The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The worst part is that Mattel has plenty of batarangs from previous figures that they could have just thrown in. No new tooling required. The lack of any accessory here is just cheap and lazy.

2. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

Got the Fighter Pods! The Enterprise is fantastic, although it does have a little bit of Rule 34 going on. Somehow Hasbro got the paint apps right and Fighter Pod Kirk looks more like Chris Pine than the Playmates figures did.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Even Hasbro at its sloppiest would recycle at least one old accessory so you'd get at least one to go with your figure and more value. This is one of many reasons I don't ever want a company like Mattel to get its hands on the Star Wars action figure license.

Disney, don't drop the ball on this.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The game is awesome...but the figures do nothing for me I'm afraid. I kind of hope they release "the other Earth" Batman design :) It's kind of Arkham Aslyum-ish though so maybe they won't because of the similarity.

5. OdoWanKenobi

Mattel seems pretty committed to Injustice. We already know that figures of Superman, the Joker, and Green Lantern are on their way. I'm surprised we're getting an Injustice Green Lantern before a New 52 version. I would have thought finishing out the New 52 Justice League would be a priority. Aquaman is coming soon, but we've yet to hear anything on Hal or Cyborg.

6. Admiral_Young

^ I'm sure they'll finish off the Unlimited line for the New 52 League. My guess we could hear some kind of announcement around SDCC time. My biggest continuing disappointment is that we never got a Dick Grayson Batman released from "Batman and Robin". I always dug the little tweaks to his costume. Damian needs his partner damn it! :)

7. OdoWanKenobi

With Damian coming in Batman Unlimited, I hold out hope for a Dick Grayson Batman. It would seem to fit perfectly into the line. I'm amazed that I'm actually enjoying that line more than the broader DC Unlimited. Batman is going to fun places, while DC is stuck in the New 52 and Injustice. A whole line of crazy Batman variants is fantastic. I never expected we would see a Dark Knight Returns, Zur En Arrh, or Vampire version. Surely if they're willing to branch out that far, a Dick Grayson Batman can't be too far behind? Base the general look off of Quietly's Batman and Robin art. Put him on the skinnier buck, and give him a headsculpt with a smirk on it. Come on Matty, you know you want to.

8. Admiral_Young

My most wanted figure outside of Facless Joker which I think is coming in the fall time...has to be a Greg Capullo Batman! This must happen. I like the Jim Lee DC Collectible one (I don't like the Unlimited version) but I really want a Capullo one.

9. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

Okay, today I found the KREO Klingon Bird of Prey and the assorted blind bag KREONs. Just like the GI Joe KREONs the blind bags are subtly marked so you can identify them:

05 = Nero
    06 = Keenser
    07 = Lt. Sprog
    08 = Klingon
    09 = Gorn
    10 = Grasia

There are six different ones and each bag comes with a KREON and assembly instructions. The Klingon has a jacket accessory that is not included with any of the Klingons in the Kreon sets. Below is a picture of Keenser and his instructions. I was amused to note that on the picture his goggles are unpainted. Also in the picture is a Fighter Pod that is too big a fighter to fit in a pod!

[​IMG]

I got a couple of packs of the Fighter Pods, and the Enterprise. The Enterprise is my favorite toy of the new movie line so far. It feels good to hold and zoom around, and I think it would be fun to take into the tub like a little kid. The plastic on the nacelle struts is a little bendier than I'd like, but that is probably a safety precaution to prevent shattering when kids put too much stress on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only weird thing about it is the action pod/torpedo they included with it. It is designed to shoot out of the deflector dish. The opening is very shallow and as the pod is longer the deflector dish will not close while the pod is inserted and it makes me think of a penis poking out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

publiusr likes this.
  10. OdoWanKenobi

A Capullo version would be awesome. Considering how recently we just got the Lee version, though, I don't see one coming any time soon. Maybe in the Black and White statue line?

There is a big difference between DC Collectibles and Mattel's stuff, though. Mattel doesn't really make figures based on a specific art style. They use a group of bucks, and all characters must fit on one of these bucks (there are a few exceptions.) In this way, the figures are more of a general look, and have a bit more consistency together. DC Collectibles sculpts all of their figures from the ground up, and often time will base them on a specific artist's interpretation. I like that we have both lines, and the variety that they provide for collectors.

11. cooleddie74

KREO-style toys have never been my thing but that new Enterprise and the associated blind bags and accessories look kinda good. I don't know if I'll bother to pick up any of it, but the photos make it all look more appealing than the original Web descriptions made it sound.

12. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

Oh, I should clarify. The Enterprise pictured is a Fighter Pod Enterprise. I have only seen these at one Toys R Us so far (went to four in a toy hunt road trip yesterday.) The KREOS were at two of the four TRUs.

13. cooleddie74

They should be hitting my local stores right about now if they haven't already. I'll check them out if I spot them during the course of the coming week.

14. Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino Ensign Newbie

Hi Biffette. I found my Fighter Pods Enterprise & some booster packs at the Olympia Toys R Us, was this where you found yours? :bolian:

15. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

No, I didn't go that far south. I hit the TRUs from Lynnwood to Tacoma, skipping Bellevue. I'm glad you found the Fighter Pods! Here was what I found in which store:

Lynnwood: KREOS (Enterprise, Space Dive, Transporter, Shuttlecraft)
    Tukwila: Fighter Pods (blind bags, All Attack Pods, Enterprise)
    Kent: Nothing!
    Tacoma: KREOS (Klingon Bird of Prey, Shuttlecraft, blind bags)
    Puyallup: Nothing!

What seemed really odd to me was that aside from the KREO shuttlecraft none of the stores had the same items. Not even empty shelf space/pegs with stickers for the items not currently stocked.

That Enterprise is sweet but I'm afraid I'm going to lose those little blue wings on the attack pod. Had some fun enacting when Spock got mad and shot Kirk onto the ice planet though. What are your thoughts about them?

ETA: When I fill the bridge with those little guys it looks like a Mexican standoff.

16. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Movie night! Popcorn:

[​IMG]

That's a lot of popcorn. :p

[​IMG]

Don't forget the Coke!

[​IMG]

17. cooleddie74

He's doing more Coke than Rick James.

18. Kira's Mom

^I think your commentary is funnier than my pictures. :p

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

19. OdoWanKenobi

Clint: "I'm going to need a very long straw."

20. Kira's Mom

I think tomorrow they're going to help me bake. I even have little doll sized baking pans. :lol:

Stay tuned for Cinco de Mayo shenanigans! Also, the Kentucky Derby is on Saturday...I'll try to come up with something for that.