options for new Star Trek visual entertainment

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Mar 8, 2009.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

If we as fans were presented with 7 options for new Star Trek entertainment what would you choose?

1. new live-action weekly television series in High Definition with new ship [USS Excelsior from set blueprints from Star Trek VI], new crew, set after ST:TOS but before ST: TNG perhaps starting with 12 episodes not 23.
    2. new live action serial 3-part serial shot in 3-D high definition at the cinema (and future 3D home media) set before ST:TNG.
    3. a 6-part 61 minute live-action miniseries shot in & projected digitally in 3-D high definition only available weekly only at the cinema for $6./ticket.
    4. the new Star Trek animated series pitched in 2006 (on the wikipedia.com page for Star Trek) in High Definition as several 6 minute episodes for the Internet.
    5. the new Star Trek animated entire series pitched in 2006 as a 85 minute direct-to-video DVD/Blu-ray.
    6. a different new Star Trek CGI animated 6-part HDTV miniseries (6 hours) using motion capture/CGI but set on the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) using the set blueprints from the original Art Director Matt Jefferies to create accurate CG ship interiors. Not high end movie CGI but adequate for HD animation like a videogame HD trailer. The roles of Kirk, Spock, McCoy could be kept and sound-alike-voice actors could be used. 3-D likenesses of the actors Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley from 1960s photos could be used. Also available 6 months later on DVD/Blu-ray. The CGI visual look somewhere between Atari's new 2009 GHOSTBUSTERS", the video game trailer and 'Star wars:The Clone Wars' 2008 TV series. They could use unfinished/unused scripts from ST:TOS and the 1974 animated series using the original characters. Possibly using a cross between full CGI and a videogame physics/game engine similar to Machinima animation movies to create all the shots. They are telling science fiction stories here on a budget not making a movie. The $fees to get Shatner and Nimoy to do narration VO sessions would be astronomical compared to the animated series in 1974...or...maybe they would do it.
    7. Immediate greenlight on the next 2 Star Trek XIII feature films with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban. Plan for 2011 release date. Keep same visual look from the 2009 film. Shoot 2 films back to back.

2. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I'm going to call you High Definition if you don't mind.:lol:

I'd like a new series on the Excelsior. And of course the next 2 Trek movies, but I don't need to wish for it because I'm sure it'll happen.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An Excelsior series while George Takei is still around to be Sulu would be sweet, otherwise no.

I guess I'd rather have a live-action show. An animated show would be fine, but no CGI please.

I'd prefer a 25th century setting if Excelsior is not an option.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

moving to future of trek

5. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

None of these, but #7 is closest. Let's just let the movies flow however they're going to flow, then I'd like to see a TV series based on that version somewhere down the line.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

TV series with the cast from Trek XI. I don't care if they're big movie stars at that point, they should get their butts onto TV. :klingon:

7. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

TV series /XII feature film

Actually this is an interesting thought. The cast from TrekXI [aka Trek 2.0]

Chris Pine ... Kirk
    Zachary Quinto ... Spock
    Eric Bana ... Nero
    Simon Pegg ... Scotty
    Winona Ryder ... Amanda Grayson
    Karl Urban ... Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy
    John Cho ... Lt. Hikaru Sulu
    Zoe Saldana ... Lt. Nyota Uhura

These are all relatively small name actors except Winona Ryder and Simon Pegg.
    Should Paramount decide to greenlight 2 more feature films shot back to back with these actors [like Disney did with 'Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3'] they would not be on television. Now if Paramount decides to wait 6 months to figure out what they want to do a television series is possible as a long-term revenue stream for the ST franchise. [It is a business to Paramount and this is just ONE ASSET.]
    Really something to consider...

Then if they do decide to do another feature film with that cast will we see an animated or live-action miniseries with a different cast?

8. TS-1838-SWATH

TS-1838-SWATH Commander Red Shirt

Re: TV series /XII feature film

Aside from Winona Ryder the only two I have herd of Zachary Quinto via HEROS & John Cho - Harold and Kumar

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Simon Pegg is pretty famous, from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Eric Bana too. He was a Delta operator in Black Hawk Down, the Hulk in Ang Lee's Hulk, and some other stuff that doesn't come to mind immediately. Of course Eric Bana wouldn't be in any TV show, insofar as I strongly predict Baron Zemo, I mean Nero, is going to die.

10. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

As much as I would love to see Trek on TV again, I say just keep it in the movies for a while so option 7 for me

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I don't care what they do as long as it is good.

In recent years, the bar has been raised considerably for Scifi TV. If Star Trek can't rise to the quality of shows like Lost or Battlestar Galactica then it doesn't deserve to come back.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I think Star Trek should scrub the film franchise (They're never any good, anyway.) and limit television to mini-series.

TV Trek has problems with its "stamina." Doing a mini-series every four of five years would limit these problems.

Plus, since the added financial pressure that comes film doesn't apply, we can leave the Super Slayin' Samurai Sulu at home.

13. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

:wtf:

How so?

14. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even if Star Trek fails this May, they've no doubt stored the sets away - having spent a small fortune revamping the look. They'll probably still go the straight to DVD route, replacing the big screen for a modern day B movie... Dukes of Hazzard, American Pie, Starship Troopers - plenty more in that list, modest budget sequels. If this was where the franchise was headed, I would've just reunited a TV cast and cater to an existing fanbase. But since they sold off all the original sets and props used prior to 2006...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  15. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I will take options 1 or 7 myself. Either another live action series or more Abrams movies. The cast are already signed up to do sequels, aren't they?

And I wouldn't mind a post-Voyager and Nemesis 24th C show, either. I do feel sad that Trek has given up on going forward.