactus and his heralds for destroying their worlds.

Peter Parker getting a Blue Ring would be great, but Steve Rogers also deserves one (though so did Superman, and they went with Barry Allen, instead).

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Blue is hope, right? I don't see that as Spider-Man's defining emotional trait. If anything, he's a perennial pessimist, always bemoaning the rotten "Parker luck" and how lousy a deal he's gotten. But if there's one thing that consistently comes through in his adventures -- most of all in the iconic "The Final Chapter" in ASM #33 -- it's his indomitable will power. No matter how beaten down he is, no matter how much despair he feels and how overwhelmingly the odds are against him, he simply refuses to give up, and it's that dogged determination that carries him through. There's no question that if Peter Parker were recruited into a Lantern Corps, it would be the Green one.

I can see Steve Rogers getting a blue/hope ring, but it would also work for Reed Richards, I think, since his career is all about optimism about the future and the yearning to discover what lies ahead. Charles Xavier is also a symbol of hope.

Hey -- imagine J. Jonah Jameson as a Red Lantern. The guy has rage to spare.

This thread needs fan art.

7. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aw, now I want to see a black and green Spider-Man, lantern symbol behind his spidey chest emblem, swinging from green energy webs.

8. Christopher

The Internet has everything...

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen...r-man-be-if-he-became-a-green-lantern/712260/

http://acreativeuniverse.com/Christopher/green-spidermancomic-book-artgreen-lantern/

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17977&page=2

And here's a thread of fan art for various comic figures as Lantern Corps members, including a Green Spider (my term, not theirs):

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/artist-show-off/4/round-robin-numbah-11/664831/

9. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure, Peter may come across as pessimistic, but I think there's a small degree of hope to him, seeing as how, no matter what, he puts on the costume. I think it's at least in part due to his hope that he can redeem himself for Ben's death.

But, you do make a good argument for him getting a green ring. And it frees up the Blue Ring to go to Steve Rogers, who, despite his every once in a while despair, for the most part puts on the costume in the hope of representing the ideals of this country.

Sue Richards might get the Sapphire Ring, but I'm not sure about Reed getting a blue ring. Xavier, yes, or else why would he bother continually trying to make peace with Homo Sapiens. Magneto might be suited for an Indigo ring, given his many times of being rehabilitated.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the two companies should do it. Lord knows it won't mess up the continuity anymore than it already has been. Mephisto can make a deal with Pandora (or whoever created Flashpoint). "Did I say three universes had to be united? I meant four, plus two multiverses--yeah, that's right."

Gotham and Metropolis already exist with the real world cities so it is not a stretch. There was room enough in Star Trek for a plethora of Empires so there shouldn't be a problem with the Shi'ar and the Khunds duking it out along their borders. The Nova Corps can have been an offshoot of the GL Corps due to some philosophical BS. And the Silver Surfer and the Phantom Stranger can have long interior monologue brooding sessions.

OMAC can face off against the Hulk, and the Blue Beetle can become friends with Spidey and the Torch. The Young Avengers can hang with the Teen Titans.

It all works out nicely, until Galactus decides that it is time to eat up Apokalips.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  11. Christopher

Just imagine the confusion if Apocalypse tried to conquer Apokolips...

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Darkseid would have him in tossed in the fire pits.

13. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Other way around.

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. In Gaiman's version. she IS Death, not an aspect of it. I know at one point there was a Capt Atom story that said otherwise, but Gaiman said that was done without his input.

15. Satyrquaze

What makes Gaiman's version of Death more important than say Starlin's?

16. Christopher

Um, the fact that she's a cute Goth girl rather than a distaff Skeletor? ;)

17. Satyrquaze

^The fanboy's point is noted. :p

Not that it should be a cuteness or gothness should be a deciding factor in which version of Death takes suzerainty over the other, but Starlin's Death isn't... unattractive when she's making the point of appearing to have flesh.

18. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fact that dc's death is part of a larger group of similar beings.

19. Christopher

I suppose my point, aside from cute Goth girls being a nice thing, is that Gaiman's version strikes me as more imaginative and original an approach to the concept of an embodiment of Death, as one would naturally expect of Neil Gaiman. Although I'm speaking not as a "fanboy," but as a casual observer who has only a passing familiarity with either character. But of the two, it's Gaiman's version that seems to loom larger in the public consciousness, given that I know what she looks like and maybe a little about her personality, whereas I know practically nothing about Thanos's inamorata and had to look her up on the Marvel Wiki to find out what she looked like.

20. Hartzilla2007

He tried that one time and found it was too dead to be worth eating or something and just left.