Could Fury have worked with a rewrite?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Oct 27, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually I was thinking of that. Maybe just not tell them. Terra Prime, this is the finale! But I would be watching TOS and VOY first so that might be prep enough to deal with Star Trek being fallible.

2. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Ha! That's pretty funny to hide the existance of the ENT finale.
    I've done something a little similar. I'm also a big Dark Shadows fan. My niece really likes it and has seen some of it, but it's a huge series - like over 1500 eps I think, and she hasn't had time to watch it all and wanted me to tell her spoilers for the series, and I deliberately excluded a very needless death of one of the characters, figuring I was doing her a kindness, so she can live in a world where that didn't happen. And if she ever does watch more of the series, I figure she should have some surprises.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Berman had been kicked off the set, Braga wasn't that present either. For some reason, after neglecting the show or a year, having probablyy not watched any of Many Coto's season, they found an old unused season 2 script, polished it a little and pretended that they were welcome as they reversed everything to n one's benefit.

4. Guy Gardener

Where do you find all these initiates?

Is this how you get people to come back to your place from the singles bar?

"I have season 6 of Voyager on DVD, you haven't seen Life Line until you've seen Life Line with the Writers commentary from Picardo... Rrrrrrgggr."

5. teacake

This youngest one I have actually bred with my own body. This is the best way to insure the continuance of Star Trek because they are susceptible to liking stuff more when allowed to stay up late and provided with quality snacks.

Otherwise I've had a boost up via JJ, having spread a lot of Trek around with folk who got initiated that way.

6. Guy Gardener

A spread via jj?

Now who is trying to subliminally XXX this forum?

7. teacake

THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY GOAL

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I must admit that I gave up "ENT" after just a few episodes. Partly because I found most of the characters a bit lame and uninteresting and I didn't like how established Trek history was screwed up. But most of all because I was sick and tired of Berman, Braga and the others after the last seasons of Voyager and because I was strongly against a retro show. I found it a step in the wrong direction.

Maybe I'll watch the whole series in the future but now I'm going through DS9, a series which I didn't have the opportunity to watch all seasons of, due to stupid policy of the local company which aired it where I live. Therefore I've only watched season 1 and some occasional episodes of the other seasons. I've re-watched season 1 now and will continue with the rest of them.

Seems that I'm still living in the 24th century!:techman:

9. borgboy

The last couple of seasons of DS9 were pulled from my area too and it was years until I finally got to see them on DVD.
    I can understand the issues with ENT, but I think it gets better as it goes along, especially the last season. With the series coming out on blu ray, there's that option and probably cheap used DVD sets to be had if you reconsider checking it out. With new Trek only coming out as movies with years apart, at least as far as tv and movies, it's nice that you still have a lot of episodes that will be new to you.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sadly, maybe you just drew the short straw and fell in love with the wrong character. :shrug:

11. borgboy

I'm not sure about the wrong or right character.
    I was a lot more upset about Fury than I ever was about Kes's inital exit.
    My favorite DS9 character is Jadzia Dax and they killed her off, and I was less upset about that than I was about Fury. Jadzia died, but it was a good story that was part of a longer reaching arc, and the character continued to be important to the show thru the end of the series. Even with Jadzia being killed the character was written with respect and care.
    Fury really does feel like the writers were flipping the audience off, metaphoricly. I can't think of any other regular Trek character that I think was treated that badly.

12. exodus

I have no doubt, not all of them were.
    Some folks can't be nice or are unaware they can be nasty.

How often did you write them in this letter campaign?
    Was is one letter signed by a bunch of fans or several letters?

13. exodus

Got it, I was a HUGE Jadzia Dax fan myself.

My thing about picking the wrong character: example: I like Jar Jar Binks. Now I understand why others don't like him but I don't find him as annoying to the degree everyone else does but I'm also aware that I picked the wrong character to like.
    Due the writing staff dropping the ball on her so many times, Kes just became (IMO) the wrong character to like because they wrote her into a corner. (Yes, I do think they did and couldn't fix her, which is why she had to go unfortunately) As I said in another post, I don't hate Kes. I just find her development very disappointing.

14. borgboy

I don't get at all that Kes was written into a corner. Anyone that cared to could've written a good story about her at any time. They definitely were moving in the right direction by ending her relationship with Neelix, she was growing as a person. If her powers were becoming a problem she could've easily lost those powers, maybe the result could've been by pushing Voyager so far thru space she damaged the part of her brain that caused her powers. Personally I liked her mysterious abilities and thought there was a lot of potential to use them, I always liked the stories that dealt with that, such as when she met the colonly of Ocampans.

15. Guy Gardener

"We can't write Kes Stories" was a lie they told to justify not following through on their moist desire to terminate Wang.

16. borgboy

I don't buy that they couldn't write good Kes stories. A good writer should be able to write good stories about any character on a tv show for the big bucks they make, and there's plenty of interesting details with Kes to work with. Psychic, short life span, a young woman still coming into her own independence, and Kes could've been a surrogate sister to Seven, someone they could both be protective of. Seven has a motherly relationship with Janeway (with romantic subtext depending on who you ask) and an antagonistic relationship with B'lanna. Seven and the Doctor had a good relationship, with both of them struggling to find their place in the universe. I think there was room for Kes and Seven to have a different friendship, and don't see where Seven coming on board had to push Kes out. The frustrating thing about them keeping Kim over Kes is that really never did anything all that memorable with him anyways.

17. Guy Gardener

I don't buy that they were good writers.

Voyager was using the same template they stole off TNG, who stole it off TOS who stole it off Gunsmoke... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Multimillion dollar Madlibs.

18. Lynx

Maybe I did too? :weep:

As for fandom, I watched every episode up to "The Gift" when I did quit for two years. Then decided to give the series a new chance, borrowing VHS tapes to watch the episodes I had missed, then got "Fury" as a reward for my fandom, quit again and only watched "Endgame" after that. And yes, I have all the season 1-3 novels to and really like them. Some of them are better than many of the TV episodes.

As for the letter campaign, I did know about some other Kes/Jennifer Lien fansites and one of them came up with the campaign, in 1999 I think.

exodus wrote:
    It was several letters and mails. I did only write them once and it was a nice and polite letter. I was well aware of the fact that an angry letter wouldn't accomplish anything.

borgboy wrote:
    I totally agree. I must point out that one of the things that really did annoy me was how it was presented from the beginning. First they told us that Lien had "quit of her own free will", then, when it was obvious to everyone that she had been sacked, they started to come up with this "we couldn't write for the character" fairy tales.

Compare that with NCIS where both the company and the actress came up with the reasons why the actress who played Caitlin Todd wanted to leave the show, although I have to mention that I didn't like that they killed off the character.

In fact, I didn't like that they killed off Tasha yar and Jadzia Dax either. They should learn from the Bobby Ewing example:
    "If an actor or actress leaves or get fired, don't kill off the character. You might have to re-instate the actor, actress and character later on".

19. borgboy

If you're going to steal, steal from the best.
    I agree that shows should be careful killing off characters. I think with Jadzia and Tasha it worked out though. Jadzia has one of the best death stories ever imo. Her death is part of the bigger Dominion War/Dukhat story, and it really brought some real drama to the story. Her death was treated seriously, Jadzia was never forgotten, and it brought in a new Dax, Ezri, who had a good story arc about her adjusting to being joined and continuing to live among Jadzia's friends. Jadzia lived on thru Ezri. I like Ezri, but I like Jadzia better. Still, with Terry Farrell leaving I think what they did made for a good story, better than just transferring Jadzia to a new posting where we never saw her.
    Both Farrell and Crosby chose to leave at least. Tasha's death story was pretty poorly done, but we did get Sela out of the deal, who made for a really great villain, and we got the great Yesterday's Enterprise with an alternate Tasha. I'd say all things considered Jadzia and even Yar got treated a lot better than Kes. Jadzia got basicly reincarnated, and Yar got Yesterday's Enterprise, while Kes got The Fury.

20. Lynx

Neither can I.

I never felt so angry or insulted over any movie or episode as I was over "Fury". I still see it as a spit in the face of the Kes fans.

(OK, there was a movie some years ago in the country where I live where people from my home province was described as poachers, cheaters, criminals and lousy bastards in general. That annoyed me even more. But it was made by snotty jerks in the capital of the country and I never expected anything decent from them. I had more confidence in Berman and the others once upon the time).