David Slade Will Direct Daredevil for Fox

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While playing the bongo drums, shirtless?

2. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Daredevil's rights should've reverted to Marvel so he could appear in Avengers 2 as Hulk's defence lawyer after he tears up Manhatten.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I wonder how close to the mark a movie can come to having a cameo by a character that they don't specifically own. I wonder if having a blind lawyer simply referred to as "Mr. Murdock" in a brief part would be a violation? After all, IIRC, Magneto's plastic cell at the end of the first "X-Men" movie was clearly built by "Stark Industries", even though FOX had zero rights to Iron Man.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It was. I haven't re-watched that in some time. Where is the phrase "Stark Industries" used in conjunction with the plastic cell? I'm curious to have my memory jogged.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^IIRC, it was written on a piece of machinery. I haven't seen the movie for a while myself, but am sure I remember seeing that.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I think the way it works is that they could probably make brief references to "Mr. Murdock" so long as no actor was cast to play him on screen.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nah, if you need a lawyer, just use "Jennifer Walters."

I mean, Marvel has already got the HULK rights back.

8. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Contrary to popular opinion, I thought Slade did a really good job directing Eclipse. Anyone who can wring some life out of Stephenie Meyer's turgid, overwrought prose and pull a semi-watchable movie out of it must have some skill. :p

9. Captain Craig

Good point.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "Daredevil" reboot has a writer and Fox wants him to adapt the famous "Born Again" story. This is no surprise since it was long rumored that this was going to be the idea for a possible "Daredevil 2". The writer is from "Fringe".

http://collider.com/brad-caleb-kane-daredevil/95259/

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is good news. Like some of the other posters, I liked the first Daredevil, though I felt the theatrical version was flawed. The director's cut is better, though it doesn't correct all of the film's problems.

I liked Slade's work in 30 Days of Night, didn't know he did Hard Candy. I thought he did a good job with Twilight. It was a lot better than New Moon, IMO. The pacing, the sense of foreboding, he made a Twilight film that evoked some real tension and didn't shy away from the action.

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since they are rebooting, it seems like it would make more sense to start with an adaptation of Man Without Fear. If I had my druthers, it would be Man Without Fear for the first film, the whole Bullseye-Elektra stuff for the second, and Born Again for the third.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It might be one of those reboots/not reboots. The first Daredevil movie ended with Kingpin in jail. I imagine that's how this one starts.

I was never a fan of the Elektra character (I preferred his interactions with Black Widow) so I don't mind missing out that chapter of DD's life.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

15. Obiwanshinobi

Phew! I thought they were referring to Pattinson for a second there.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Would that be so bad, though? I mean, I've never seen a single second of the Twilight series, I don't know if he can act or not. But he looks the part and he's getting decent enough reviews for the likes of Water for Elephants. I don't think he's interested in another franchise, so it's all academic anyway. But if they cast someone like him, at least it'd help make the movie successful and we'd get a proper series of DD movies.

It's not that I actively want him to be cast (and I don't think he will be) but I could live with it.

17. Obiwanshinobi

I've seen him in The Twilight movies and Water for Elephants. He's an ok actor, I think he is actually a better actor than Kristin Stewart. I don't think he looks the part. The other guy, however, Xavier is it? would be more in the general direction. He's just not a name though. They both look too young to even be credible lawyers. I'd say Sam Worthington or maybe Eric Bana. If Evans or Reynolds can do it, why not him? He would look strange with red hair though.

Hmm yeah I dunno. How about Eric Stoltz?

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I like David Slade, but he's only made one good film (Hard Candy) and everything else he's made since then has sucked. I hope that with a good script and decent material (the "Born Again" story is one of the finest arcs in all of comics, especially Daredevil comics) that Slade can make a good film.

I think after X-Men: First Class, the tide is turning a little bit with 20th Century Fox. I hope they are approaching their comic-book movies differently, and they allow Slade to make the badass superhero movie that I'm sure he can, and hopefully will, make. I have confidence in Slade, at the very least because Hard Candy was such an impressive directorial debut.

19. Obiwanshinobi

I actually liked 30 Days of Night, up until the end. I forgot about Hard Candy. Well maybe he'll cast Patrick Wilson then. That would be far better casting than the Twilight guys.

20. Captain Craig

^^^
    Patrick Wilson could totally work.
    He not only is old enough to look like a lawyer but young enough to not seem "old" per se. He's pulled off action as well in Watchmen and A-Team.
    I like Wilson as Murdock.